cleaning question-gctid397527

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning question-gctid397527

so here is how we spent our 4th (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4os8T_uyw3Q may want to turn the volume down for the beginning guy in boat next to us was loud) anywho the lake this was on we have a friend who lives on it.

so on the 3rd we put our boat in the water and docked it at his house went out on the 4th and then docked it again and picked it up on the 5th. as new boater I didn't want to have to deal with retrieving from a crowded ramp after the fireworks were over.

what my wife and I have done is gotten into the habit of cleaning the boat after EVER single use (maybe overkill but wanted to develop good habits) so when we got it home last night we scrubbed her down, however (I didn't think to get a picture last night but can tonight and post it if need be) we have a ring near the bottom of the hull that I can't scrub off it has lightened up but I can't seem to get rid of it.

any recommendations to clean that off? I've searched the west marine.com but they have a wide variety of cleaning solutions and I'm just not sure what is the best for cleaning that "stain" off.

Thanks

any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm guessing you are talking about a water stain? (nice video of the firworks)

Try toilet bowl cleaner. Yes, serious.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
      I'm guessing you are talking about a water stain? (nice video of the firworks)

Try toilet bowl cleaner. Yes, serious.
      Thank you! I will give try that when I get home tonight!! appreciate it. (stupid question, thats safe for the gelcoat? I'm assuming it would be but I know my wife will ask)

I have to say that this was the 1st time we've ever watched fireworks on the water and after that I don't ever want to watch fireworks on land again...

Comment

Try this:

If mineral stains, use something like CLR.

If organic stains, use something like the purple enzyme cleaners... Super-Clean for example.

With either, apply these to the stained areas while dry.
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Toilet bowl cleaner is usually muriatic acid, (aka hydrochloric acid). HCl is used all the time by big boat yards to clean hulls. Don't leave it on for more than a minute or two before washing it off. Wash with soap, and best bet is to rinse with water, then wax, (it'll open up little "pores" in the gelcoat).

Muriatic acid is a very strong acid, and fumes, so do this in the open. Keep it away from anything metal, (it will pit and discolor your trailer, anything stainless, anything chromed, and it will eat through anything galvanized right before your eyes). If you want to get a lot, get a jug of acid, (~$6 at any hardware store), and mix 50/50 with water. Remember high school chemistry. AAA - Always Add Acid. This means, fill a bucket with some water, then add the acid to it. Do NOT fill the bucket with acid and add water to it.

Finally, wear eye protection and gloves (rubber gloves) at the very least, you do not want to get this stuff, (even toilet bowl cleaner) on your skin or especially in your eyes. A natural bristle brush will help you get the stuff off, but honestly a sponge will probably work just as well.

Comment

Thank you for all the tips, used toilet cleaner and it came right off. Put it on a paper towel wiped the affected areas and it came right off. Rinsed it immediately and she looks nice and clean. Just need to wax it.

Thanks!

Comment

If you want something less abrasive and somewhat more skin friendly, meguiars or 3m cleaner wax with a vibrating or spinning polisher will do the job pretty easily too. I just did that a few minutes ago because I forgot to remove it immediately in the 100 degree heat when I pulled it out.:livid:

Comment

Davem2421 wrote:
                so here is how we spent our 4th (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4os8T_uyw3Q may want to turn the volume down for the beginning guy in boat next to us was loud) anywho the lake this was on we have a friend who lives on it.

so on the 3rd we put our boat in the water and docked it at his house went out on the 4th and then docked it again and picked it up on the 5th. as new boater I didn't want to have to deal with retrieving from a crowded ramp after the fireworks were over.

what my wife and I have done is gotten into the habit of cleaning the boat after EVER single use (maybe overkill but wanted to develop good habits) so when we got it home last night we scrubbed her down, however (I didn't think to get a picture last night but can tonight and post it if need be) we have a ring near the bottom of the hull that I can't scrub off it has lightened up but I can't seem to get rid of it.

any recommendations to clean that off? I've searched the west marine.com but they have a wide variety of cleaning solutions and I'm just not sure what is the best for cleaning that "stain" off.

Thanks

any help would be greatly appreciated!
                Davem: These suggestions that members have submitted will surely help. When we first got our boat, a close friend came aboard with champagne and a bottle of West Marine "boat soap." The first time I used the well diluted boat soap, I was unhappy to discove that the blue hullside was stained in several areas where the boat soap had drained down. And yes, I had been rinsing the boat with the hose as each section was brush scrubbed. I gave the soap away to another boater (only a little was used) and have never used any soap since. Those darn stains are permanent and don't buff out. Griff

Comment

Working...
                X