Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 245 350 MPI 260 HP Fuel Consumption-gctid810115

Hi all

Probably been done to death but going on a long trip this coming weekend and just wondered if anybody has any advice on getting the best fuel economy with regard to on and off the plane speeds.

Additionally for best economy what position should trim tabs be in.

Cheers

(The above is the result of not researching what boat to get before you buy it!!!!!) (Arghhhhhhhhhhhh)

Prop set up is probably the biggest determinate of what kind of mileage your boat will generate. I simply use 2 MPG running at 3250 RPM and 26.5 MPH. It's truly slightly better (maybe 2.2), but this is my math for long range cruising in "kind" wave conditions. I don't run trim tabs other than to level the boat if it's windy or loaded on a side. I also just touch the lower unit trim up. In other words, the trim/tilt is almost all the way to the lowered position. You can adjust by listening to what your engine likes - it sings nicely and yet bits the water well. Run it up and down until you hear and feel what it likes.
    1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
    1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
    1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
    Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
    South Bay Marina

Comment

Go slow or go fast. In between is your worst economy. I typically get my best economy running at 3/4 full throttle. Play with your trim tabs while checking your speed with gps. You'll find the sweet spot with some experimentation. Don't worry, you won't break anything!
      Simo
      2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
      Shameless lurking on Lake Keowee with a Harris Cruiser 210 Tritoon/Mercury 150XL EFI

Comment

Your first problem is not knowing what engine you have. A 350 MPI suggests the 350MAG, which is a 300 hp engine. THe 260 hp suggests the 5.0 MPI, which is a 305.

So which is it?
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

The engine is the 260 HP MPI variant.

As an aside I am toying with the idea of fitting a vacuum gauge to the inlet manifold. By keeping the engine trimmed to as near atmospheric as possible should return the best fuel consumption at a given speed, no?

Comment

Hi Bayliner Information Guide has the following information on your model. Only 4 motors are listed. The 220 hp carbed 305, the 250 hp carbed 350, the 300 hp 350 mpi, and the diesel. No 260 hp 305 engine is listed for your boat. This could be a typo, but no 305 tpi is listed. Go take a look and confirm which engine your boat has and let us know. On tabs, I only use them to level the boat while at cruise speed which is 3500 rpm. Griff.

Comment

"griff" post=810323 wrote:
              Hi Bayliner Information Guide has the following information on your model. Only 4 motors are listed. The 220 hp carbed 305, the 250 hp carbed 350, the 300 hp 350 mpi, and the diesel. No 260 hp 305 engine is listed for your boat. This could be a typo, but no 305 tpi is listed. Go take a look and confirm which engine your boat has and let us know. On tabs, I only use them to level the boat while at cruise speed which is 3500 rpm. Griff.
              It's a typo. The 5.0 MPI was not only offered, it's what most of them came with.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

My experience when I had an accurate MPG gauge, was that at planning speed and above, the MPG changed very little, trimmed properly. I had a way of finding a good neutral trim position for tabs and outdrive. I would look at the horizon and the bow railing, noting the rate (speed) in which the bow went down compared to the rate it went up. A nice smooth bob up and down was neutral. Your trim on tabs and drive will need to change with an increase or decrease of speed. The engine load will also free up when trimmed properly, you will hear it. There are some affordable ways now to get GPH for gasoline engines. http://www.interactio.co/marine-products
                Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
                New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
                GO HAWKS!

Comment

Working...
                X