New boat shopper-gctid397444

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boat shopper-gctid397444

I currently pilot a 1985 2750. I am thinking about upgrading next year. Something a little newer, with a wider beam. I still need it to be trailerable, but i have seen boats with 9'7" beams on trailers. Dont really want to spend more than 20k. Motor wise im looking for suggestions. My 5.7 is ok, would like twins, but dont wanna break my wallet on fuel. I think v6's would be ok.

So i am looking for any suggestions please

no suggestions? hard to believe

Comment

You already have a bigger boat than mine. I do have my eye on a 2855 though.

Comment

Sam,

What features are you looking for in the next boat?

What are your must have's?

What area do you boat in?

Many here trailer a 28 and even 30' boat, however most areas would require a permit once you pass 8'6"

Comment

I have looked at a formula 27pc, i liked it, but know a guy who has a similar vessel, and the fuel is horrible. I either want a wider beam or a better lay out on the deck. my cabin door is off to the port, and it is a little tricky navagating into the cabin during rough water, and after a few if you know what I mean. I have the L bench on the deck. while good for the seating, it sucks for navagating around. I cant go any longer than 30 LOA., as I only have a 30' slip, love its location, and dont want to loose it. so maybe cabin entry in center. DONT WANT AN OMC DRIVE. I like trailerable, just cause sometimes I like to go to other local lakes. Plus, i like to bring it home in the winter and take care of the things I want to upgrade in the driveway. want something that will run in the 30-35mph range atleast, cruise 25. newer than 1990. l would like twin power plants, but smaller than 350s. (maybe 5.0 or 6 cyls.) but still not opposed to a 350 or 7.4 if it gets the job done. I have the teak rail across the stern now, and like the walk thru transom off to one side with seating there, add a little room I think. other than that all the things I have now. atleast sleeping for 4, head, galley, I feel like the salon I have now is a waste, and possibly would like the dining table in the v berth, have seen this alot. Alittle more deck room, and a little less cabin. The ol lady wants cabin air, but I have looked at suitcase units, and think that will prob be my beast bet. Have been looking aat a 2950, but that is a lot of boat. also I am trying to stay around a 20k budget

Comment

Oh and i mostly boat on lake barkley and ky lake in western ky, but ocassionaly ohio river. I need it more oreintated to family than fishing

Comment

Sam, Pick out a Bayliner you're interested in buying, post pictures and a description on this forum and ask for opinions of that particular boat.

You'll definitely get some replies then. Just too many variables otherwise.

Comment

There is an early 90's 3055 for sale in the classifieds.

Comment

What do i know i have a 19 footer, at least that's what the tittle says. I measured it i is at least a foot longer i guess it costs more the longer it is, wink.

I burn 4-5 gallons a hour. closer to 4 see i very rarely go faster then 25 mostly 20.

Where i boat this boat is perfect for me for now. Raritan bay, i have crossed over to the bklyn side a few time and around the hook but about 2 miles off shore.

Have taken it upstate ny once and it handled the swinging bridge lake just great.
                  Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

With the $20k budget, staying in the Bayliner family probably means a 2850/2855 with a single engine; or maybe a 2955 if you can find one at the price. No 3055 would be 20k unless in poor condition. Other brands open up all sorts of options, Sea Ray and Formula made boats in the 80s with twin 4.3s; certainly others. The Sea Ray 270 with a wide beam might be a step up in size from what you have; or an early 280. Most 280s have twin 5.7s.....

Comment

vicjunkie wrote:
                      I have looked at a formula 27pc, i liked it, but know a guy who has a similar vessel, and the fuel is horrible. I either want a wider beam or a better lay out on the deck. my cabin door is off to the port, and it is a little tricky navagating into the cabin during rough water, and after a few if you know what I mean. I have the L bench on the deck. while good for the seating, it sucks for navagating around. I cant go any longer than 30 LOA., as I only have a 30' slip, love its location, and dont want to loose it. so maybe cabin entry in center. DONT WANT AN OMC DRIVE. I like trailerable, just cause sometimes I like to go to other local lakes. Plus, i like to bring it home in the winter and take care of the things I want to upgrade in the driveway. want something that will run in the 30-35mph range atleast, cruise 25. newer than 1990. l would like twin power plants, but smaller than 350s. (maybe 5.0 or 6 cyls.) but still not opposed to a 350 or 7.4 if it gets the job done. I have the teak rail across the stern now, and like the walk thru transom off to one side with seating there, add a little room I think. other than that all the things I have now. atleast sleeping for 4, head, galley, I feel like the salon I have now is a waste, and possibly would like the dining table in the v berth, have seen this alot. Alittle more deck room, and a little less cabin. The ol lady wants cabin air, but I have looked at suitcase units, and think that will prob be my beast bet. Have been looking aat a 2950, but that is a lot of boat. also I am trying to stay around a 20k budget
                      Sam,

Very good list.

Finding a wide beam under 30' LOA maybe challenging. Our 2859 is more than 30' with the swim platform, and if you pick a boat with a pulpit your marina may be fussy about that in the total length.

A newer Sea Ray 270DA is just uner 9' beam and with the swim platform is 32' LOA with only single 7.4L depending on year.

Mid 90's Bayliner 2855 is your best fit for features and keeping her under 30' LOA. Only one engine, typically 350Mag or 7.4L Mercs. You can find these for under $20k

You may consider a 2655 Wide beam as well.

I've looked at hundreds of boats in the past and the 2859 provides the largest cabin of all the 28 footers from bayliner, other than the 2850 CB, but those are getting older. Others can comment. You may not like a hard top, but for our area, this is the perfect boat.

Glen

Comment

Just going to a modern design (around 1997-ish or newer) will give you a lot more space. Heck, a "smaller" boat that is newer might actually have more usable space. I think your first move is to actually go into some newer boats and see what you think.

One specific boat that is exactly what you're asking for is a late 90s Regal 2750. My marina neighbor has this and I've spent a lot of time on it and driven it. It is most commonly configured with V6 engines and Alpha One drives. The cockpit space is generous, cabin space is good, and overall design is very nice. It is just under 10' beam, so you do need permits, as with any other boat in this range. However as soon as you cross over 10' it gets far more complicated both legally and in actual practicality. Towing my boat, for example, is not trivial.

But please go check out a modern design in a 26-28 footer and see what you think.

Comment

AS it seems 99.99% of your boating is in inland waterways, you may want to consider a Pontoon. VERY Stable, Family oriented, can ealisly be made into a "CAMPER" and cheap on fuel, if equiped properly.

Comment

Sam, have you seen a particular style of boat that appeals to you on the outside?

For contrast, say the Bayliner 2755 style vs the flying bridge style without the aft sleeping cabin? Both are great styles, but there are firm afficianados of each on here. That style choice would definitely narrow down the selections.

It's a real quandry to me. Years ago, I had a 26' Fiberform Baja and there is nothing in the world quite like sitting up there on the flying bridge driving the boat. Now, I don't think I could give up the aft cabin sleeping arrangement and go back to the V-berth, even though I love that true flying bridge that you climb up to. I think there are now models that give you both the flying bridge and aft cabin, but perhaps somewhat pricey.

Comment

My 2000 Bayliner 2655 has the 9'6" beam and is IMO just as easy to trailer as my 8' beam 210 Classic I had. You are already towing near the weight of a wider beam so just as well enjoy the width.

I picked mine up in central western Illinois and trailered it to Lexington, KY and no isses with the beam. Sure many states STATE 8'6" but if you don't have commercial tags and are not doing anything stupid you are not going to get the unwanted attention. I now tow between Lex KY and Lake Cumberland with no issues frequently.

Comment

Working...
                              X