Little Bit of Rant-gctid805888

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Bit of Rant-gctid805888

I received an email from the GM of my marina this morning, explaining to me that she had 'several' complaints about me going too fast coming into the marina. She explained to me that the speed limit was 4 knots, which I was aware of and have always abided by. Now, this is where it gets interesting. I'm a bit of a techy and always record my tracks when I'm out on the boat using Navionics and a couple other apps. When I received the email this morning, my first intuition was to go back and check my recording to see what speeds I was carrying coming into the marina before I responded to the GM's email. It ranged from 3.5 knots to 4.2 knots except for about 4-5 seconds I got up to 5 knots which I blame on the strong wind gusts we had last night. When I turned into the long finger I take to get to my slip, the recording shows I slowed down to 2-3 knots. The complaint I received was that my wake was bumping some boats around. I specifically remember watching behind the boat at my wake as I came down the finger, like I always do and even called up the friend I had with me to ask what he remembered. He just kinda of laughed about it and said there was no wake at all. He was sitting at the back too and was watching around us as we pulled in.

My problem is, this person or persons decided to go directly to the GM and make a complaint without any proof or credible evidence that I did something wrong. They just eyed something up and decided my speed was too uncomfortable for them. Apparently it didn't matter to them that I happened to be following the rules as posted. I don't know who this person(s) is/are, but I've always found that talking to someone directly and in a respectful manner is usually the first and most appropriate way to handle things like this. I am new to the marina and as such, this is putting a bad taste in my mouth. Not only did you complain about nothing, you're creating an atmosphere in our marina community of distrust. Seriously, your boat bumped up against the dock from my tiny wake? The wind was gusting 25 knots all night long, which was pushing everyone's boat around. Did you complain to mother nature as well? I feel like I'm going to be constantly looking at the people walking around the marina, wondering who this person or people are. I've been nothing but friendly to everyone I've come across. I grew up in Nova Scotia. Being nice is what we do.

For the record, I've never had a complaint at any of the 3 marinas I've moored at before.

Please, next time, man up and come talk to me. I'm a very reasonable person and we can work out whatever concern you may have.

End rant.
    2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
    2009 Subaru WRX STI
    2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

"rossi45" post=805888 wrote:
    I received an email from the GM of my marina this morning, explaining to me that she had 'several' complaints about me going too fast coming into the marina. She explained to me that the speed limit was 4 knots, which I was aware of and have always abided by. Now, this is where it gets interesting. I'm a bit of a techy and always record my tracks when I'm out on the boat using Navionics and a couple other apps. When I received the email this morning, my first intuition was to go back and check my recording to see what speeds I was carrying coming into the marina before I responded to the GM's email. It ranged from 3.5 knots to 4.2 knots except for about 4-5 seconds I got up to 5 knots which I blame on the strong wind gusts we had last night. When I turned into the long finger I take to get to my slip, the recording shows I slowed down to 2-3 knots. The complaint I received was that my wake was bumping some boats around. I specifically remember watching behind the boat at my wake as I came down the finger, like I always do and even called up the fiend I had with me to ask what he remembered. He just kinda of laughed about it and said there was no wake at all. he was sitting at the back too and was watching around us as we pulled in.

My problem is, this person or persons decided to go directly to the GM and make a complaint without any proof or credible evidence that I did something wrong. They just eyed something up and decided my speed was too uncomfortable for them. Apparently it didn't matter to them that I happened to be following the rules as posted. I don't know who this person(s) is/are, but I've always found that talking to someone directly and in a respectful manner is usually the first and most appropriate was to handle things like this. I am new to the marina and as such, this is putting a bad taste in my mouth. Not only did you complain about nothing, you're creating an atmosphere in our marina community of distrust. Seriously, your boat bumped up against the dock from my tiny wake? The wind was gusting 25 knots all night long, which was pushing everyone's boat around. Did you complain to mother nature as well? I feel like I'm going to be constantly looking at the people walking around the marina, wondering who this person or people are. I've been nothing but friendly to everyone I've come across. I'm grew up in Nova Scotia. Being nice is what we do.

For the record, I've never had a complaint at any of the 3 marinas I've moored at before.

Please, next time, man up and come talk to me. I'm a very reasonable person and we can work out whatever concern you may have.

End rant.
    This may be tough to do, but if you know you did nothing wrong, I would laugh it off. It may just be penis envy. B)

May I ask which marina in Victoria you are moored in?
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

I'm in Tsehum Harbour.

As frustrating as I am, I've been laughing at the picture I have in my head of a group of people sitting on someones boats when one of them turned around to watch me come in and spilled their margarita and decided it was my fault.
      2009 Subaru WRX STI

Victoria, BC

Comment

"CptCrunchie" post=805889 wrote:
        I received an email from the GM of my marina this morning, explaining to me that she had 'several' complaints about me going too fast coming into the marina. She explained to me that the speed limit was 4 knots, which I was aware of and have always abided by. Now, this is where it gets interesting. I'm a bit of a techy and always record my tracks when I'm out on the boat using Navionics and a couple other apps. When I received the email this morning, my first intuition was to go back and check my recording to see what speeds I was carrying coming into the marina before I responded to the GM's email. It ranged from 3.5 knots to 4.2 knots except for about 4-5 seconds I got up to 5 knots which I blame on the strong wind gusts we had last night. When I turned into the long finger I take to get to my slip, the recording shows I slowed down to 2-3 knots. The complaint I received was that my wake was bumping some boats around. I specifically remember watching behind the boat at my wake as I came down the finger, like I always do and even called up the fiend I had with me to ask what he remembered. He just kinda of laughed about it and said there was no wake at all. he was sitting at the back too and was watching around us as we pulled in.

My problem is, this person or persons decided to go directly to the GM and make a complaint without any proof or credible evidence that I did something wrong. They just eyed something up and decided my speed was too uncomfortable for them. Apparently it didn't matter to them that I happened to be following the rules as posted. I don't know who this person(s) is/are, but I've always found that talking to someone directly and in a respectful manner is usually the first and most appropriate was to handle things like this. I am new to the marina and as such, this is putting a bad taste in my mouth. Not only did you complain about nothing, you're creating an atmosphere in our marina community of distrust. Seriously, your boat bumped up against the dock from my tiny wake? The wind was gusting 25 knots all night long, which was pushing everyone's boat around. Did you complain to mother nature as well? I feel like I'm going to be constantly looking at the people walking around the marina, wondering who this person or people are. I've been nothing but friendly to everyone I've come across. I'm grew up in Nova Scotia. Being nice is what we do.

End rant.
        This may be tough to do, but if you know you did nothing wrong, I would laugh it off. It may just be penis envy. B)

May I ask which marina in Victoria you are moored in?
        As easy as it was for the anonymous person to make the complaint you can easily tell the GM that you did not exceed the speed limit and you could even tell them they are welcome to examine your data to prove it.

Don't let an ahole get to you and especially don't let the ahole make you question others at your marina. You will always have aholes making trouble and there is little you can do about it. The best thing is to ignore them and enjoy life.
        2003 Bayliner 245
        2007 Sedona F21

Comment

My problem is, this person or persons decided to go directly to the GM and make a complaint without any proof or credible evidence that I did something wrong. They just eyed something up and decided my speed was too uncomfortable for them. Apparently it didn't matter to them that I happened to be following the rules as posted. I don't know who this person(s) is/are, but I've always found that talking to someone directly and in a respectful manner is usually the first and most appropriate way to handle things like this. I am new to the marina and as such, this is putting a bad taste in my mouth. Not only did you complain about nothing, you're creating an atmosphere in our marina community of distrust. Seriously, your boat bumped up against the dock from my tiny wake? The wind was gusting 25 knots all night long, which was pushing everyone's boat around. Did you complain to mother nature as well? I feel like I'm going to be constantly looking at the people walking around the marina, wondering who this person or people are. I've been nothing but friendly to everyone I've come across. I'm grew up in Nova Scotia. Being nice is what we do.

End rant.
          As easy as it was for the anonymous person to make the complaint you can easily tell the GM that you did not exceed the speed limit and you could even tell them they are welcome to examine your data to prove it.

Don't let an ahole get to you and especially don't let the ahole make you question others at your marina. You will always have aholes making trouble and there is little you can do about it. The best thing is to ignore them and enjoy life.
          2003 Bayliner 245
          2007 Sedona F21

Comment

Sometimes when the wind has you the only thing you can do is break a rule or two. My finger dock lies in a north-south direction and the channel, surprisingly, runs east-west. One fine afternoon as I was leaving the dock the north wind came up suddenly and immediately ran abou 20kn on my beam, while stopped. This was in my 2950 Encounter Sunbridge. The wind first pinned me against the end of two fingers which, with help from others, I was able to get clear of with the port engine running 2000 rpm in forward and the starboard engine running 1800 in reverse I continued to work my way down the channel. Every gust of wind pushed my bow to port and I was really working the throttles to keep it away from things. I'd have been up that creek it it were a single engine boat as I couldn't get the bow swung far enough to starboard to crab my way down the channel. When I was almost clear some guy yelled at me to slow down. He had watched me coming down the channel and apparently didn't understand the problem at hand.

As to your rant rossi45, I thought high suspense entertainment in Victoria was watch flowers bloom. Just kidding, but it may be a fact for the complaint maker.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Do they not have security cameras at the marina to confirm or dispel this stupid stuff?

If not I would record myself from here forward and put an end to it once and for all.
              Northport NY

Comment

Every marina has one or two of these kinds of people. We all have to deal with it in one way or another. It was just your turn is all.

Don't let it ruin your boating enjoyment.
                Dan
                Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
                Claudia V. III
                1988 - 3218
                Gas Drives

Comment

I was directly behind rossi45 at his last spot at Pedder Bay and I can verify that I never had an issue with his landings or existing of his slip. And I'm the grumpy old man on G17 that yells at any no-mind that has white water coming off their wake in the marina except when wind conditions require it. Ted.

PS Just notice your personal message, I was going to say enjoy the new location.

Comment

"playdoughted" post=805934 wrote:
                    I was directly behind rossi45 at his last spot at Pedder Bay and I can verify that I never had an issue with his landings or existing of his slip. And I'm the grumpy old man on G17 that yells at any no-mind that has white water coming off their wake in the marina except when wind conditions require it. Ted.

PS Just notice your personal message, I was going to say enjoy the new location.
                    You could probably do him a favor then and have a chat with his new GM.
                    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                    MMSI: 367637220
                    HAM: KE7TTR
                    TDI tech diver
                    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                    Kevin

Comment

Perhaps a letter back to the GM:

Dear GM, please feel free to contact me so that you may take a look at my electronic data for the day that this alleged complaint was filed. You will see from the data that my speed was within the limits.

Upon being satisfied that there was no violation, I would respectfully request that you remove the complaint from any file that you may have entered it into.

Please note that I respect our fellow members as I would hope that they respect me.

Thank you

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Ah yes, the griping class. Seems to be growing in and around the fun zone. Maybe a direct confrontation would end it. Be armed and be nasty.. lol

David
                        http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                        http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

Thanks for piping up Ted. I was shaking my fist a few times at the people who rent the marina boats who would come in on plane down beside our boats when I moored down your way.

So, I sent an email back to the GM, pretty much saying what 2850Bounty outlined. She hasn't replied to me yet. I kinda of feel sorry for her as I'm sure she has to deal with these crotchety old complainers once in a while. I'm heading back to the marina this weekend, so I'm just going to go and introduce myself to her and show her the recording if she's interested. Maybe she'll take that back to the complainers. We live in a world full of technology now. People recording abuse on airlines with their cell phones, crimes caught on security cameras. etc. It's probably a good rule of thumb to think about that before you fabricate something with nothing of your own to back it up.
                          2009 Subaru WRX STI

Victoria, BC

Comment

My favorite Foghorn Leghorn quote

"That boy has the brains the size of the small end of nothing sharpened!"

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

There are always people like this. The nice part is they're the minority.

Just laugh it off with your buddies. Nothing you can do for them. :silly:
                              2007 Bayliner 285 - Mercruiser 350 MAG Bravo III - "Always $umthing"
                              Boston, Massachusetts

Comment

Working...
                              X