Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Yep. I am very familiar with that boat, my friend had one for 5 years. It has a good size flying bridge. If 5 or 8 of the people were up there it really raises the center of gravity. And thats a high boat as the flybridge is about 15' at the top.

Besides, one of the reports was "the waves were as high as the boat...."

What the H were they doing out there?

As I said before: "God watches out for fools and drunks--most of the time"
    Captharv 2001 2452
    "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

"What the H were they doing out there?"

That is the best local spot to watch a large fireworks display put on each year at that time of night.

It gets very crowded there on the water and knowing that boat well ourselves we wonder where they put 27 people and the associated weight.
      Northport NY

Comment

http://gma.yahoo.com/boat-capsizes-o...opstories.html

The 3 that died were children. What a shame.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Such a horrible ending to what is supposed to be a happy time. That boat should never have left its dock or mooring. There is no way that many people should be on a boat that size. This is another example of how out of control things have become on the waterways around Long Island. It seems almost every week there is another story about a boating incident that makes the news or papers. I am sure there are plenty that don't. Just because you can afford a boat does not mean you know how to operate it. In this case 3 children paid with thier lives. I am sure there are many details that are still coming to light however the most significant detail is plain to see, to many people on a boat of that size. I hate to say it but the Captain of that boat is responsible for the deaths of those children and ultimately should be held accountable. I am sure there are people out there that won't agree or say that I am rushing to judgement as well as people that agree. Until people are held responsible for thier actions preventable tragedies such as this will continue to happen.

Comment

kwmeyer13 wrote:
            Such a horrible ending to what is supposed to be a happy time. That boat should never have left its dock or mooring. There is no way that many people should be on a boat that size. This is another example of how out of control things have become on the waterways around Long Island. It seems almost every week there is another story about a boating incident that makes the news or papers. I am sure there are plenty that don't. Just because you can afford a boat does not mean you know how to operate it. In this case 3 children paid with thier lives. I am sure there are many details that are still coming to light however the most significant detail is plain to see, to many people on a boat of that size. I hate to say it but the Captain of that boat is responsible for the deaths of those children and ultimately should be held accountable. I am sure there are people out there that won't agree or say that I am rushing to judgement as well as people that agree. Until people are held responsible for thier actions preventable tragedies such as this will continue to happen.
            I would have to agree.

Without all the facts...

There were many other boaters out there so it wasn't a matter of really rough weather.

27 people on board watching fireworks probably means a very full flybridge. Thats where you'd want to be to watch the fireworks.

Sounds like overloading and weight/balance issues.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
            https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Just heard about this. 27 aboard a 34 footer?? that's definitely way too much.

Comment

The Captain is always responsible for his vessel. Unless you have a Haitian "loadmaster" one shouldn't push the boundries of common sense in loading boats.

Comment

If this is indeed a 34' Silverton convertible, it is actually a very comfortable boat. However, NOT for 27 people! We had the Luhrs version of this boat in our family for several years. It gets crowded with 6-8 people on it pretty fast. I can't imagine 27.

Comment

The captain of this boat needs to be held accountable for the tragic loss of these three children. What an irresponsible fool to allow that many people onto the boat. He/she needs to be held responsible, if for no other reason, than to serve as a possible deterrent to other would-be irresponsible fools.

As a side note, what kind of ignorant parent would allow their children onto a vessel that was so overloaded? Even if I were the first guest onboard with my kids, I would never let the boat leave the dock with us on there with so many other people. Physics rule the day when you are on the water, respect it or pay. Imagine what the emergency responders had to deal with when finding those kids. Heart-breaking.

Comment

When I heard the news, my thoughts immediately turned to "OVERLOADED". Does anyone know the make and model of the boat and maximum rated occupancy?

Comment

From what I can tell, this is the model - 1984 Silverton 34C

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/701028=29419-DLRnb142931729201145552PM-P1.jpg[/img]

Comment

Others interviewed stated that a nasty storm came up quick. My guess is that the 27 passengers quickly tried to get into the "safe" areas of the cabin and weight distribution played a big part of this. Captain probably had no control once too much weight went the wrong way.

Comment

FWIW - The storm was not bad at all but the 300+ other boats crowding the area for Fireworks allowed for a real mess of wakes.

This is just a terrible story that was completey avoidable with some boating common sense. There were many LEO assetts in the area at the time and response was very quick but once a boat like that capsizes many things happen too fast

The boat was obviously overloaded and the full story will eventually come out but please be carefull out there.

Absolutely no need for any more of these events.
                            Northport NY

Comment

What a tragedy.

The initial article I read quoted a dock neighbor of the capsized vessel saying it "wasn't overloaded" and the operator was an "experienced captain" who knew the area well.

My first thought was that makes TWO idiots.

Clearly it was overcrowded. And knowing one area well does not make someone an "experienced captain".

We had a capsize in our area just a few days ago. A 32' boat with what looked like a 35' tuna tower and even longer pulpit. There were four people up in the tower when it went by us, weaving back and forth. Everyone remarked how unstable it looked. Somehow they made it around the bend and a couple of hundred yards upriver before it turned turtle. Fortunately Darwin did not take his due on that one; everyone is OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X