insurance on a boat that was totaled by insurance company-gctid806761

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insurance on a boat that was totaled by insurance company-gctid806761

insurance is saying my boats totaled. if i was to buy it back and have it fixed would i be able to get insurance on it again ?

First of all, please fill in your signature so we know what boat do you have.

Talk to insurance companies first. My guess is that it will be insurable if a marine surveyor deems it seaworthy. You may need to pay for the survey. If its the same insurance company tha you have now they may not require a survey if you present receipts from a shop that did all the necessary repairs.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA
    Isla Verde, PR

Comment

That's going to be based on the company. What caused it to be totaled? Work with your insurance company. I would start the conversation with "if I have a surveyor check the boat as the repairs are done, are you willing to insure my boat again?" Boats and yachts are "totaled" regularly after storms. With that, there people who buy the ones that are repairable. For instance, a late '80's 38xx with damage to the flying bridge and salon windows might make the boat a "total constructive loss". If I was looking for that style boat and knew how to fix the flying bridge and windows, and could do it for less than market value for a boat without damage, I might buy it. The key would be getting a "condition and valuation" survey.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Boats don't get a salvaged title - should be no problem.

Somewhere in that is a joke about throwing money at boats is such a routine matter that even the government realizes being totaled is kind of meaningless.
        1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
        1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
        Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
        X