Can I paint over antifouling paint?-gctid807888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I paint over antifouling paint?-gctid807888

My non wellcraft boat is a 1987 Wellcraft Antigua 265. I have been discussing the painting of it on here with several of you and I am thrilled with the responses I have received. I knew next to nothing about boating when I found this site. So I now have the hull waterline and above sanded with 220. The waterline down has dark brown antifouling paint that is really old but still solid. I just think it looks like crap. I was contemplating painting over it with the white marine paint I bought just on the sides. That is only about the bottom 4 inches before you actually get to the bottom of the boat. Is there anything wrong with that?

Attached files

1994 Bayliner Capri 1850, 3 liter Mercruiser, 9.9 Johnson kicker.
    1987 Wellcraft Antigua 265, Mercruiser 383 Stroker V8.
    Pulls with Ext. Cab 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD

NO top side marine paint belongs down there ,

Get some real bottom paint.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

That bottom paint will need to be sanded (scuffed) some for the new bottom paint to adhere well.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Removing old anti-fouling paint is not easy, and is particulary difficult if the plan is to prepair the surface for painting the bottom area with a product other than Anti-Fouling paint.

That said..... if a smooth finish is desired, I would re-gel coat that area. I would never use paint.

Actually, I would re-apply anti-fouling paint that is suitable for trailing. These products are much more durable, and can be purchased in different colors.

As for the rest of the hull, I would first exhaust all attempts at restoring the original get coat. If no go..... only then would I consider painting a hull.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"dockofthebay" post=807888 wrote:
          I was contemplating painting over it with the white marine paint I bought just on the sides. That is only about the bottom 4 inches before you actually get to the bottom of the boat. Is there anything wrong with that?
          The bottom paint that's been applied up the side of the hull 4" is there because that's where the boat sits while in the water. It may look odd when she's on the trailer but it's boat in the water time you need to be concerned with. Like boatworkfl said, clean it, prep it, and re apply your new bottom paint (anti foul) color of your choice.

BTW nobody will give a turd as to how the bottom paint looks when your cruising around in ya new to you cruiser
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Well said every one. I'll leave it alone then. Thank you every one.
            1994 Bayliner Capri 1850, 3 liter Mercruiser, 9.9 Johnson kicker.
            1987 Wellcraft Antigua 265, Mercruiser 383 Stroker V8.
            Pulls with Ext. Cab 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD

Comment

Working...
            X