Buying a 285 - any advise?-gctid807583

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a 285 - any advise?-gctid807583

Hi after extensive research and what my family needs would be on the water I decided on the Bayliner 285. My last boat was a 21 foot cuddly chaparral so this is a big step up for me. I have kept my search limited to 2005 and up and was wondering if any current or past owners have specific things I should be looking for with this model as they get up there in years. I plan on getting a survey done when I find one but thought I would solicit and feedback/expertise from this group. Thanks in advance.

Almost all upper SQ shaft seal will leak on these ,

Get a mechanical survey.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

Hi. Good choice for a step up boat. As said, looks for leg leaks. If its bad, may need a new transom plate if corroded badly. I had mine 1 year until leaks got too bad and needed new transom plate. Other than than, go buy yourself a swim platform extension the day you get the boat, you wont regret it. Shoudl have been installed from factory.
      2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

Comment

"Sunchaserz99" post=807583 wrote:
        Hi after extensive research and what my family needs would be on the water I decided on the Bayliner 285. I have kept my search limited to 2005 and up and was wondering if any current or past owners have specific things I should be looking for with this model as they get up there in years. I plan on getting a survey done when I find one but thought I would solicit and feedback/expertise from this group. Thanks in advance.
        What area will you boat in? Salt or fresh water? Do you have a dock? What are some of the amenities on the boat like AC/Heat, electronics, engine hours, etc.?
        David
        http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
        http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

Working...
        X