Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optima batterys(39) not so user friendly warranty and policy - Stay Away!-gctid806853

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Optima batterys(39) not so user friendly warranty and policy - Stay Away!-gctid806853

    I recently purchased a new blue top Optima start battery. After installing it I saw that I had forgotten 1 ground wire. Attempting to loosen the provided nut on the post the post began spinning. Now I was faced with ruining the battery just to get it out and warranty it. I contacted Optima battery on line and sent customer service my concern and asked how to proceed. This is the email I received back :

    Hello Brett

    Thank you for contacting Optima Customer Service. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your battery. Warranties are handled by the original retail location with original receipt. Unfortunately damage that occurs due to installation is not typically covered under warranty.

    SO I asked if one of their batteries fail on the road or on the water if I was out of luck getting it warrantied by an authorized dealer, and if the battery I installed is not covered by using the supplied nuts, and that the answer I receive will weigh on my decision to re-purchase another Optima battery. I received no reply. I am going to have to cut the post off to free the cables and install my new Northstar battery. Buyer beware. Quality is not always under control, however customer service can fix everything. If you want to buy a new battery and have 0 coverage, except for walking it back in to the Optima Battery dealer you bought it from, it's the battery for you, not me. This is why I am spreading the negative word........................... :angry: :angry:
    Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
    New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
    GO HAWKS!

    #2
    I am slowly switching over to 31 series AGM batteries, will have 3 in the bow and 4-27 series lead acid in the engine room, these last 4 will be gone next year, replaced with 3 31 series AGM's.

    I have 2 separate AGM capable battery chargers with a parallel switch.

    Sams club, the AGM's are not available in Alaska from Sams club, I haul them from Florida.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

    Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

    Comment


      #3
      Group 31 is a lot of CCA for its size and weight. My engine asked for 750 CCA and the group 34 is 880. 50lbs. Amazon also had the best price by far. 279. Free Shipping.
      Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
      New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
      GO HAWKS!

      Comment


        #4
        "aluxury1" post=806996 wrote:
        Group 31 is a lot of CCA for its size and weight. My engine asked for 750 CCA and the group 34 is 880. 50lbs. Amazon also had the best price by far. 279. Free Shipping.
        Sams club group 31 AGM battery is just under $200.00 with tax and old core.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

        Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

        Comment


          #5
          Several years ago, I switched over to Lifeline Group 31 batteries (x2 on a MBSS) and I've never looked back. Best quality battery I've ever used.

          http://lifelinebatteries.com/product...eries/gpl-31t/
          Mocoondo
          2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
          Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
          MMSI: 338091755

          Comment


            #6
            "aluxury1" post=806853 wrote:
            I recently purchased a new blue top Optima start battery. After installing it I saw that I had forgotten 1 ground wire. Attempting to loosen the provided nut on the post the post began spinning. Now I was faced with ruining the battery just to get it out and warranty it. I contacted Optima battery on line and sent customer service my concern and asked how to proceed. This is the email I received back :

            Hello Brett

            Thank you for contacting Optima Customer Service. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your battery. Warranties are handled by the original retail location with original receipt. Unfortunately damage that occurs due to installation is not typically covered under warranty.
            Not a lawyer, but from my understanding of the law, you can take the battery back to any Optima retailer/distributor under the https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...urers Defect." (scroll down to the section) If you are using the battery as it was intended, especially with it being new, they cannot refuse you its replacement, whether you installed it or a professional.
            "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
            MMSI: 367637220
            HAM: KE7TTR
            TDI tech diver
            BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
            Kevin

            Comment


              #7
              Yep, Lifeline and Northstar are recognized as very good batteries and you will pay more than 200.00 for them, but I wanted a worry free battery.
              Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
              New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
              GO HAWKS!

              Comment


                #8
                As to driving around looking for an authorized dealer to help me out, I went straight to the company website and customer care. I posted their response. I just didn't like the way it started out. I was also asking about maybe ruining it getting the nut off to warranty it. No response is never good. How ever, the update is Amazon fully refunded me including shipping and I don't need to return the problem battery. Now that's customer service. I bought the Northstar from Amazon also.
                Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
                New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
                GO HAWKS!

                Comment


                  #9
                  "aluxury1" post=807012 wrote:
                  As to driving around looking for an authorized dealer to help me out, I went straight to the company website and customer care. I posted their response. I just didn't like the way it started out. I was also asking about maybe ruining it getting the nut off to warranty it. No response is never good. How ever, the update is Amazon fully refunded me including shipping and I don't need to return the problem battery. Now that's customer service. I bought the Northstar from Amazon also.
                  My point exactly. Amazon is covering it via the warranty of merchantability. And thank you for sharing your plight, as I have little use for companies who do that, especially when it costs them peanuts compared to the loss of business from bad press and unfavorable reviews.
                  "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                  MMSI: 367637220
                  HAM: KE7TTR
                  TDI tech diver
                  BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                  Kevin

                  Comment


                    #10
                    It may cost more than Amazon, but I often buy batteries from Pacific Power Batteries. They have a number of stores in Western WA and carry a number of major brands. PPB stands behind what they sell and won't BS when it comes to warranty replacement.
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA
                    Isla Verde, PR

                    Comment


                      #11
                      If there is any part of the post showing, grip it with a pair of protected vice grips. You should be able to loosen the nut.

                      Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      2655
                      2755
                      2850
                      3870 presently owned
                      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Thanks, I will give that a try. I was going to attempt to cut a slot in the top of the post and hold it with a screwdriver. My experience with the Amazon warranty was as good as it could possibly be, and 100.00 less than PPB. and its on my porch. PPB does not carry Optima any longer.B) My thinking changed on what was most important about my start battery. It went from being able to get a warranty replacement close to anywhere we might be, to get a good battery and not need to be looking for an "Authorized Dealer" I am pretty sure that if the post has spun around, the battery will not be reliable.?:huh:
                        Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
                        New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
                        GO HAWKS!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          "aluxury1" post=807033 wrote:
                          I am pretty sure that if the post has spun around, the battery will not be reliable.?:huh:
                          I believe you are correct.
                          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                          MMSI: 367637220
                          HAM: KE7TTR
                          TDI tech diver
                          BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                          Kevin

                          Comment


                            #14
                            "aluxury1" post=807012 wrote:
                            As to driving around looking for an authorized dealer to help me out, I went straight to the company website and customer care. I posted their response. I just didn't like the way it started out. I was also asking about maybe ruining it getting the nut off to warranty it. No response is never good. How ever, the update is Amazon fully refunded me including shipping and I don't need to return the problem battery. Now that's customer service. I bought the Northstar from Amazon also.
                            We buy a-lot from Amazon, they warranty the items, and we seldom need to return the item to receive the refund, but I think they would back charge the merchant.
                            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

                            Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                            Twin 350 GM power
                            Located in Seward, AK
                            Retired marine surveyor

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X