Chesapeake Bay marinas . . . too many questions, bad contracts?-gctid801933

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chesapeake Bay marinas . . . too many questions, bad contracts?-gctid801933

Yep, me again . . . . we're getting closer to closing on the 1998 Avanti 3685 but haven't had the survey done yet nor any sea trial . . . in the meantime - we're looking for a nice marina to call "home" for the season. We're looking around the Middle River area (very close to Baltimore) because it's about as close as you can get to our home in PA for a quick trip down to enjoy the weekend and a quick trip back up to get ready for the work week but we will look elsewhere (further North, preferably) if something really catches our eye.

Ok, so why the posting? We like this one particular marina and he sent us the seasonal contract (oh heck, it's $2,160/yr . . . wasn't going to quote $$$ but, oh well . . .). So, what's the problem? The fine print. . . . got my magnifying glass out to read (literally) and got the shock of my life. Essentially, the marina isn't responsible for anything and can't be held liable for anything either. . . . and they can (quote) "re-assign the slip and move your boat during the term of this lease in the event of any of the following: any reason the Marina deems necessary, emergency repairs to the dock or slip, including but not limited to water and electric." (unquote) . . . REALLY?? That's scary, IMHO. Insurance is normal with one exception - the Marina must be named as an additional insured (liability $500,000 minimum - which I understand is standard nowadays . . . but as an additional insured?) All risks are assumed by the boat owner, the marina is responsible for nothing . . . "shall be at their own risk" . . . "neither the Marina nor any employees, etc., shall be liable for any loss, damage, or injury to the person or property. . . ."

Ok, is this normal? I can't believe the wording. I mean, I understand that they have to cover themselves in case of liability issues, etc. but to claim that nothing (including theft, damage to anything) would be their fault is ludicrous. What would encourage them to keep the docks in good shape? There is also a lien that is supposed to be created to cover dockage, labor, material or other service provided by the marina to the vessel . . . . I am simply aghast at the whole contract. Am I alone in this? or is this standard fare? :S
    1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
    Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
    WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
    James H. Stradling

What marina are you trying for? I currently keep my boat at the Chesapeake Yachting center in Frog Mortar Creek just off Middle River. I don't remember what my contract says but I have been there over 10yrs and have been pleased with it. The employees have been very helpful and while not super fancy the pool and hot tub are nice to hang out at when the wind is a bit too much to go boating in.

Comment

James,

That's pretty standard language in most slip leases that I've seen. Have you considered staying right in Baltimore Harbor? We,re at Anchorage and love the location.

John
      John Rupp
      1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
      5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
      Starshine
      Hino 135

Comment

"johnrupp" post=801958 wrote:

That's pretty standard language in most slip leases that I've seen.
        I agree. The contracts I have signed for a slip all state the same in one way or another.
        1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
        S. Puget Sound

Comment

Yup, that sounds like the standard legal language. They are not responsible for anything...

And if it makes you feel any better, I pay $4,200 for a year at my slip for a 32xx.
          Esteban
          Huntington Beach, California
          2018 Element 16
          Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
          Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

"Papa Bear" post=801942 wrote:
            What marina are you trying for? I currently keep my boat at the Chesapeake Yachting center in Frog Mortar Creek just off Middle River. I don't remember what my contract says but I have been there over 10yrs and have been pleased with it. The employees have been very helpful and while not super fancy the pool and hot tub are nice to hang out at when the wind is a bit too much to go boating in.
            Hey Dave - yeah, I've visited with the "Franks" a couple of times. The last time they said they had a slip for me but it was over on the fuel dock section real close to where the pumps are located. Admiral said "no way" (I toned it down some . . :whistle: ) so we're looking at the Middle River Landing Marina. I liked their place too (CYC) but trying to enjoy things on a busy dock aren't my idea of a restful time. I've sent them an email and asked if there was another slip where I could fit but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks one and all for your comments on the contract language. First time for a big boat like this so I was skeptical . . . . appreciate your opinions (bet that's the first time you've ever heard that!!) :woohoo:
            1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
            Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
            WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
            James H. Stradling

Comment

Not a slip, but also you can find that verbiage in an indoor storage contract as well. My facility is only responsible to cover my deductible in any issue that they are liable for. Makes you want to start your own marina or storage facility....(big 'ol pole barn somewhere with racks for boat storage, on old towmotor forklift, some lights and water...)

Good luck on your quest for finding a new home!
              Lake Hartwell, GA
              2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
              1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
              1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
              1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
              1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
              1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
              1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
              1996 SeaDoo GTX
              1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Working...