Is it possible to hire an expert to discuss weather for a trip?-gctid807442

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to hire an expert to discuss weather for a trip?-gctid807442

Moving from flying to boating and in flying we could call a weather briefer to discuss weather. Is it possible to do the same with marine weather? Reason I am asking is I am moving my boat from SF to San Diego and due to high winds wanted to see about a possible weather window. Since I don't want to wait! Heard somewhere that there is a service that will give you go no go assistance. Thanks in advance!

"knuckledragger" post=807442 wrote:
    Moving from flying to boating and in flying we could call a weather briefer to discuss weather. Is it possible to do the same with marine weather? Reason I am asking is I am moving my boat from SF to San Diego and due to high winds wanted to see about a possible weather window. Since I don't want to wait! Heard somewhere that there is a service that will give you go no go assistance. Thanks in advance!
    News to me, but I doubt it. Unlike air travel where you shift in 3 dimensions, traveling on the water has only 2. While you skirt around some weather, you are a slave to it if you can't.

IIWUTM, I would call a SF or SD TV or radio station and ask their weather person when a good time would be, ....or trailer it. How big is your boat?
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

Too big to trailer, Meridian 490

Comment

Yes there are. I'm sure someone who has used there services will see this, but there are Captains & meteorologists that will give specific weather forecasts and travel advisories based on your window for movement. They're very accurate and highly recommended for ocean transits like the one you're describing.
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

The 490 isn't too big to trailer. Trailered mine from San Diego to Seattle (Associate Boat Transport) but probably not worth the cost of disassembling the 6 needed items and re-assembling. Ted

Comment

I will probably be making that trip in a year or so as well. Wondering why you would trailer it instead of putting it onto a barge or running it up on it's own power? If you don't mind me asking how much does it cost to trailer it on that trip?

Comment

The main reason for trucking it was I purchased Nooma in January and didn't wanted to leave her in Southern Cal. for 4 to 6 months waiting for weather or take it to Mexico for shipping it to Victoria ( Jones Act). Purchased her on Wednesday and the following Thursday she was at Lake Union then home to Vancouver Island shortly after. Cost in 2009 was about $11000. US. Can't remember the disassembly and assembly charges but they weren't that bad, less than the total of having her shipped. The 6 things needed for trucking if I remember correctly were 1) storing the dingy in the cockpit, 2) storing the radar arch on the bow, 3) removing the venturi, 4) lowering the upper steering wheel and control panel to a vertical position behind the helm ( wiring is long enough as this is how they ship them from the factory), 5) Some boat deck railing needed to be removed, and finally 6) the props needed to be removed. Seem to remember she was 15'1" high and 15'1" wide on I5. Two pilot cars in Cal. and Wash., nothing in Ore. but daylight running only.

Hope this helps. Ted

Comment

Google "weather routing services ".

Comment

That worked, thanks!!

Comment

we use the marine weather here in alaska sometimes there pretty close other times there not ,been stuck hiding in a protected cove several times because they try but really can't tell what the weather

is going to do on the water
                    1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
                    located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

Comment

When I first started commercial fishing for rockfish out of Seward AK I used to call someone at the weather service and he would tell me the forecast, then I would ask, what his personal opinion on the weather is, his personal opinion usually was right on. Sadly a few years later he died of cancer, I missed talking to him.
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Knuckle, were in the same boat, pun intended. My buddy just bought a 3988 in Oakland and we are watching for a window to bring her south to Long Beach. Our schedules won't align till mid May but after that we'll be ready. I also have a flying background and often miss the ability to talk to a marine Wx briefer prior to launch. However there are some very good sites to obtain the forecasted Wx and sea conditions. Here are two good ones.

https://www.windy.com/?34.203,-118.398,5

http://www.weather.gov

For our trip we plan to harbor hop during daylight hours only. Oakland to Monterey. Monterey to Morro Bay. Morro Bay to Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara to Long Beach. 4 days. Each leg is about 100 NM.

Best on your trip. Maybe we'll see you on the water!
                        Jim Gandee
                        1989 3888
                        Hino 175's
                        Fire Escape
                        [email protected]
                        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Working...
                        X