2858 Ciera Command Bridge vs 3058 Ciera Command Bridge-gctid801829

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2858 Ciera Command Bridge vs 3058 Ciera Command Bridge-gctid801829

My boat partner and I just had a 1988 pristine 24' bayliner trophy unceremoniously sink. It is a total loss and we're looking for a new boat.

We came across the 2858 later models after the Contessa and were pretty impressed with it. Our search then brought us to the 3058. It appears there was a great difference between a 91 and 92 models of the 3058 in the 1993 model. Also it appears that those are the only three years for 3058 so were wondering if there are problems with this boat either the 91-92 series or the 93 series. Any background on that would be very helpful. Also there were some changes in the 2858 in 1989 to 1996 models.

We would really any feedback from anyone who has owned or had experience with either of these two models. Thanks in advance for your help

Not sure about the 3058 other than it's two feet longer and has twin power. The 2858 was changed in 96 with a added radar arch and built in bow pulpit. The upper command bridge was also changed the helm was moved from port to starboard. I think sometime around 2000 the only engine available is the 5.7 with the B3. There were also some minor interior upgrades such as no more monkey fur head liner and all the cabinets were changed from white to wood grain laminate. A larger refrigerator was used. The nice thing about 2858 is its a single engine vs the 3058 has 2 meaning double maint cost's and more weight. I'm sure the 3058 has a lot more interior room though. On 96 and newer 2858 the cabin entry door is a slider with a screen vs a swing open door.
    1988 Mainship 36 Sedan
    1995 2858
    1988 2655
    1987 2150
    Commercial/Industrial HVAC Service Tech.

Comment

Another option is the 3258 I've seen mid 90's models up here in MN listed for as low as 25k.
      1988 Mainship 36 Sedan
      1995 2858
      1988 2655
      1987 2150
      Commercial/Industrial HVAC Service Tech.

Comment

Welcome to the the forum!!

The 3058 is a much larger boat than the 28.

Joon ( Ruffryder) will chime in , he has a 3058. The twin engines are a plus. The single engined 28s are under powered in my opinion. I also like having the twins for the sense of security, and ease of docking.
        Joel
        1987 3818 Hino 175
        "Knotty Girl"
        Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

I have a '96 2858, but it's my first big boat and I've only owned it for 1/2 a season. I love it, still getting used to owning a boat this size (my previous experience was limited to smaller ski boats under 20'. My only complaint thus far, and something I wish I had paid more attention to at purchase, was the state of the steering.... very stiff using the factory power assist... definitely seriously degraded since new. So my only advice before purchase of an older one would be to make sure you're happy with the steering, or make sure it's been upgraded to hydraulic.

Sorry I can't offer more... but if you have any specific questions about the '96 2858 I might be able to answer or provide pics.
          Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
          Tsawwassen, BC
          1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
          Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
          "Island Passport"
          Home marina: Point Roberts, WA

Comment

"Jimboflyguy" post=801829 wrote:
            My boat partner and I just had a 1988 pristine 24' bayliner trophy unceremoniously sink.
            By the way, a statement like this definitely begs the question... how?? Or am I breaking some rule of etiquette by asking... as I said, I'm new to this world ops:
            Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
            Tsawwassen, BC
            1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
            Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
            "Island Passport"
            Home marina: Point Roberts, WA

Comment

My thought was that before you buy anything you had better get an insurance quote on it. I don't know your history or what happened but the insurance might price you out of the market!
              Ernie
              1986 3270
              Volvo 305s

MMSI 338130047
              Lake Michigan

Comment

Surprised Ruffryder hasn't responded, he'll have some good things to say about the 93 3058. Maybe send him a pm he's very helpfull guy
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Both are very nice boats!

We all know what a big difference 2' can make in a boat .

Big difference between a 2858 and a 3058, day and night difference between a 91~92 3058 and a 93 3058.

93 3058 was a totally different boat in many ways from their predecessor.

When I stole my 3058, we knew exactly what we wanted...flybridge, twin engine for the same reason what Joel mentioned above, galley up, bigger head, forward head meaning 360degree rear view window....

You will need to know what your priorities are, knowing exactly what you want then happy hunting.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Jt...0bridge&f=true

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...8?limitstart=0
                  Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                  Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                  93 3058 sold
                  92 2855 (day boat)
                  91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

Well everyone was pretty much at a loss as to why the boat sank. The boat was very well looked after and serviced and we never had a problem with it. My boat partner checked it started the engines two days prior and there was no problems. At 1 o'clock on the day that it sank Head of our marina what by the boat and saw nothing out of the ordinary. At 3 o'clock someone made a comment but that boat appears to be listing a bit. At 4:30 the boat was fully submersed. On examination one exhaust hose on the port side of the engine evidently failed and allowed water in. It was really a head scratcher.

Comment

Thank you all for the great inputs.You all have been very helpful. We both agree that the 3058 is a lot more boat then the 2858. We found a very nice 1991 3058 that the owner of 16 years of selling. My first question to him was how does this do coming out of the hole and getting up on plane and he said when he first got the boat it was quite frankly terrible even though it does have the 7.4 330 hp big block engine. He started looking into it and trying different props ending up with a 19 inch 19┬░ pitch prop and since then the boat has been great. I was a little surprised at the fuel consumption being about 24 gallons an hour at cruise. This is a bit of a shock from are 8 gallon per hour 5.7 L engine on our 24 foot trophy. Does anybody have an idea of the fuel burn on the 93 twin-engine models? Since we're going to have to go with a 35 or 40 foot slip to moor the boat we're also considering looking at the 32 foot bay liners which would give us an extra foot of width as well as an additional 2 feet of length. Any comments about that would also be appreciated.

Comment

I'm coming to this discussion late. I have an '07 288 command bridge with 5.7L. We burn about 15 gallons/hour at 25mph with boat loaded (including dinghy and 4hp motor tilted up on swim step). You're not going to waterski behind her, but we get up on plane relatively easily. All that said, I don't think you can ever have too much horsepower and I agree the 288 with a 5.7L is underpowered. It really doesn't like a downwind run in waves and is pretty sensitive to any amount of significant wind on the bow. You've really got to play with the trim tabs to get max performance. Props are also important. I swapped to SOLAS 4 blade front and three blade rear with same 22" pitch as stock mercruisers. Unbelievable improvement in low speed manouverabilty. Give up some top end rpm, but still 28mph into wind at 4,200.
                        2007 288 Discovery Command Bridge
                        Tacoma, WA

Comment

It must have twin 7.4s.

When dealing with boats larger than 26-28 feet, they never really "come out of the hole". Fuel economy? Close your eyes at the pump.

Even with our diesels, if we are running hard up on plane, we are burning some serious amounts of fuel.

If you want to run at hull speed 8 knots or less, fuel is not so much of an issue.
                          Joel
                          1987 3818 Hino 175
                          "Knotty Girl"
                          Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

The 1991 3058 is a really different boat to the 1993 version that Ruffryder posted.

Waay Back, we owned a 1992 3058 (the factory called in a 30 Motoryacht) with twin 305's and Alpha Sterndrives.

That boat took us everywhere, and for sleeping, we always used the aft cabin below the sole plate, leaving the v-berth tidy and uncluttered. There's lots of space for a boat of it's length and beam, and I have no qualms about it's usability.

Even though the rear panel in the aft bedroom could be removed, engine access was incredibly tight with a combination of a pair of V8's stuffed into a small space, and a small engine hatch. There were times when I wished I could meet the designer and introduce him to my baseball bat!

Good luck with the deal.

Rob
                            Bayliner 5788
                            'Merlin V'
                            Vancouver BC

Comment

The 2858 Ciera Command Bridge had a couple of iterations. The 1986 through 1989 boats were quite a bit larger than the later 2858s. They were actually 32' overall and close in size to the first 3058s. Some of these came with twin engines, but the majority had one engine.

My wife and I owned a 1989, 2858 Ciera Command Bridge for 7 years and we loved it. Ours had a single Ford 460 engine and we definitely did not feel that it was underpowered; we could cruise at 20 knots all day. It was also nice to have extra space in the engine compartment, and the maintenance costs were less.
                              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X