Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical Marine Mechanic Rates.-gctid803179

Good morning all,

I am new to boating but I understand the typical Marine Mechanic charges about $90.00 an hour. My question is in regard to replacing a bilge pump. I have been quoted $135.00 labor (1.5 hrs) to replace an easily accessible bilge pump in the engine room. The replacement pump will use the same footprint. Is this a fair rate?

The reason for my question is when I look at this job it looks like it should take 20 minutes or so to replace -( a couple of screws to remove and a few wires). I also plan on using a Marine Mechanic from time to time and I need to know if this Mechanic is overcharging.

Thank you for any insight you can offer. - Paul

Paul, not discounting the professional technicians but the job you describe is so darn simple. Have you given thought to doing it yourself? Save the technicians, and the associated expense for the tough jobs. As to why it's so expensive , the tech must travel to your boat to asses the job and what he needs. Then he's got to chase down parts and make a second trip to your boat to r and r the old pump. Depending on location he's probably got one to two hours of travel time alone for a fifteen minute job.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Not that simple

The fellow has to guaranty his work and he has to have insurance in case that bilge pump burns the boat down

Also travel time

It not like you were doing it as a labor of love-- he has to make a living.

Comment

+1 on Jim and Sea Q. This probably is one of the simpler jobs. Power off, cut wires, unscrew. Do the reverse with 4200 in screw holes, use heat shrinking for water intrusion on wires, zap strap if necessary and you are done. You are right, it should not take longer than 20 minutes, but a mechanic does have to travel, source, insure and warranty. A fair price for the mechanics 1.5 hours. But for me, the joy of owning a boat has been doing the work myself and learning new things. Sometimes not total joy, but that is where alcohol therapy comes in
        Bayliner 4387
        250 Hino's

Comment

I do almost all my own maintenance and repairs, except for those that require special tools or skill. I can't tell you how many times I thought a job that I thought should take a certain amount of time invariably turned in to take double that amount, and I have fair skills. If you have the time, I suggest getting your hands dirty and do as much as you can. You will learn about the various systems on the boat over time and this knowledge could come in handy if you have a problem when out away from a handy mechanic. $90/hr is in the typical range for tradepeople these days.

Comment

I should have mentioned originally that this mechanic is also the Marina owner and has owned the marina and been a mechanic there for 35 years. His extensive shop is also onsite at the Marina so there is no travel time for him

Based upon members responses, it is clear $135.00 labor is too much for this. I will replace the pump myself. I am new to the marina and would have thought he would be more reasonable with his rates in order to gain future business from me.

He is the nicest guy in the world but is 71 years old. Thinking about his situation, my opinion is he is probably ready to retire and will only accept jobs if it is worth his wild ($$)

Comment

East side around Seattle shop rate is $170~180 an hour...

$90 is only half of what most of us are being charged around here.
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

I pay $90 in Anacortes with no travel fee.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

The last time I hired a marine mechanic to work on my gas engines was pretty much a bust. I was stumped as to why one of them wouldn't start. It turned out to be a weak coil. That got replaced then in setting the timing he didn't believe/think grounding the ignition was really important. Yeah, after he left I set the timing according to every manual I've read. Needless to say it was several degrees off at idle.

The labor rates are, in many cases, rediculus. I understand the rate includes employee benefits (if they even get them) and the managers and other support staff that do not directly create shop income. There is also the slow season that has to be covered to keep the company in business, in Washington State, every municipality where that mechanic works requires a business license, plus workers comp. I'm not defending the high binders from Bellevue, they charge like everybody's a Microsoft millionaire. On the contrary, instead of having one of them work on my boat, I'd take it to Anacortes, save money and get a boat ride in the process. But that's me. Too many years doing cost analysis and estimating.
                  P/C Pete
                  Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                  MMSI 367770440

Comment

A lot of money and Cobalts around Lake Washington, it's going up even more.
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

Thank you guys,

Reading some of your posts on this topic maybe I can't blame the guy too much for his quoted price. But it looks I will be buying some tools and learning how to work on a boat pretty quickly.

As redskyjoe mentioned, there is valuable knowledge to be gained and a certain amount of satisfaction that comes from working on the boat yourself.

Comment

If you want it done right, DIY & you'll be richer
                        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                        93 3058 sold
                        92 2855 (day boat)
                        Longbranch WA
                        Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=803248 wrote:
                          If you want it done right, DIY & you'll be richer
                          That's good for you who enjoy doing mechanics. I do it out of necessity and to save money on the simpler things they charge so much to do. But I believe they charge so much because they think, 'If they could do it and don't, they should pay extra.' Personally, I don't blame them for doing that, because laziness has a price.

However, for those few of us who attempt to do those seemingly simple mechanics but watch as three more things need replacing as a result, it is often cheaper and less stressful to simply hire someone to do it, someone who knows what all can happen if I screw up, ESPECIALLY with all the mechanical systems on a boat.

Thankfully, replacing a bilge pump is more electrical than mechanical, so I'm okay doing that.

That said, in my life, $90/hr to do mechanics on my boat is money well spent ....if there is such a thing. :S
                          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                          MMSI: 367637220
                          HAM: KE7TTR
                          TDI tech diver
                          BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                          Kevin

Comment

I pay $110/hr in Olympia. I live 120 miles from my boat, so while there is much I have the skills to do, because of time constraints I sometimes face the choice of working on the boat or going boating. When the weather is nice, going boating wins. I would not be insulted by the quote of $135 for the install of the bilge pump.
                            Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
                            1989 2855
                            Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

Remember what "boat" stands for. Bring Out Another Thousand. Your prices for boats, parts and labour are considerably less than we pay in Australia.

Two recent examples:

Element F18 : $55,000 with 115HP

2 year service on Mercury 4 stroke 115HP on my Element XL $575.75.
                              Peter Walter-Smith
                              Riverport of Goolwa, South Australia
                              2014 Bayliner Element XL
                              115HP Mercury EFI

Comment

Working...
                              X