balance issues with 1991 2655 sunbridge-gctid397500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

balance issues with 1991 2655 sunbridge-gctid397500

went out on the 4th with family to watch fireworks.....nyc, they were great ......had 7 adults and 1 child and 2 coolers. put both coolers forward on floor centerline. had 2 adults with life jackets sitting at bow. had all other wear life jackets while underway.. i myself and 4 more on bench seat. boat got up on plane easy but i could not keep it level for any length of time. several times it leaned very hard to port 30-35 degrees. i don't have a owners guide. whats the limit on added weight. i don't keep any real added weight on board perhaps 200pd's. at slow speeds 15 knts or less this was not an issue. I am assuming that i was grossly overloaded with 7 adults on board. have not had this issue with 4 or less. both seemed very stable up to this point. i overloaded the boat right?

I wouldn't say overloaded but close. Do you have trim tabs? When I have friends on board (4 adults, 4-5 kids TOTAL) any major changes to the sitting arrangement while underway certainly affects the handling / trim of the boat. I adjust the trim tabs to compensate small movements. I have a rule on my boat, before we take off on the plane, I get everyone safely seated, adults on the sunbridge, kids at the dinnette etc, then everyone stays where they are!

No problem..
    David
    1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Check the operation of your trim tabs. I would say you were close to the max people (for my comfort level anyway) but not groosly overloaded. Either you had several people shift their position, wind could have caused it, or I suspect a trim tab issue where the pressure on the tab caused it (the ram) to push up changing the angle at which you were running.
      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
      1998 3055 Ciera
      (yes, a 1998)
      Previous boat: 1993 3055
      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
      Sea Doo XP
      Sea Doo GTI SE
      Life is short. Boats are cool.
      The family that plays together stays together.
      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

thanks, will chk pistons on my tabs. and thanks for not beating me up on my loading of the boat. i felt pretty dumb after reading about those folks out on long island. i have been boating on and off my whole life{i am 55} sea scouts as a kid, sea scouts as an adult, both sail and motor and it never ceases to amaze me how fast things can go wrong on the water. the seas can be a cruel mistress to coin a phrase that is very true

Comment

I wouldn;t say you were terribly overloaded either. My max comfortable number of people on board is usually 6, 7 sometimes. I also have problems when the load is very uneven. Then I have to tell people where to be and stay. Just this last weekend with my brother and his family I ran into sone confused waves from other boats and man was it a goofy feeling, I know what you mean. Trim tabs usually do the job for minor load distributions though.

Comment

Working...
          X