How many passengers can I put on my boat?-gctid397105

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many passengers can I put on my boat?-gctid397105

I have searched hi and low for the specs for my 91 2655 and can not seem to find out how many passengers or gross weight I can safely carry aboard.

If anyone with the same or similar boat knows please share.

Thanks in advance

On my trophy 20 foot it says 8. I would say its way more comfortable with 4 or 5 max. 26 foot I would imagine 10 or 12 but maybe more like 7 or 8 comfortably.

Comment

if you're actually going out of the harbour I'd stop at 5 plus Captain ...

Comment

shouldn't there be a capacity plate somewhere???? That should show the maximum load in pounds and the maximum number of passengers....... Mine has it.

You can also do it the Texas livestock trailer style: as long as the rear gate can be closed the trailer isn't overloaded.......

bigjohnbates wrote:
        if you're actually going out of the harbour I'd stop at 5 plus Captain ...
        yikes, I get that many into my nutshell......

Comment

Beyond a certain size boats do not require a capacity plate.

I go with how many spaces you have for seated passangers in the cockpit.

Our 305 can seat 8 and that is an absolute maximum we could handle. In reality I try to stay six or less.

95% of the time it is the Admiral and I.
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

kjs wrote:
            shouldn't there be a capacity plate somewhere???? That should show the maximum load in pounds and the maximum number of passengers....... Mine has it.

You can also do it the Texas livestock trailer style: as long as the rear gate can be closed the trailer isn't overloaded.......

yikes, I get that many into my nutshell......
            Boats

Bow riders are a bit different... you can easily fit 6 on a bow rider and have a great day out on a small lake. On my 29', 4 is enough and 6 is a crowd. It's because on a bow rider you expect to sit down and stay there, once you get into the larger boats you have people walking around and doing things and you realize you're in small space once you get a bunch of people

Comment

My boat says 12 which is ok if one person is in te bathroom, two in the aft cabin, 2 in the forward cabin one in the engine compartment and one riding on the bow.

Comment

Ishiboo, I think it's greater than 26 feet. All the above advise is good, but the Coasties or water cops don't really care about the listed number of allowed weight or passengers, as long as you have proper PFDs for each person on board, and you are not obviously overloaded for safe operation.

As an example, this Friday we have a boat trip scheduled with a bunch of out-of-town guests. There will be 8 kids (ages 2-14), 8 adults, our 70 lb. dog and a bunch of ice chests. Too many in my opinion for the Bayliner 2858, but we also have a 24 ft. pontoon. It is rated for 15 people, we would be one over. Weight wise, we're slightly under. I do have enough PFDs. It can only seat 12 comfortably, maybe 14. I don't think I'll try going far, but I do want to cruise the no-wake bay area here and get a photo...
                Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ
                |
                Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
                2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                And 12 others...
                In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

The Other Gary has a great answer for his 39' sedan bridge. He can accommodate 8 for drinks, 4 for dinner and 2 overnight.

Comment

jeffw wrote:
                    Ishiboo, I think it's greater than 26 feet. All the above advise is good, but the Coasties or water cops don't really care about the listed number of allowed weight or passengers, as long as you have proper PFDs for each person on board, and you are not obviously overloaded for safe operation.

As an example, this Friday we have a boat trip scheduled with a bunch of out-of-town guests. There will be 8 kids (ages 2-14), 8 adults, our 70 lb. dog and a bunch of ice chests. Too many in my opinion for the Bayliner 2858, but we also have a 24 ft. pontoon. It is rated for 15 people, we would be one over. Weight wise, we're slightly under. I do have enough PFDs. It can only seat 12 comfortably, maybe 14. I don't think I'll try going far, but I do want to cruise the no-wake bay area here and get a photo...
                    That might be a standard that has changed over the years. My 1980 Santiago has no capacity plate, and by all research I have done that model never has. It is titled and listed as 20.5 feet. The next model down from that era, the Liberty (very similar hull and set up) is 19 feet. That I have seen capacity plates for. As for my boat, I would say my limits are at 5 plus me for cruising, though that plus coolers and such is definitely noticeable when it comes to getting on plane. I've only done one trip like that so far, and that was 7 adults *including myself. Not a lot of room for moving about, but was a fun trip. (We slept 3 on the boat that night, with two different couples in tents on the beach.) I don't think I want to do that many people again. But... with careful planning and a little "safety briefing" from myself before leaving the dock, stating that if I say to do something you better damn well do it for one thing, it went off quite smoothly.

Comment

16 is pushing the safety limit, depends on the total weight of all passengers and gear, that being said; just watch your speed, have all of the safety gear, get a goast guard auxillars inspection, this will help with spot check ups. remember-you will be responsible for everyone on board, no matter what happens!
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

My 2355 Capacity plate says 12 Passengers and Max weeight of 1800 lbs. Now wouldn't that be cosy.

Comment

Drifter wrote:
                          My 2355 Capacity plate says 12 Passengers and Max weeight of 1800 lbs. Now wouldn't that be cosy.
                          12 passengers weighing 150 lbs each and no gear, pause for thought. No pop, no beer, no food, no ice, no bait, no fishing gear.
                          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                          Twin 350 GM power
                          Located in Seward, AK
                          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                            Beyond a certain size boats do not require a capacity plate.

I go with how many spaces you have for seated passangers in the cockpit.

Our 305 can seat 8 and that is an absolute maximum we could handle. In reality I try to stay six or less.

95% of the time it is the Admiral and I.
                            I agree. The reality is the boat will handle weight more safely than it can handle numbers. My 2855 can seat 6 in the cockpit. To me 4 or 5 is most I care to deal with, especially when you consider no one stays put, once people start to move about it gets crowded fast

Comment

I agree. The reality is the boat will handle weight more safely than it can handle numbers. My 2855 can seat 6 in the cockpit. To me 4 or 5 is most I care to deal with, especially when you consider no one stays put, once people start to move about it gets crowded fast
                              +1

I was docked this past weekend and had 6 below playing cards and enjoying the AC and another 4 or 5 on the deck having a drink. Lets say 11 or 12 in total, I couldn't imagine trying drive that way, it was tough enough trying to get to the cooler and the head!

I will operate with 8, but it depends on who it is. The other trouble with most of our bayliners is that almost all of the seating is on or near the port side. Trim tabs can only do so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X