Electric anchor winch for 2452-gctid810032

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric anchor winch for 2452-gctid810032

I'm new to this forum. And I'm a new /old 1994 2452 owner. I'm in the process of automating my boat with electric downriggers, electric planing boards, electric kicker motor lift with electric remote steering at the helm (I'm going to try this year to see if I can use it like twins for docking) now I'm on to the anchor. I've learned some great information by searching these forums for example I've already changed my trim tabs to a larger size. I'm handicapped so crawling out onto the bow of the boat is out of the question. Searching the forms I've ascertained that it seems like a standard windlass is out of the question or very difficult due to the small size of the anchor Locker. I'll be perch fishing in Lake Erie and will be anchoring in up to 80 feet of water. I've been investigating drum anchor winches and it seems that these could be a good alternative. Is anyone reading this forum that has any experience with the drum winch who could help me with any pitfalls I might encounter. Thanks for any suggestions.

"Hitekdkdr" post=810032 wrote:
    I'm new to this forum. And I'm a new /old 1994 2452 owner. I'm in the process of automating my boat with electric downriggers, electric planing boards, electric kicker motor lift with electric remote steering at the helm (I'm going to try this year to see if I can use it like twins for docking) now I'm on to the anchor. I've learned some great information by searching these forums for example I've already changed my trim tabs to a larger size. I'm handicapped so crawling out onto the bow of the boat is out of the question. Searching the forms I've ascertained that it seems like a standard windlass is out of the question or very difficult due to the small size of the anchor Locker. I'll be perch fishing in Lake Erie and will be anchoring in up to 80 feet of water. I've been investigating drum anchor winches and it seems that these could be a good alternative. Is anyone reading this forum that has any experience with the drum winch who could help me with any pitfalls I might encounter. Thanks for any suggestions.
    I realize you are wanting a windlass for fishing, but I'm not sure how many responses you will get in the Fishing thread. Suggest you repost this to Technical or General Boating.

And welcome to BOC!
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

Given your issues with not being able to crawl out on the deck, you need to keep in mind that the vast majority of windlasses require the anchor to be tied off on a cleat once the anchor is set. Most are not able to stand up to the strain and will quickly wreck the gears. I know of one exception to this, that's the "Good Automatic Windlass", it is advertised and proven in use to not required being tied off.

Anchoring in 80' of water with a 4:1 scope, you'll need 320' of rode out, so you'll need a minimum of 400' of line in your rode locker.

As for as drum type windlass, the only one I know of for smaller boats is EZ-Puller, they make several sizes, not cheap, and in my opinion, ugly as sin mounted on your bow.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X