No announcement yet.

Water leak Bayliner 3288 1991-gctid802074

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water leak Bayliner 3288 1991-gctid802074

Hi there, recently purchased a 1991 3288. I have found 2 small water leaks. One is by the rear door to the salon starboard side, small drip. The weirdest one is in the forward berth, right around the storage locker.The storage locker looks fine from outside. I did not notice any leaks before purchasing but noticed that they had a small tarp covering the windlass. The weird part is it seems dry around the chain locker and if the leak was caused by the windlass then I would expect it to be wet there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You might have to peel off the monkey fur to find the actual source. Had the same problem and it turned out to be the foot switch.

Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Salon leak inside or out? Regardless, probably the caulking under the drip molding needs re-doing. Lots of info on this site from others doing the same thing, use 3M 4200 or butyl tape - both seem to work.

Forward leak probably the drain hose from the exterior anchor locker. Make sure you drain the locker manually before you pull the hose off below (don't ask me how I know this) - remove the fitting from the deck locker, clean it (and the area( with rubbing alcohol , re-bed the fitting in 4200 but don't tighten the under-nut down fully for at least 48 hrs - then only snug it another 1/4 turn - if that. This will allow you to add some "compression sealing" and the caulking will function as a gasket as well as a sealant.
      1989 Bayliner 3270
      135hp (stock) -> 150hp (Injector pump mod) -> 170 hp (aftercoolers) Hino's
      MMSI 316 021 107
      Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
      Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
      Rear Commodore BYC

Welcome to the forum!!

+1 to the above.

Rebedding of things such as the windlass should be done once in a while anyway, and are the sources of many leaks, many of which go un-noticed until you find your foredeck soft and rotten.
        1987 3818 Hino 175
        "Knotty Girl"
        Prince Rupert B.C.