How to get PAINTED name off transom-gctid807488

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get PAINTED name off transom-gctid807488

Apparently the boat I bought last year has the name PAINTED ON not a vinyl sticker. It has also been clear coated over. Can someone please tell me how to get this off the boat? I tried the "Normal" methods but it aint workin. Was told the last step is to sand it off? really? If thats the case, how? What grit? how do I not kill the gelcoat? Any help would be IMMENSELY APPRECIATED!

Thanks

Easy off oven cleaner works but may take several applications. It won't hurt the gelcoat however ou may have to cut & buff after to remove the "print through" from the old name.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

easy off works rather well. it is messy so do small areas and have lots of paper towels and a bucket to toss them into. It has a slight tendency to leave a yellowish tinge, which is removed with buffing or exposure to the sun. The name is usually painted on a vertical area, so the EO tends to run...
      Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

just basic easyoff or extra strength? Does it matter? Also, will this take off the clearcoat also?

Comment

Never heard of using Easy off to remove paint from gelcoat, I will have to try that sometime. It sounds like you may have a rather large area to remove clear coat and paint. Is that correct? Personally I have always used the sand it off method with painted on stuff. I didn't know the was another way. If the Easy off doesn't do the job, try starting with 600 grit wet sanding. If needs to be more aggressive use 400 until the paint and clear coat are almost gone then go back to 600, then 800, the 3M or Meguiar's heavy cut compound and work to finer compound from there. Fortunately with the clear coat over it all, you aren't as likely to have "raised" gel coat. That is the original thickness of gel coat under the lettering and then compounded and oxidized areas of thinner gel coat around it. As others pointed out there may be some difference in the gel coat color under the lettering than the surrounding area.

Greg
          Newport, Oregon
          South Beach Marina
          1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
          Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
          Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

I used Easy Off oven cleaner to get the painted name off my boat and it seemed to work just fine. However, my boat hull was painted with Emron paint, so I can't say from personal experience that it won't hurt gelcoat, but many others report it works just fine with gelcoat/fiberglass.
            Dave Stephens
            2002 3988 "Chinook"
            Cape Coral, FL

AND

1988 3218 "Raven"
            Cordova, Alaska

(Yes . . 2 boat owner: A special kind of dumb!)

Comment

DON"T use "Lemon Easy Off". The lemon is what leaves the yellow color..

Comment

"billfnh" post=807501 wrote:
                just basic easyoff or extra strength? Does it matter? Also, will this take off the clearcoat also?
                Either one will work, if you want something more agressive (works quicker) fiberglass safe paint stripper. I used both of these products on my boat with no issues to the Gelcoat. Removed all the bottom paint with stripper, then cut & buffed. [attachment]35903 wrote:
                image.jpeg[/attachment]

Attached files

Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Wow! That turned out great.
                  Dave Stephens
                  2002 3988 "Chinook"
                  Cape Coral, FL

AND

1988 3218 "Raven"
                  Cordova, Alaska

(Yes . . 2 boat owner: A special kind of dumb!)

Comment

So i tried the easyoff on a small area and it didnt really work well but it did turn the spot yellow. I then used a fiberglass safe thinner and that was basically useless. So I took my sander, got some fine paper disks and i had the whole thing done in about 2 hours. Thanks for the suggestions all, I was able to remove the paint and clearcoat. Now I can put the new name on her.

Comment

Working...
                    X