2012 cruising 1000 islands-gctid397118

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 cruising 1000 islands-gctid397118

I'm now in Trenton just on my way back from a few weeks in Thousand Islands.

No trouble getting dockage on islands and all marinas on the Canadian side said traffic is down. I'm not surprised. Gas at Collins Bay $1.649 a litre.

At the car pumps $1.129 a litre.

Parks Canada wants to increase the number of no generator islands! If you are not in favour you have to email the Ministry responsible for Parks Canada.

Dockage at Picton public marina was $1.80 per foot....and this is Picton Ontario! The only fair place was Meyers Pier in Belleville which is public run. High test gas was $1.399 and dockage was $1.60 which for this area was good.

Next they will be crying for government help! Hell there are rocks, trees and water pretty much everywhere in Canada.....where do these guys get the idea that it's worth the cost to travel on the Canadian side!

Dockage with power in Clayton was $1.25 a foot and they took Canadian money on par. Cape Vincent gave two days free.....good docks but no water or power. Marine gas was around $1.23 a litre.

Next year we are doing the US side once we are east of Whitby.

Learned a long time aago to fuel up on the US side. In fact I believe the last time I fuelled on the CDN side was.....hmmm, can't remember. almost all my docking is at anchor with maybe a night or 2 on the US side. Always liked the River Edge for 1 night. This year we may do the Rideau but not sure yet as the islands have still soooo much to offer. Should be fun come last week of July when vacation kicks in. :arr
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Larry, if you are coming west from Trenton you are welcome to stop in as my guest at www.fairportyachtclub.ca in Frenchmans Bay.

No fuel here but Whitby Harbour gas docks are far cheaper than in Toronto. It is about halfway back to Burlington for you.

Just pull in to the outer visitor docks by the BBQ deck and wander down to slip 7. The sign in sheet and access fobs hang under my BBQ in the cockpit of "Adios Dinero" if I am not on board. Fill in the green sheet and take the red welcome sheet for our rules and area amenities.

We allow visitors from reciprocal Yacht Clubs or guests of members three days at no charge.

Lots to do here as well.

Follow the channel markers and do a 180 degree turn to Starboard after the last one.
      "Adios Dinero"
      1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
      Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

The Other Gary wrote:
        Larry, if you are coming west from Trenton you are welcome to stop in as my guest at www.fairportyachtclub.ca in Frenchmans Bay.

No fuel here but Whitby Harbour gas docks are far cheaper than in Toronto. It is about halfway back to Burlington for you.

Just pull in to the outer visitor docks by the BBQ deck and wander down to slip 7. The sign in sheet and access fobs hang under my BBQ in the cockpit of "Adios Dinero" if I am not on board. Fill in the green sheet and take the red welcome sheet for our rules and area amenities.

We allow visitors from reciprocal Yacht Clubs or guests of members three days at no charge.

Lots to do here as well.

Follow the channel markers and do a 180 degree turn to Starboard after the last one.
        Thank you very much for the invitation. We will see what the Admiral wants to do. If the water is good we may move up the lake a bit. The last time we were in Frenchman's Bay we stayed at a club with great people and did a "picnic table run" with the dinghys! Have they fixed the harbour entrance which was under water the last time I was there?

We are in Cobourg tonight. The water was flat from Trenton to here and at $1.35 a foot, this is an excellent deal with a great town.

I usually stay in Whitby, either at the club or at the Marina as they give reciprocals as well.

Weather and water are suppose to be great right into the weekend.

Comment

The channel is narrow but well buoyed. 6 feet all the way at this water level.

The new 9 million dollar channel funding was announced July 1st with work

to begin this fall.

Whitby Yacht Club is also good and WhiskeyWizard is there.

We have better bars and restaurants.
          "Adios Dinero"

Comment

The Other Gary wrote:
            The channel is narrow but well buoyed. 6 feet all the way at this water level.

The new 9 million dollar channel funding was announced July 1st with work

to begin this fall.

Whitby Yacht Club is also good and WhiskeyWizard is there.

We have better bars and restaurants.
            I'll bet you do! There has been a lot of development happen in FB since I was last there and that harbour project is long over due!

I have met Mike and his charming wife.....very nice people.

One reason we miss FB is because we tend to head up the lake asap as weather and wind can change quickly. I have been trapped in some smaller ports for three days on a bad year! It's ok if you can hit some of the bigger ones like FB or Toronto Islands but there is only so much time I can spend in places like Newcastle without going crazy...

Comment

This has been the biggest project of my carreer.

I acted as the consultant for Pickering harbour Company and assembled the land

designed the buildings, arranged parnerships with builders, lobbied the Ontario

Government to change the Condominium Act for the first Registered Dockominium

built in Ontario, then marketed the project to the public and handed over the keys to the new

owners as they moved in. The stores and boutiques on Liverpool are all my design work

Currently I am working with the Marina to Dockominiumize their docks for Larger

Boats to 70 feet and the new Harbour entrance is the key to all this.

Watch the first two minutes of yesterdays news for a good video of the channel

entrance. Donny from our Club took the reporter out for the shots.

Fairport Yacht Club is the first set of docks you see to starboard in this video as you enter

the bay. South of that is the older Marina docks where the Mayor is speaking.

http://www.channel12.ca/Watch/ST12N/..._5th_2012.aspx
              "Adios Dinero"

Comment

The Other Gary wrote:
                This has been the biggest project of my carreer.

I acted as the consultant for Pickering harbour Company and assembled the land

designed the buildings, arranged parnerships with builders, lobbied the Ontario

Government to change the Condominium Act for the first Registered Dockominium

built in Ontario, then marketed the project to the public and handed over the keys to the new

owners as they moved in. The stores and boutiques on Liverpool are all my design work

Currently I am working with the Marina to Dockominiumize their docks for Larger

Boats to 70 feet and the new Harbour entrance is the key to all this.

Watch the first two minutes of yesterdays news for a good video of the channel

entrance. Donny from our Club took the reporter out for the shots.

Fairport Yacht Club is the first set of docks you see to starboard in this video as you enter

the bay. South of that is the older Marina docks where the Mayor is speaking.

http://www.channel12.ca/Watch/ST12N/..._5th_2012.aspx
                Right now the Lake is pretty good and we are making good time 7.5...8 knots so we have decided to fuel in Whitby and if things don't change go to Frenchman's Bay. We should arrive around $ to 4:30 pm.

It looks like tomorrow is bad so we may be your guests for two days. I'd like to see all the changes since I was there in the late 90's.

Comment

No problem

Slip 26 North side, Stern in, Starboard tie.

It is just on the land side of a 43 Grand Banks.

two 30 amp outlets

Visit up to 3 days per boat three times a year

No charge

VHF 68
                  "Adios Dinero"

Comment

The Other Gary wrote:
                    Visit up to 3 days per boat three times a year

No charge
                    Gary, that has to be the best deal on the lake.

Larry - Sounds like you're headed into Whitby harbour in the next hour or 2; No way I can make it down to see you. sorry to miss you again this year. Keep trying! I'm not as nice a guy as Gary is, but you're still welcome at WYC anytime.

Comment

Mike, this is our 2012 reciprocal policy and Highland YC is the same.

August 18 is Dockfest and recprocals are suspended that weekend as

it is always sold out long before and we assign slips to ticket holders.

Any other time you are welcome and I have had a WYC member come and stay

so he could walk to work for a few days. Get the picture.
                      "Adios Dinero"

Comment

The Other Gary wrote:
                        Get the picture.
                        I sure do.

My Mom said I was special, not slow. It looks like it's about 2.5km on foot.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                          Gary, that has to be the best deal on the lake.

Larry - Sounds like you're headed into Whitby harbour in the next hour or 2; No way I can make it down to see you. sorry to miss you again this year. Keep trying! I'm not as nice a guy as Gary is, but you're still welcome at WYC anytime.
                          Actually the nice guy thing was more a reference to your wife....... No worries Mike...I may get back this way later this year and we can share a drink.

Gary was just great and Fairport is really nice. Nothing like the last time I was there.

Comment

Working...
                          X