Is the 32/38XX really a Trawler?-gctid808298

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the 32/38XX really a Trawler?-gctid808298

I was on the Trawler forum and read several post describing the 32 and 38 1980-1990's boats as trawlers. Is that correct? Most of the early trawlers

had semi displacement hulls and single FL engines. Is this what the Bayliners have? Thoughts?
    Looking for my next boat. Down sizing!
    SE KY & Key Largo
    1998 Sea Ray 450 DA (Sold)
    2005 Glacier Bay 2685 (Sold)

They are NOT trawlers in the strict sense of the word. But that doesn't matter. They can be used like a trawler. You can take it slow, or you can go fast with them. They offer live aboard, extended or day trip versatility just like a "trawler " does. So who cares what label others use?

Comment

"redskyjoe" post=808302 wrote:
      They are NOT trawlers in the strict sense of the word. But that doesn't matter. They can be used like a trawler. You can take it slow, or you can go fast with them. They offer live aboard, extended or day trip versatility just like a "trawler " does. So who cares what label others use?
      They are as fast as molasses dripping off an iceberg...
      David
      http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
      http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

Quick answer is no. They are cabin cruisers. When we owned our 3288, we used it at hull speed 80% of the time. The boat we changed to is often called a sundeck trawler. Again, it is a cabin cruiser. Not a yacht, not a trawler. Just a semi displacement hull with a big cabin on it.

Besides what is in the name trawler if your not a fishing boat?
        1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
        S. Puget Sound

Comment

Maybe sedan with flying bridge is closer. At least that's what they might have called it in the sixties and prior in my experience.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

IMHO, and I have some experience with these, a TRUE trawler is a displacement hull that does NOT get up on plane. Even with twin engines, you will burn a ton of fuel to even get close to planing. There is a simple reason a trawler is fuel efficient and used for long distance passages, and it is with how the hull design acts on the water, ...as described to me by a naval architect with Palmer Johnson.

A planing hull can be used as a trawler, but it will never be as fuel efficient, and it has to do with the kind of wave the shape of the hull creates.

Here is a traditional trawler hull. Notice the shape.

A true trawler creates a wave that it rides in. At hull speed, this is what it looks like.

As you can see, the aft section of the hull rises to meet the wave, so the wave on the stern and the shape of the aft hull is actually helping to push the boat forward. A planing hull is squared off, so while it can sit in the wave, it won't slide down the wave, so it is no where near as efficient as a trawler.

The moment you push a trawler too hard, you will struggle to climb the wave. This is where a trawler loses fuel efficiency, because it isn't designed for that.

Here is another trawler sitting in its wave.

So, a boat with a planing hull is NOT a true trawler.
            "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
            MMSI: 367637220
            HAM: KE7TTR
            TDI tech diver
            BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
            Kevin

Comment

"Swift Trawler", as in fast trawler, decades before B├®n├®teau launched their range ....?
              A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
              Blustery Day
              Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
              Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
              Purchased 23 February 2017

Comment

"Hamnavoe" post=808350 wrote:
                "Swift Trawler", as in fast trawler, decades before B├®n├®teau launched their range ....?
                I like it!
                CapMartin, Montreal QC
                "Belle de Dalhousie"
                1986 3270 SOLD
                Volvo BB225B

Comment

"Hamnavoe" post=808350 wrote:
                  Call it whatever you want, but just because they want to call it a trawler, doesn't make it one. In this case, they are using 'Trawler' as a name to access the trawler market.

Look at the OP subject and what he's asking. As far as I know, Bayliner has never made a trawler. They could call it an over-powered, live aboard dingy or a Beneteau Mega-yacht, but that doesn't make it one. The Swift Trawler is not a true trawler.

I once sailed on an Endurance. Does that mean it can handle any sea conditions?
                  "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                  TDI tech diver
                  Kevin

Comment

Well at about 6 mph our 38xx will get in excess of 4 mpg. If its economy your looking for you can get it. If you want to cruise around 15 mph, you can do that too.

Doug
                    Started boating 1955
                    Number of boats owned 32
                    Bayliners
                    3870 presently owned
                    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

"dmcb" post=808405 wrote:
                      Well at about 6 mph our 38xx will get in excess of 4 mpg. If its economy your looking for you can get it. If you want to cruise around 15 mph, you can do that too.

Doug
                      Indeed, Doug, that is likely true, but that doesn't answer the OP's question.
                      TDI tech diver
                      Kevin

Comment

"CptCrunchie" post=808412 wrote:
                        "dmcb" post=808405 wrote:

Doug
                        Indeed, Doug, that is likely true, but that doesn't answer the OP's question.
                        Well he ask for thoughts and he got mine. I think that falls in the category of answering the question.

Doug
                        Started boating 1955
                        Number of boats owned 32
                        Bayliners
                        3870 presently owned
                        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Guys GREAT information. Thanks to everyone that responded. It appears after reading several very old articles that the 3270 was indeed Bayliners "Swift Trawler" kind of.

It appears they have a rounded stern that allows for rolling but very good fuel economy. One review put the 3270 with hino's at 10kts and 1.9ghr?. Pretty good. It also looks like the 3270 was one of bayliners best sellers. The article raved about the space available in the 3270. The Hino's were praised as well. Anyway. I really appreciate you guys a ton. Thanks for the help! JC
                          Looking for my next boat. Down sizing!
                          SE KY & Key Largo
                          1998 Sea Ray 450 DA (Sold)
                          2005 Glacier Bay 2685 (Sold)

Comment

" It appears they have a rounded stern that allows for rolling but very good fuel economy. One review put the 3270 with hino's at 10kts and 1.9ghr?."

FWIW - 10 kts is a poor speed to choose to cruise a 32 Bayliner.

I have found that many boats on the "trawler forum" are not really trawlers they just use them in that way and therefore call them trawlers.
                            Northport NY

Comment

"JC3" post=808563 wrote:
                              Guys GREAT information. Thanks to everyone that responded. It appears after reading several very old articles that the 3270 was indeed Bayliners "Swift Trawler" kind of.

It appears they have a rounded stern that allows for rolling but very good fuel economy. One review put the 3270 with hino's at 10kts and 1.9ghr?. Pretty good. It also looks like the 3270 was one of bayliners best sellers. The article raved about the space available in the 3270. The Hino's were praised as well. Anyway. I really appreciate you guys a ton. Thanks for the help! JC
                              Did a Google search and found this image. This has a semi-displacement hull. Trawler hulls are full displacement.

[attachment]36194 wrote:
                              SemiDisplacement.jpg[/attachment]

For more info, http://www.mby.com/cruising/semi-dis... read on this. It explains what semi-displacement is.

BTW, mind filling out your profile some can see where you are and what experience you have? It would help greatly in future postings.
                              TDI tech diver
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X