Boat Repair Practices-gctid802423

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Repair Practices-gctid802423

Is it standard practice for marinas to continue charging the slip fee and utilities charge when your boat is undergoing major maintenance (repowering)?

Yes
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

"Ted King" post=802423 wrote:
      Is it standard practice for marinas to continue charging the slip fee and utilities charge when your boat is undergoing major maintenance (repowering)?
      Depends on where you are getting the work done. When I have put any of our berthed boat into our marinas dry dock, we are only charged for the (much more expensive) dry dock. They write off the slip fee, but only for the time we are dry-docked.
      "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
      MMSI: 367637220
      HAM: KE7TTR
      TDI tech diver
      BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
      Kevin

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=802428 wrote:
        Yes
        +1
        1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
        S. Puget Sound

Comment

I have sublet my slip in the past. In the Port of Everett, WA lease agreement is a condition the the slip is to be "occupied" 180 days a year.

I challenged that when I found out about it as limiting how often I could use my boat. After it was elevated a couple of times I was told it was there to prevent people from just renting a slip with no boat to occupy it denying a boat owner a place to moor. Okay, that's logical. Then she went on to tell me they added language to prevent boat owners from extending their boat using temporary structures. There was a guy in a 40' covered slip with a 24' boat and a 2x4 clamped and tied on to lengthen the boat so it "filled" the slip. :blink:
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

In Seward AK our slips are permanent assigned, but when we haul out the harbor has the option to rent it out at a daily fee, which is very high.

They usually do not do this unless you are dry docked for a long term, but they can for a boat that needs power for a short term.

nothing is kicked back to us slip holders, but it should.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

For comparison outside the USA, slips at the D-Marin marina in South West Turkey (Turgutreis) are "semi-permanent"! This means as long as we make daily trips our slips are reserved for us. If we make overnight trips, we inform the marina so they can keep the slips reserved for their owners except if there is a transient boat and all other slips are occupied. When I leave the marina I let them know when I shall return. This enables them to keep, preferably my own slip or in the worst case another slip available for me until my own slip becomes available again. In all of my 7 years of staying at this marina I have never heard of any boat not being able to come back to its designated slip. Owners can NOT sublet their slips. Marina carries their own insurance and every boat boat must have its own, valid, insurance (to be submitted to the marina office) to be able to stay at the marina. Entry/exit to the marina is always monitored, even if the captain fails to announce its departure/entry. Captains may request joker-boat assistance (free/optional) when they leave but a joker-boat will meet and help (free) all boats coming in and assist them to dock at their designated slip.

Happy boating
              Retired, computer expert / executive
              Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
              Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
              D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
              [email protected]
              [email protected]

Comment

marinas sometimes discount haul out if you have a slip there.But if there's a list of people wanting a slip,you will recieve no mercy on any services.Also depends on time of year.During slow times at the marina i would have work done on my boat.Saved money that way.

Comment

Working...
                X