Portable Generator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable Generator

Hi all. Being a newbie I have only been on short day trips around our lake but am planning on spending a few nights on board. I have bought a small portable generator which I intend fitting on the swim platform for when I am moored up on the lake to run the tv and lights. Am I right in assuming I can plug the generator with the correct lead into the shoreline power socket on the boat?
    Mel & Pauline Martin
    Scottish Borders U.K
    Bayliner 2455 Ciera Sunbridge "Sweet Pea"
    Kielder Yacht Club
    Kielder Northumberland

Yes. You'll need an adapter to plug the the shore power into the gen. What size gen are thinking of getting? I have a 2000 watt Champion inverter that works well and didn't break the bank. It will run the microwave which is nice.
    "Martini's Law"
    1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

It's just a small 1,000 watt but it's only to run the tv and lights when I'm moored on the lake.
      Mel & Pauline Martin
      Scottish Borders U.K
      Bayliner 2455 Ciera Sunbridge "Sweet Pea"
      Kielder Yacht Club
      Kielder Northumberland

Comment

If you are new to portable gensets and/or this type of boating please be very careful of electrocution and Co emissions.

With portables either is possible and in fresh water these electrical issues are very real and very dangerous.

Happy boating
        Northport NY

Comment

"melmartin" post=810114 wrote:
          It's just a small 1,000 watt but it's only to run the tv and lights when I'm moored on the lake.
          We also power our battery charger with our 1000 watt generator.

This is what we use with a short, outdoor extension cord.https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...30 Amp adapter
          Simo
          2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain

Comment

First, welcome to the BOC! Your lights should be 12 volt, and you can get a small inverter to run the TV off the batteries as well. Then just use the genset as needed to charge the batteries.
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
            "GetAway"
            Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Like I said in an earlier post. My on board generator cost me more and more money trying to keep it repaired, that I just gave up and got a portable 3100 Champion with remote start. I love it. Though I can't run everything on board, I can run enough. I agree with Jeffw about using the generator to charge the batteries and run things on board using the batteries. I run mine two hours in the morning and two hours a night to keep the house bank charged. I have a inverter to take care of things the rest of the time.
              Just love being on my 3870............Bill
              1985 3870
              Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
              Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
              Live on board full time.
              North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

I bought a Honda 2000 several years ago and wanted to have it on the boat in case of a dead battery and to keep the fridge going. It has a 12V 8A battery charger so not only can it charge the battery directly, it can run the charger I have on board. I had a problem with my alternator one weekend and having the generator on board saved me...

Even though the generator is very quiet, I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AP95H2/

To run the TV and DVD player (too cheap to get a 12V TV). I see it's unavailable now but I bought it for $25.

I also made up a cord to go from 120V 15A to 120V 30A using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BSTXZ04/

and a cut off extension cord. Usual disclaimers about not doing this yourself unless you know what you are doing.

A friend of mine built a box out of 1/4" plywood (not requested but a great gift) that I bolted to the swim step. The exhaust goes out a hole I cut and I put a lot of vent holes in it, but the lid has to stay open or it gets pretty hot. I take it out when I'm trailering to keep the weight off my aged swim step. The dis-advantage of the box is that it obscures part of my aft nav light so I need to move the light. I'd love to find a fiberglass equivalent.
                1985 Bayliner Ciera 2750
                300HP Volvo Penta 5.7 with DP-A drive

Comment

I have a 2000 watt Honda gen. And I use the shore power plug also with an extension cord ,of course i am anchored 40 miles from no where and need a gen. to run my hot water heater to take showers
                  1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
                  located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

Comment

Please be safe - today news, electric shock drowning....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/heal...ocid=DELLDHP15
                    Northport NY

Comment

smitty477, are you saying that no boater should use a generator at all?
                      Just love being on my 3870............Bill
                      1985 3870
                      Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
                      Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
                      Live on board full time.
                      North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

smitty has a point, but it's not clear to me that a generator on a boat alone could cause ESD (electrical shock death). One apparently authoritative source even says it would not. There are a LOT of houseboats out there (some in crappy condition) that people run generators on and swim off of, yet I haven't read about ESD resulting from that - however, that could be because it was a mis-diagnosed drowning.

Also, imagine this - you have a power boat tied up to a houseboat that is running a generator, and some sort of electrical connection between the houseboat and the power boat (maybe rails touching, or you've run an extension cord to run the microwave on the boat or charge the batteries). I think at that point you've essentially duplicated the conditions of dock power that could result in ESD if there was any marginal wiring. To be on the safe side I'm probably going to shut down the generator when people are swimming. Since I learned about ESD from docks I've never let people swim off docks (even if "everyone else is doing it").

Quickly turning ion to a topic that should have its own thread...
                        1985 Bayliner Ciera 2750
                        300HP Volvo Penta 5.7 with DP-A drive

Comment

The generator of all generators....The fabulous Kipor. Advice....yes you can plug it all in, but are you trying to do too much? If your batteries are in good condition, running a few lights and a stereo or small TV/vcr shouldn't cause much need for a portable. Here in the south, I don't use a generator for anything but air conditioning and battery charging. Even though the boat is large, I still use combo gas/electric stoves and manual most everything I can. But...for a good discusion of generators, start here...

David
                          http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                          http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

"smitty477, are you saying that no boater should use a generator at all?"

I am really just saying to be as educated and careful as possible in my post.

Portable gensets pose a threat that many folks are not aware or especially in fresh water use as in the OP's post

If you are not aware of the potential dangers and know how to handle the grounds and safety it is even a higher risk.

If you read the entire article I linked to it describes how common these terrible events can be in real time.

For some other good feedback you can call your insurance company and see what their thoughts might be as well.

Safe and happy boating to all
                            Northport NY

Comment

Alanmoor - adding some clarity

"One apparently authoritative source even says it would not"

No source that knows the facts will put that in writing if they are then responsible for the results.

"There are a LOT of houseboats out there (some in crappy condition) that people run generators on and swim off of, yet I haven't read about ESD resulting from that - however, that could be because it was a mis-diagnosed drowning."

There are plenty of known ESD events from this situation - read todays article and/or search on Google if you would like to see more of them. The other method to see how risky this is would be to contact your insurance company and request a rider on your policy to cover portable gensets.

"or you've run an extension cord to run the microwave on the boat or charge the batteries). I think at that point you've essentially duplicated the conditions of dock power that could result in ESD if there was any marginal wiring"

Yes - you have just initiated the same condition that could easily lead to ESD as well as severe galvanic corrosion. One will potentially kill you he other will just remove your underwater metals quickly.

Safe and happy boating is the goal - that is all.
                              Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                              X