What is your perspective: Life Jackets or not?-gctid397567

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your perspective: Life Jackets or not?-gctid397567

Reading the post about the overturned Silverton and the three dead children brings up a question for the board. When you have children aboard and they're below in the cabin, do you enforce they wear their life jackets?

Ags8th wrote:
    Reading the post about the overturned Silverton and the three dead children brings up a question for the board. When you have children aboard and they're below in the cabin, do you enforce they wear their life jackets?
    Simple answer, YES unless they are proven swimmers.

Comment

For me, I allow my daughter and her friends (12-14 year olds) to take off their vests while in the cabin; once they head for the weather decks, they must be wearing their PFD.

Comment

With my girls being only 5 and 7 and the boat only being 23' they are in PFD's 100%. We only allow them off when we are tied tight to a dock or mooring line and engine off. I even bought a couple extra kids jackets so we have no issues with a guest or uncomfort with wearing the nerdy orange USCG vest. We never have more than 6 or occasionally 8 people on board and I think there are 6 orange vests, 7 regular vests, my inflatable and the throwable cushion. You can't have too many. While my wife and I usually don't wear ours just out in the harbor when I am alone I always wear my inflatable.

I can't imagine going out in storm conditions, at night, with that many people regardless of the size of the boat.

Comment

I only have a 185 br and at all times the kids under 16 I make them where them...

Comment

My kids dont wear life jackets down below. Above yes 100%it of the time. If it gets rough then every one puts on life jackets above or below even me.

If the person cant swim even if adult they wear life jackets when above.
            1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
            twin 454's
            MV Mar-Y-Sol
            1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
            Twin chevy 350's inboard
            Ben- Jamin
            spokane Washington

Comment

Allot of this discussion revolves around what type of boat you're on.

We've mostly had cruisers. We wear life jackets when out of the confines of the cockpit, or other protected area, IE the foredeck.

We had a 20' jet boat for several years. We wore life jackets 100% of the time on the jet boat, except on a small stream where falling overboard had more risk of stubbing your toe than drowning.

My son has a 24' Bayliner. His daughter, 6 wears her life jacket any time she's above deck.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
              www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
              https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

No, the kids all swim and we keep throwables and ropes on both ends of the boat and the flybridge. The one thing we need to do is practice overboard drills, something I used to do as a river guide on the Lower Salmon. Being familiar with the throw ropes etc. is a good idea.

On the Silverton accident, I understood that life jackets may not have made a difference. I thought they were trapped in the cabin(?)

I think we can all agree that this tragedy was totally avoidable.

Comment

Makes a big difference regarding age, swimming capabilities, water type and temperature. Personally my kids never wore a jacket after they were competent swimmers however, water is around 75+ degrees and rather calm if not flat in general, no tides and no current so to say. We spend the majority of our boating time in the water with no life jackets on however we never stray far from the boat. If we want to float around for long periods we do have at least a noodle. This is a personal choice and every one has a different opinion. Keep in mind no answer is wrong unless common sense does not make you wear one when conditions dictate possible trouble.
                  Cheers, Hans
                  2007 Carver 41 CMY
                  Twin Volvo D6-370
                  Montreal, Canada
                  Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

If my kids are in the cabin and were are anchored in a no wake cove then they can take off their vests. If I'm moving they have their vest on...PERIOD

Comment

When ever we are on the weather deck underway we have our Mustangs on. Bad things can happen on any size vessel. Size does not guarantee safety.

When something bad happens you don't always if ever have time to go and get the vests and get them on before you are swimming. Too many people have them stored away in compartments. I don't believe in that either. You may not be anywhere near that compartment when bad things happen. What would you do then.
                      Patrick and Patti
                      4588 Pilothouse 1991
                      12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                      M/V "Paloma"
                      MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Any time the boat is moving the pfd's are on the kids, when docked the little ones still have them on until they are on shore. As a kid I didnt always make the best choice, I dont think thats changed with todays kids. I can still hear my Dad, "What the hell were you thinking?"

Comment

Papa Charlie wrote:
                          When ever we are on the weather deck underway we have our Mustangs on. Bad things can happen on any size vessel. Size does not guarantee safety.

When something bad happens you don't always if ever have time to go and get the vests and get them on before you are swimming. Too many people have them stored away in compartments. I don't believe in that either. You may not be anywhere near that compartment when bad things happen. What would you do then.
                          whenever the boys (13&14yrs old) are on the bow they have one on.. our rule.. on the cockpit closed or in the salon ..no.. if they go on the swimstep.. YES.. the water here is brutal.. 5 minutes and your dead.. we go on the zodiac and we ALL are wearing them.. I even have one for the dog

there was just a 63 yr old man who tried to untangle is gill netting from the props.. was him and his daughter on board only.. he had no lifevest.. he fell over in full raingear.. she couldnt move the boat cause of the netting stuck, she lost sight of him and he was lost.. this was on the 3rd of July.. still no sign of him.. thats the second person to be lost at sea in that same little area... saddening news

Comment

We wear ours 100% of the time while under way or preparing to depart as do most of my boating friends including the yachts.
                            John McLellan White Rock BC
                            "Halifax Jack"
                            1999 2855 383 stroker BII
                            MMSI 316004337

Comment

Everyone you steps on my boat has one on before they set foot on my boat. I even have a little nerdy safety demonstration like the ones on airplanes while they are standing on the peer. Overkill maybe but I feel much safer that way. I boat in the north Atlantic where the water never gets above 8c in the summer.

When we are stopped at anchor in good weather, those that go below can removed them, but only then.

As a side note during my demonstration I make sure someone knows how to start and control the boat in the event that something happens to me.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X