Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the bow sprit on a 3988-gctid808801

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Removing the bow sprit on a 3988-gctid808801

    We just bought a beautiful 2000 3988. Unfortunately, it is too long for our slip and we need to remove the bow sprit. Does anyone know what kind of adhesive was used and how to remove it. We have removed the bolts but can't budge the bow sprit.

    #2
    I don't know what they used, but mine was tight on my 32xx. I used the windlass to peel it off.
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

    Comment


      #3
      PVC cable saw, 6 bucks at Home Depot.
      "Adios Dinero"
      1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
      Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

      Comment


        #4
        "The Other Gary" post=808829 wrote:
        PVC cable saw, 6 bucks at Home Depot.
        +1

        I used one of these to cut through the adhesive sealant on the pulpit of my previous boat.
        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA
        Isla Verde, PR

        Comment


          #5
          Possibly modify to a folding pulpit


          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

          Comment


            #6
            I just purchased a 2001 3988 and was faced with the exact same issue. I had a good buddy helping me and this is how we did it: We spun the boat around so that we could work off of the dock. We removed the bolts, (not a big problem). We then popped the bow sprit rail off using a rubber mallet, (be sure to remove the set screws if they're present). Now the difficult part came because of the adhesive used. Luckily, my buddy brought a decent size metal wedge, which really did the trick. We started by using a couple of screw drivers and carefully pounded them in to break up the leading edge of adhesive. Once we created enough room, we introduced the metal wedge and carefully pounded it in, ( it took some forceful whacks to accomplish our goal). We could hear the adhesive slowly starting to peal away. We took our time using the wedge across the leading edge, pounding it deeper each time; we would also push up on the pulpit occasionally in order to separate it from the bow. The bow sprit eventually separated and we were pleased that there was virtually no damage done to the boat.

            Having read a thread on the forum about this, we were also equipped to use wire saws, but the method we chose worked great and we never used the saws. Other members have also mentioned using a hydraulic jack, off of the dock, to apply upward pressure.

            There are also some good threads on the forum regarding fabricating a new bow sprit using Starboard; this is my next project.

            If you're interested in talking about it, give me a call on my cell at 714-928-1112; leave a message if I don't pick up.

            Good luck!!

            Alex
            Alex
            Orange County, Ca.
            2001 3988
            Twin Cummins 330's

            Comment


              #7
              Here is the job I did on my 3388. Had a buddy help me out. Worked out well.

              http://baylinerownersclub.org/index....l-modification
              Terry
              1999 Bayliner 3388
              Twin Cummins 4BTA
              Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
              Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

              Comment


                #8
                Got it off using the hammer-wedge option. Dock neighbors all celebrated when the noise stopped! Came off nicely and is in good condition as is the boat. Thanks for all your advice.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Flamingo, I'm glad it worked out!! I'm currently looking to fabricate a replacement pulpit, using the Starboard material. I still need to prep the bow by scrapping off the adhesive and some minor repair using epoxy; however, my plan is to fabricate a new and substantially shorted pulpit using the Starboard material. I'll post pictures along the way. Let me know what your plan is and please share any words of wisdom along the way.
                  Alex
                  Orange County, Ca.
                  2001 3988
                  Twin Cummins 330's

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X