No announcement yet.

HOLY CRAP! Lesson for EVERYONE to learn. And a question to boot :P-gctid397738

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOLY CRAP! Lesson for EVERYONE to learn. And a question to boot :P-gctid397738

So, while backing the boat into the side yard, there is a pretty steep hump from the sidewalk to the grass. I parked it, got it unloaded then realized it needed to be shifted. So I hitched it up, DIDNT USE A PIN in the lock, and shifted it. Got it over the hump and BOOM. The trailer popped the hitch, smacked the ground and ran backwards into my wooden double gate. No real damage that I can see. I ran both motors and they seem fine. Question is, is there anything I should be concerned about? I have checked over and over and see no cracks, stress marks or anything. I bounced on my motor and transom doesnt move at all. The trailer is a double axel and the tongue fell maybe a foot and a half to two feet.

LESSON: ALWAYS USE A SAFETY PIN IN YOUR TRAILER! Anytime its on the truck. Even if your only moving it 5 feet!

Sorry to hear about your issue, glad no one was hurt. Keep checking it and get a buddy to give it a once over. Maybe mention it to your insurer, in writing, but don't make a claim, just in case something crops up in a month or too that is related to this incident. Better check that trailer tongue, its mounts and frame.
    Trophy WA 2052 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II
    Maple Bay, BC.

Comment

I always do the lift up test after I hook up a trailer.

On smaller trailers that I can lift the tounge without the tounge jack I try to lift it to see if it is properly hitched. If it is, it aint coming off the ball.

On heavier trailers, I jack it up with the tounge jack and if it lifts up the ball and the rear of the truck, I know it's properly latched.

Sounds like the lever that latches under the ball was sitting on top of the ball and thats why it popped off. I get on my knees and visually check to make sure that lever is under the ball in addition to the lift up test.

Comment

I always hook up and then turn the crank on the trailer stand thing. If I can lift the rear of my truck with out the trailer comming off then I know its secure.

The only thing you may want to check is your trailer lights. I did the same thing once and it pulled out the wires for the trail.

Comment

The trailer is not supposed to pop off with no safety pin. I suggest you investigate to see why it did.
          Cheers, Hans
          2007 Carver 41 CMY
          Twin Volvo D6-370
          Montreal, Canada
          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
            The trailer is not supposed to pop off with no safety pin. I suggest you investigate to see why it did.
            Big +1 plus the tongue should have at least 10% of the trailer and boat weight on it. The tongue has an adjustment nut to tighten down the lip below the trailer hitch around the ball. Check that as some will loosen over time... You did no real damage to the boat...
            Doug ;}
            MMSI: 338068776
            "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I moved my boat once from our side yard / RV storage area, to the drive way. Did probably a half dozen back and forth jockeying turns trying to get it just where I wanted it and did so pretty quickly and aggressively. Once I had it where I wanted it I climbed onboard to lower the drive a bit and my weight caused the hitch to release. I had the WRONG hitch in the receiver and the ball was one size too small. I was shocked it stayed on that long and made it a point to paint that hitch a different color just for that reason.

You may have the wrong sized ball?
              Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I'd sell it immediately and buy a Sea Ray.
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                  I'd sell it immediately and buy a Sea Ray.
                  With a Volvo?

Comment

green650 wrote:
                    With a Volvo?
                    Of course!

And with Sea Ray, we get first rate engines and drives.... not those seconds and border-line rejects that went into Bayliner boats.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

As others said, there should be a lot of weight on the tongue. It's extremely dangerous to tow with a light tongue. Check the weight.

Comment

Weight is definately there. It is a brand new Kings Tandem axel trailer (Just made a few weeks ago). I pretty much just cut corners and had it loosely on there as there is lots of weight on there and I was only moving it approx 5-10 feet. From now on, even just small moves get a pin and safety chains. I would still have a gate had I had even the safety chains on.

Comment

Then I really don't understand how it could have come off. Our marina launches and retrieves with the tractor and no safety pin as a normal routine, hauling boats all over the dirt yard, and never an issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X