Thinking about going cheap on remanufactured engine?-gctid397079

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about going cheap on remanufactured engine?-gctid397079

Don't do it!!! Here's the difference between company A and Michigan Motorz.... nuff said!!! BTW, I'm not paid in anyway by MM, I'm just a very happy customer!

Company A's product as delivered:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/go0be3ftyp...2015.11.13.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcp4r4tile...2015.11.29.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfnc74v25w...2015.12.00.jpg

Here's what you get with a top notch organization, aka Michigan Motorz:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wccqpdwsd9...2015.47.01.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9x5oj5yoll...2015.47.49.jpg

So what have I learned? You get what you pay for! As a side note, I ordered this engine on a Tuesday and it was in my driveway 7 days later!

So just what is it that's wrong with a little bend in a pushrod? I think that you're being waaaaay too picky!

Bench vice..... hammer........ cocktail.... done! :kidding

So... you went with MM? Good call!

Edit w/ Question and FYI:

I see in the third image, a SBC with the later crankshaft flange. This is the engine that you are not using.... correct?

Did you order the same crankshaft style engine from MM?

If so, your original AQ225 flywheel is not going to work for you.

You'll need a later 153 tooth flywheel.

These are actually a post '87 Camero car std transmission application.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
      So just what is it that's wrong with a little bend in a pushrod? I think that you're being waaaaay too picky!

Bench vice..... hammer........ cocktail.... done! :kidding

So... you went with MM? Good call!

Edit w/ Question and FYI:

I see in the third image, a SBC with the later crankshaft flange. This is the engine that you are not using.... correct?

Did you order the same crankshaft style engine from MM?

If so, your original AQ225 flywheel is not going to work for you.

You'll need a later 153 tooth flywheel.

These are actually a post '87 Camero car std transmission application.

Rick, yes I did go with MM... should have the first time around! The 3rd pic is the engine i did not go with.

MM sent me a 1985 block which has a two-piece rear main seal and they included a new flywheel to match up to it. I should be able to use my existing ummm....i think it's called a flywheel damper? It's the triangle shaped piece that attaches to the flywheel.

KC :-)

Comment

Yes, that is your Borg Warner drive coupler, and it will bolt right up to any GM V-8 flywheel.

Grease the splines on both the coupler and the PDS.

And definitely replace the PDS bearings and seals while you have the engine out.

This is a MUST DO!

See the Vault thread for this!
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
          Yes, that is your Borg Warner drive coupler, and it will bolt right up to any GM V-8 flywheel.

Grease the splines on both the coupler and the PDS.

And definitely replace the PDS bearings and seals while you have the engine out.

[COLOR]"#FF0000" wrote:
          This is a MUST DO! [/COLOR]

See the Vault thread for this!
          I did replace the bearings and seals.... had a little party getting the aft snap rings out... what a treat that was! :livid:

Thanks for always "encouraging" the PDS job!!!

Comment

:coo-
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Make sure to check timing propely and verify that the.timing N

curve is correct.
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

yachtman wrote:
                Make sure to check timing propely and verify that the timing curve is correct.
                No kidding! Great point!

Greg's recent thread became quite involved in this topic.

Side note:

MM has earned a good reputation with us here.

It's nice to be able to recommend a company that delivers a good product, and who steps up to the plate when necessary.

This is why we mention their name.

Conversely, I think that we should occasionally mention when a company performs poorly.

This helps us avoid these companies.

Point being... why not mention the name of the company who shipped the first engine with the bent pushrod (spelled poor shipping techniques)?

It may prevent one of us from also have a bad experience!

Unless of course it was Dave's Engines out of Spokane WA, or Rick's Engines out of Fairview OR.

If that's the case, I'd prefer that you keep it under your hat!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                  No kidding! Great point!

Greg's recent thread became quite involved in this topic.

Side note:

MM has earned a good reputation with us here.

It's nice to be able to recommend a company that delivers a good product, and who steps up to the plate when necessary.

This is why we mention their name.

Conversely, I think that we should occasionally mention when a company performs poorly.

Point being... why not mention the name of the company who shipped the first engine with the bent pushrod (spelled poor shipping techniques)?

Unless of course it was[COLOR]"#B22222" wrote:
                  Dave's engines[/COLOR] out of Spokane WA, or Rick's Engines out of Fairview OR.

If that's the case, I'd prefer that you keep it under your hat!

WTF!!!! RICKyou make me laugh. Never in a millions years.:kidding
                  1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:

I will gladly name the company after I get the refund from them. The owner of "Company A" offered a refund last week, but as of yet, no refund has been applied. I'm turning the charge over to MasterCard's fraud dept... already alerted them there may be an issue with this company and they said no problem...

As soon as I get the refund, I'll be sure to update...

Comment

kellynm wrote:
                      I will gladly name the company after I get the refund from them. The owner of "Company A" offered a refund last week, but as of yet, no refund has been applied. I'm turning the charge over to MasterCard's fraud dept... already alerted them there may be an issue with this company and they said no problem...

As soon as I get the refund, I'll be sure to update...
                      FINALLY got the refund from Rapido Marine. Raul (owner) is a nice talking guy and I really wanted to do business with him, but day after day after day of excuses and then the whole fiasco with shipping and then finally receiving the engine which was upside-down, broken push rod and not even strapped down to the pallet was a total disaster. I'm not saying he can't provide a product, but what I am saying is I feel so much better having a quality product my MichiganMotorz. MM is a bit more, but for the suffering I've been through, believe me, MM is the only way to go!!!

Right now I'm assembling the old parts on the new part... I'm hoping to have it ready to go back in the boat this weekend... waiting on some new parts to come in to...

We've been in a drought for years and this past week it has been raining like crazy! Thankful for the moisture... but wouldn't mind a few dry days to work on the boat!!!

Comment

I used to ship engines when I sold the low mile japanese ones.

Let me tell you, I was amazed at some of the damage that took place while in transit, some which still makes me scratch my head.

I've heard of Rapido before, nothing top shelf but nothing bad either. It sounds like the motor was handled poorly by freight, and without tin the engine upside down would easily bend a pushrod via the weight on a rocker.

I used to ship via ratchet straps and cardboard wrap, but too much breakage was happening. Started crating them up on pallets...then stuff would get stacked on top and the crate crushed-engine damaged. Finally started using a piece of carpet, then a plywood top, then straps and got minimal freight damage.

I had a 12,000km prelude 2.2L VTEC motor that was absolutely mint, showroom floor condition. The only excuse for the damage it took during shipping was it must have been dropped off the loading dock. The engine smashed thru the pallet it was on, smashed the pan, cracked the block on one side, and bent the crank! Insurance took care of the cost of the engine and freight but the buyer was very bummed as another engine with that low of KM and condition wasn't going to come along anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X