Pondering changing my EZ Loader trailer-gctid805407

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pondering changing my EZ Loader trailer-gctid805407

No matter what I've done, I'm still sinking half of my truck rear axle to launch and retrieve my boat at the ramps. I've changed the hitch height. I've lowered the front of the bunks as much as I can. This has forced me to change the bow roller and electric winch height ....twice. It seems that my only next option as I see it is to cut 2" from the bunk mounts, but would that alter the stability of my boat on the trailer if I have to stop quick? Moreover, am I over thinking it?

Here's how it is now.

When hooked to the truck, the trailer frame is perfectly parallel to the ground, which I understand is needed with the torsion axles. So, changing the hitch ball height is out. And as you can see, I have almost 3" of clearance between the fenders and the hull, and the fenders are bolted to the frame, so that distance won't change going over bumps.

Here's where I'd cut down the front bunk supports.

At present, the bunks are perfectly parallel to the ground and the frame. However, cutting them down would tip the front of the bunks slightly below parallel. My concern is if the reclined bunks, along with the back tie-downs allowing for a shift forward, as well as the winch cable being almost parallel to the ground with very little downforce, that I would land up with a 6800lb boat in the back of my truck if I have to stop quick.

This lead to thinking about changing my bow roller height and electric winch location.

If I raised the roller to above the ring, that would help with the shift. However, that means I would then have to connect the winch cable below the roller. While this would be acceptable, now the cable would be parallel to the ring, thereby granting no downward force to 'clamp' the boat to the trailer. This means I would have to somehow either lower the winch or attach a snatch block to the frame to run the winch cable through. I-yi-yi! :dry:

Thoughts? Do I have any other options?
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

EZ Loader is one of the bigger trailer manufacturers and they know what they are doing. The trailer is probably just fine. Either your boat is very heavily loaded (so it doesn't float as easily off the trailer), or the ramps you are using are at too shallow a grade (requiring you to back further down to reach the requisite depth).

They make trailer tongue extensions for trailered sailboats (their weighted keel means their hull is usually 18-36 inches higher than a power boat would sit in a trailer). You drive the trailer normally, and insert the extension at the ramp. The extension lets you lower the trailer further into the water without getting your truck's wheels wet. It's a little extra work at launch/pickup time, but I'd try that before hacking up your trailer.

Edit:

https://www.thoughtco.com/diy-boat-t...ension-2915340

http://www.xtend-a-hitchnorthwest.com/

Lots more if you google it
    1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Don't mess with the bunks etc. Extend the tongue.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"builderdude" post=805446 wrote:
        +1. And put those cross members back up to where they belong.
        Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ
        |
        Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
        2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
        2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
        2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
        2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
        And 12 others...
        In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Hmmmm..... Guess I'll either extend the hitch, which means extending the hydraulic and electrical lines, or continue to soak the hubs.

Indeed, the ramps at John Wayne Marina are quite shallow, while the ones at Port Angeles Boat Haven are considerably steeper. We launch out of JWM more, but thankfully, they have a rinsing station. Just wish my rear wheels were disc like my trailer so I could blast them with water.

Thanks, guys.
          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
          TDI tech diver
          Kevin

Comment

Take off the bunks & put on rollers. Put the winch cable under the front roller & add a safety chain.
            Ernie
            1986 3270
            Volvo 305s

MMSI 338130047
            Lake Michigan

Comment

"CaptUgly" post=805454 wrote:
              Take off the bunks & put on rollers. Put the winch cable under the front roller & add a safety chain.
              I have thought about rollers, it's just the expense. It already has a good safety chain, came with the trailer, but will it stop a 6800lb boat, or will it just straighten the hook?
              TDI tech diver
              Kevin

Comment

"builderdude" post=805446 wrote:
                Yes...... that is exactly what I would recommend doing, and is exactly what I would do if I owned your set up.

It will also follow better, and reversing will be much easier.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X