Deadhead got me good today-gctid806081

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadhead got me good today-gctid806081

Splashed the boat this morning - wife and I took a 10 mile ride just to make sure everything was running right and everything was good but close to the end hit a submerged deadhead at 30 MPH dinged the prop real good. Does not look like any other outdrive damage however my speedometer is now pegged at 30 MPH even sitting on dock any one have any ideas why? I love Lake Erie but sometimes it sucks

I will be taking prop off tomorrow to see if I can get it fixed but this prop has been repaired twice already so I may have to buy a new one 2000 Bayliner 3055 Bravo 2 - 5.0 engines. Any one have part number , starboard prop.

Thanks

Attached files

Harry
    Living for the Weekend
    2000 Bayliner 3055
    Cleveland, Ohio

The speedometer is fed from a little tube on the front of the outdrive. I can imagine if it got slammed a piece of wood might have gotten jammed in there keeping the pressure up.
    Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

For Bravo Drives

Speedometer Water Passage

Inspection and Cleaning

1. Inspect opening (pitot tube), on leading edge of gear housing, for obstruction. Clean

opening with a short piece of wire, if necessary. If obstruction cannot be removed with

wire, carefully reopen tube using a 5/64 in. (2 mm) diameter drill bit. Do not drill beyond

a depth of 2-7/16 in. (62 mm).

a -Opening (Pitot Tube)

2. Inspect water passage seal for nicks, cuts or distortion. Replace if necessary.

Attached files

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

I actually do this in the spring maintenance and it was working fine i will try and see if i can feel anything in the opening tomorrow - question those is that a RH rotation prop?
        Harry
        Living for the Weekend
        2000 Bayliner 3055
        Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

You hitting a deadhead at 30 mph, ya better check more than the prop inch:
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Do not buy a prop using someone's size. Every boat is different. The prop should be matched and one that allows wide open throttle to reach the suggested mfg. rpm's at wot.

A boat loaded different may require a different prop than the same identical boat.

Use your old prop for numbers and size. A prop shop can tell you what it is if it isn't on the prop. Proper size and pitch matching the other prop is what you want.

Doug
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I hit a small stick with my B3 drive. It took three years for the speedometer to start working again. I tried clearing out the intake (with no luck) but the drive eventually fixed itself.
              2007 Discovery 246
              300mpi BIII
              Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Those deadheads are always causing problems ...

2003 Bayliner 245
                2007 Sedona F21

Comment

I love comments like builderdude....whay do you mean? Are you trying to be an alarmist? Do you have a specific suggestion for the original post? Or just a vague comment?

Comment

"Valley" post=806265 wrote:
                    I love comments like builderdude....whay do you mean? Are you trying to be an alarmist? Do you have a specific suggestion for the original post? Or just a vague comment?
                    The list is long, some things off the top of my head:

-cracks in the gimbal ring at pivot points

-cracks in the bell housing again at pivot points

- cracks in the lower unit (pressure test the drive)

- leaks from trim rams

- stress cracks in the transom around the keyhole

- transom seal integrity

- cracks in the inner transom plate

You have some to add?
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556
                    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                    Misc. projects thread
                    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Maybe you should have posted that first? As to help the OP...im just saying that this site has become increasingly full of vague comments followed by some emoji to a member who has a real concern. And to answer your question....no nothing else to add to the list you posted, I understand it all and am mechanically sound in my ability to navigate a broken drive.

Cheers!

Comment

As for the speedo, they are extremely unreliable and function improperly when they do which is half the time. Personally I would upgrade the unit from pitot to GPS which will give you accurate and reliable readings all the time. Cannot figure out why boat builders have not gone this route as it is definitely cheaper than setting up a pitot driven system. There are quite a few options out there and this is just one of them. http://www.ebay.com/itm/85mm-White-G...FWJgt8&vxp=mtr Heck, even your cell phone will work fine which costs nothing.

On a side note, one day you will post you have some water dripping from behind the dash and wonder where it is coming from. Now you know.

Hitting a dead head at 30mph would cause the drive to rip off or at least part of it, ask me how I know. This time of year the lakes and rivers are full of crap floating around and by the looks of the picture it seems your prop caught the edge of some floating or semi submerged debris, most likely old soft wood judging by the little damage you have. As for the prop size, you really need to make sure they are the originals other wise you will end up with 2 different size props on the boat if you go by factory size.
                        Cheers, Hans
                        2007 Carver 41 CMY
                        Twin Volvo D6-370
                        Montreal, Canada
                        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

"Valley" post=806273 wrote:
                          Maybe you should have posted that first? As to help the OP...im just saying that this site has become increasingly full of vague comments followed by some emoji to a member who has a real concern. And to answer your question....no nothing else to add to the list you posted, I understand it all and am mechanically sound in my ability to navigate a broken drive.

Cheers!
                          Everyone has their way of posting. Buiderdude has provided more help on this site than most.

Perhaps a new member should go with the flow a bit before being critical of the way a long time contributor makes his posts.

Cheers to you also.

Doug
                          Started boating 1955
                          Number of boats owned 32
                          Bayliners
                          3870 presently owned
                          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I didn't know we had a hierarchy here, I will post as I see fit. I'm not consumed with "member cred" based off of numbers of posts. I am simply calling out a trend I see that I think is irratating and counterproductive. Not all the time but often enough that I wanted to address it. And I think it's great that some have the time to spend here helping people. Unfortunately I am in engine compartments all the time getting commercial guys back out on the water.

Comment

"Valley" post=806311 wrote:
                              I didn't know we had a hierarchy here, I will post as I see fit. I'm not consumed with "member cred" based off of numbers of posts. I am simply calling out a trend I see that I think is irratating and counterproductive. Not all the time but often enough that I wanted to address it. And I think it's great that some have the time to spend here helping people. Unfortunately I am in engine compartments all the time getting commercial guys back out on the water.
                              :blink:

Comment

Working...
                              X