Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposed motorboat ban West side San juan island. This would have a huge impact-gctid805866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposed motorboat ban West side San juan island. This would have a huge impact-gctid805866

Have any of you heard about this? A proposed motorboat ban up to a 3/4 mile off the west side of San Juan Islands washington.

I was.reading about the whale strike and found this. I fish in this area along with 100's if not thousands of people every year.

I'm not into conspiracy but doesn't it seem odd that every time there is a proposed ban (what ever it might be) there is an incident that happens and filmed and everyone freaks out.. ( red flag event)

http://q13fox.com/2017/04/13/whale-p...ends-thursday/

In my opinion this is a very bad idea.

Apparently the public open input period ended April 13_2017. Hhhhmmm
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Even out in the ocean there are whales hit by boats, how often is a whale hit in the San Juan island area?
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"boatworkfl" post=805881 wrote:
      Even out in the ocean there are whales hit by boats, how often is a whale hit in the San Juan island area?
      I haven't done enough reading on the matter, but my guess would be that this is a high quality feeding grounds and possibly even a calf rearing area.

I know the whale boats out of Victoria visit this area a lot as I've been on a few that go over there.

Personally, if it meant helping increase the slumping population of the resident Orca I'm all for it and I will voluntarily stay out of that area regardless. The thrill of seeing Orca while out on my boat pretty much outweighs the thrill of anything else I do out there and I don't get to see it often enough. More whales = more opportunity to see them.
      2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
      2009 Subaru WRX STI
      2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

Comment

Of course this is ship strikes I don't know about boats.......

Ship strikes of large whales cause mortalities worldwide, but there is uncertainty regarding the frequency and species involved.

We examined 130 records (from 1980ÔÇô2006) of large whale strandings in Washington State. Nineteen strandings (seven

species) had evidence of ship-strikes. Fin whales (Balaenoptera physalus) had the highest incidence of ante-mortem ship

strike (five of seven, with the remaining two possibly post-mortem) and all but one occurring since 2002. Six grey whales

(Eschrichtius robustus) suffered 'possible ship strike' injuries, likely the result of their large numbers in the area, rather

than high levels of ship strikes. Only one possible ship-struck humpback whale was recorded, despite concentrations of hump-

backs feeding within shipping lanes in this region. This study shows dramatic differences in occurrences of ship-struck large

whales by species, which we believe results from a combination of species' vulnerability to ship strikes, and how likely a struck

whale is to be caught up on the bow of a ship and brought to waters where it can be examined.

Keywords: Balaenoptera physalus; immature fin whale; grey whale; ship strike; stranding; Washington State.
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

This is more readable .....

Doesn't look like that many and for sure this is from all over the state not just the proposed area.
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

Out of Seward AK we often have whales and Orcas come with-in 25-50 ft. I once saw a pod of orcas in resurrection bay near Seward move into a location with approx. 30-40 small boats fishing for salmon, one 16 ft skiff with 4 older adults in it and an Orca came up 3' from the side of that boat and "look" at the elderly woman sitting their, man was she scared stiff, that Orcas eye was right on her looking for about 5 seconds.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I've had orcas surface within 100' of my boat between Orcas and Waldron Islands. Fortunately we were stopped watching orcas in the vicinity. Skipping the recent whale strike, the issue of boats in proximity to whales has been an issue for over thirty but less than fifty years. I say that because when I was a kid growing up we saw whales and stayed away. That's how we were taught. Now, with the whale watching boats, and the early operators going in far too close, rules have been made about how close. However, there are always some, IMO, that just don't get it or feel the need to get in the front row.

I know the west side of San Juan Island is a great place to fish, if there is even a season, but the real target is the guy like the one in the whale strike video. The one who can't figure out why there are a bunch of whale watching boats sitting nearly still.

The public input time notification was one of those things that if you didn't follow fishing or navigation all the time, it could be missed. I found it because of the WaEPA request to the Feds about on board blackwater treatment and discharge.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Whale watch boats are supposed to sty a certain distance from the whales, exception is: When the whales move towards the boat.

General Marine Mammal Viewing Code of Conduct

ÔÇóRemain at least 100 yards from marine mammals.

ÔÇóTime spent observing individual(s) should be limited to 30 minutes.

ÔÇóWhales should not be encircled or trapped between boats, or boats and shore.

ÔÇóIf approached by a whale, put the engine in neutral and allow the whale to pass.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

We would hate to see it limited more as that is where we fish when we have a season. My main issue with this whole picture is watching the tribes with their commercial run through the middle of the pods as the rules doesn't pertain to them

You would think they would but what I have seen they could care less if they hit one as fast as they were going to get to their spot.

My husband and I both wrote to NOAA when public comments were open against the possible new rules.

Personally its not the recreational fisherman as much as the whale watching boats

Comment

"boatworkfl" post=805881 wrote:
                    I have lived up there 6 years and that is the first time that I've heard of a boat hittin one.

Now I heard about the one that died because of a gps installed on it by the experts.
                    Esteban
                    Huntington Beach, California
                    2018 Element 16
                    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Working...
                    X