1998 bayliner 2252 gas tank replacement. Need Advice-gctid808309

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 bayliner 2252 gas tank replacement. Need Advice-gctid808309

I have a 98 2252 hardtop that just developed the dreaded fuel tank leak. I have the access cover off and have cut out the fiberglass covered plywood over the tank. I am planning on cutting the tank out so as to not cut apart the deck. I need advice on the following:

1. Best method and tools to use to cut the aluminum tank out. Ive already pumped out gas and flushed tank several times with water

2. Any factory Moeller or aluminum tanks that could be recommended as a viable replacement. I suspect a belly tank

Thanks

Welcome! If you have a skil saw, a carbide blade will saw the aluminum well. A sawzall or similar reciprocating tool with a very short metal cutting blade is also a commonly used tool to cut up tanks. The chips really fly, much more than wood sawdust so wear serious eye and face protection.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Milwaukee Sawzall what else?
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

Thanks for the responses....... I've been flushing the tank out the last couple of days. Anything chemical wise to remove all had fumes? Any recommendations for the new tank size? Clearly I can't put the 38 x 48 back in.....

Had anyone done the exact same.thing to their 2252? Did the rest thr tank from the factory on any type of platform?

Comment

Also. My old tank appears to be completely wrapped in white plastic is that a standard practice from bayliner?

Comment

"Ericp44" post=808309 wrote:
            1. Best method and tools to use to cut the aluminum tank out.
            To quote Graham Green of the Red Green Show, "Ya strap a couple of pounds of C4 in there, and BOOM! That'll clean it out. Give ya lots of room to start over too."

Love my Canadian roots!
            "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
            MMSI: 367637220
            HAM: KE7TTR
            TDI tech diver
            BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
            Kevin

Comment

I think you will have to pull the motor to slide a new tank in there as it tucks under the deck a few inches. I had a 1996 2252 with a hardtop and replaced the motor with a 330hp vortec from Michigan Motorz. It was pretty easy to pull the motor.
              Esteban
              Huntington Beach, California
              2018 Element 16
              Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
              Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

I'm in the process of replacing the fuel tank in my 2855. I bought my tank from RDS out of Perry Florida, they were the original manufacturer of the tank for bayliner. If you haven't found a tank they my have the specs to manufacture the tank in aluminum. If I can help in any way don't hesitate to contact me. Best of luck. Frank.

Comment

Working...
                X