searching for older 24-26(39) hardtop... mini cruiser?-gctid802976

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

searching for older 24-26(39) hardtop... mini cruiser?-gctid802976

we are looking for an older (affordable) cabin cruiser in the 24 to 26ft range, and after about 3 months of searching the internet the only boat that seems to come close to what we want is the Bayliner 2452 Classic. the hard top is what tips the scales our way.

a 26 footer would be better and I have heard there is a Bayliner 2670 Explorer but all I can find on the net is a 2870, which is bigger than we want

the 2870 is a semi displacement cruiser style boat, which would be fine for us if it wasnt so heavy... and the 2452, in my opinion, is a fishing boat that has the amenities to be a comfortable weekender. an enclosed bulkhead would make it a much better mini cruiser. (a canvas enclosure isnt the same as a bulkhead enclosed boat)

is there such a thing as a 2670 model?

did bayliner make a 2452 with an "alaskan" bulkhead?... I have seen the 2852's with them.

I prefer the room of the 28ft boats (or larger), but they are a PIA to trailer as much as we do and as far as we go, so they are not an option for us.

as much as I like bayliner (and will probably end up with another one), I would like to see other models/brands of 24 to 26ft boats that has very little cockpit space, but a large cabin space, with the helm inside, or an alaskan bulkhead to enclose it all.

I also like the idea of an aft cabin or "mid" cabin as I would call it, but this isnt a necessary thing.

my perfect boat would be 26ft long, have the living space below, with a mid berth but with the galley up at deck level enclosed with the helm opposite, and a about 30 inches of cockpit length.

the different brands of tugs qualify, but they arent affordable to a regular working man.

the minimum requirements of what we need are...

trailerable..

a hard top over the helm.. and preferably enclosed with a bulkhead.

a berth large enough that a couple can comfortably sleep in..

enclosed head..

a galley..

...... does anyone have suggestions for other bayliner models or boat brands to look at that are affordable (25,000 or less) and may qualify to fit to our desires???

also, as there are so many different models of bayliners, with the different options, is there some code as to what the numbers mean, such as 2452? I know by the first two digits that it falls within the 24ft range, but what does the "52" designate... or the 55 in 2455, or the 70 in 2870, ect....??? Thanks

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

It would help to better assist you if you filled in your profile so we know a little more about you, like where you live and your boating experience. Click on your name, then select EDIT.

I doubt the 2452 would have an Alaskan bulkhead as the wheelhouse isn't designed for it, ...where the 2459 is.

I also like the 1994 24' Express Cruiser, but it too can't have an Alaskan bulkhead.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

You are looking for a unicorn! I know what you mean about the tugs, those are perfect little mini trawlers with diesel inboards, but they are at about 150 grand for the 26 footers.

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/bod/6044589052.html

This one isn't as heavy as normal 28 footers, since it only has a tiny four banger. I believe my 2859 is about 4000 more pounds than this. But, I've read about these that they don't handle very well as a trawler since they don't have a keel nor a trawler hull.

https://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/6084296758.html
      Esteban
      Huntington Beach, California
      2018 Element 16
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

This may not help you but the older Bays with the bolt on swim platform and bow pulpit do not include these items in the length. Thus, a 24' boat is the same useable living as a newer 26' boat.

Good luck with your search.

Doug
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I know it's a fly bridge but the 2556 has everything you've described plus a massive amount of cockpit space without the doghouse in the way. Don't have to use the upper helm :whistle:
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

You are looking for a 1985 - 1990ish 2459. Most came with hard tops, some came with Alaska bulkheads that converted the space under the HT to it's own cabin, resulting in a wonderfully livable boat.

[img]http://images.boats.com/photos/131/1/7/0/131170200573153143_102_u2.jpg[/mig]

The are most common in the 1988 and 1989 model years.
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Maybe look at the 246. No Alaska bulkhead but lots of usable space.
              2007 Discovery 246
              300mpi BIII
              Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

"CptCrunchie" post=802984 wrote:
                It would help to better assist you if you filled in your profile so we know a little more about you, like where you live and your boating experience. Click on your name, then select EDIT.
                when I signed up for the BOC account, i filled in a reasonable amount of my profile information, and hit the save button... but it isnt there now. AND, I have tried to fill it out again after reading your suggestion that I do so... it wont take my information. im not sure whats going on or why but I would fill it out if I could.

and I think its rather silly that I should have to fill out the verification code at the bottom of the page every time i post or reply to a post... maybe something went wrong in the account setup process and although I have access, im not recognized as a member?

NU LIBERTE'
                Salem, OR

Comment

"Centerline2" post=803118 wrote:
                  "CptCrunchie" post=802984 wrote:
                  when I signed up for the BOC account, i filled in a reasonable amount of my profile information, and hit the save button... but it isnt there now. AND, I have tried to fill it out again after reading your suggestion that I do so... it wont take my information. im not sure whats going on or why but I would fill it out if I could.

and I think its rather silly that I should have to fill out the verification code at the bottom of the page every time i post or reply to a post... maybe something went wrong in the account setup process and although I have access, im not recognized as a member?
                  Hmmm Thats news to me..maybe for new members only?? :dry: ..there has been some changes since I became a member. Have you narrowed down your search any?
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

[quote]"builderdude" post=803126 wrote:
                    Have you narrowed down your search any?
                    the 2452 and the 2556 are the only two in the running at this time.... the 2459 seems like it doesnt have as much room inside, and no standing headroom in the "cuddy", but I will have to check one out in person to know for sure.

NU LIBERTE'
                    Salem, OR

Comment

[quote]"builderdude" post=803126 wrote:
                      Have you narrowed down your search any?
                      the 2452 and the 2556 are the only 2 so far that seem to fit...

does anyone know what the difference is between the 2556 and the 2560 models?

NU LIBERTE'
                      Salem, OR

Comment

"builderdude" post=803126 wrote:
                        [/quote]

Hmmm Thats news to me..maybe for new members only?? :dry: ..there has been some changes since I became a member. Have you narrowed down your search any?[/quote]

does anyone know what the difference is between the 2556 and the 2560 models?

NU LIBERTE'
                        Salem, OR

Comment

2556 & 2560 are basically the same boat.

http://bayliner.com/wp-content/uploa...Spec-Sheet.pdf

http://bayliner.com/wp-content/uploa...Spec-Sheet.pdf
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

Check Craigslist in the Seattle section. There was a 2270 Explorer in Belfair and a 2670 Explorer I believe in Anacortes.

Comment

"Centerline2" post=803133 wrote:
                              "builderdude" post=803126 wrote:
                              Hmmm Thats news to me..maybe for new members only?? :dry: ..there has been some changes since I became a member. Have you narrowed down your search any?[/quote]

does anyone know what the difference is between the 2556 and the 2560 models?[/quote]

There are no differences. They just re-colored the hull and re-named it. They switched from VP to OMC power in 1987, and then to Merc power in 1990, going through to around 1994 I believe.

THe lower station was an option in the earliest models, but became standard around 1987.

My preference would be either a 1986 VP boat, or a 1990+ Merc boat.
                              Matt Train
                              BOC Site Team
                              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
                              X