No announcement yet.

1989 - 2459 Trophy - mid-ship, port side scupper is leaking, again!-gctid801777

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 - 2459 Trophy - mid-ship, port side scupper is leaking, again!-gctid801777

The scupper associated with the live well leaks. The lower, carpeted, sleeping berth gets quite damp. I have had this particular scupper replaced twice in the last 7 years.

The sleeping berth is just used as a storage area and the live well is just used for spare downrigger ball storage. I am considering eliminating the scupper. What would be the best method to plug this? Since no water ever needs to drain from the live well, I'm thinking, just plug it. Note: When at rest in our slip the boat leans to the port side due to our kicker and storage items. This causes the scupper to be slightly immersed sometimes.

Should I just install a better scupper? I prefer to just plug it.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

"Blackdog" post=801777 wrote:
    The scupper associated with the live well leaks. The lower, carpeted, sleeping berth gets quite damp. I have had this particular scupper replaced twice in the last 7 years.

The sleeping berth is just used as a storage area and the live well is just used for spare downrigger ball storage. I am considering eliminating the scupper. What would be the best method to plug this? Since no water ever needs to drain from the live well, I'm thinking, just plug it. Note: When at rest in our slip the boat leans to the port side due to our kicker and storage items. This causes the scupper to be slightly immersed sometimes.

Should I just install a better scupper? I prefer to just plug it.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!
    First, welcome to BOC. Second, please fill our your profile so we will know a little more about you. (Click on your name and click edit.) Where are you? What are your skills? A photo of the problem area is always welcome.

How much lead weight are you storing in there? I have that exact model and year. I believe you are referring to the thru-hull. If you are using the live well - the one under the aft facing seat, if that is your configuration - for storage of heavy lead balls that can roll around and smack the sides, I am not at all surprised you have a leak. My live well has about a 5-6 gallon capacity. When being used as a live well, that 6 gallons equates to 48lbs, and that weight is spread over the entire surface the well. That's a lot different than 4 - 12lb lead balls rolling around. Since the drain is on the bottom, that means the entire well is only being supported by its sides.

[attachment]34931 wrote:
    BonDCPassSeat.jpg[/attachment]

As to the sleeping area being wet, you most likely have a leak somewhere in either your hatch or one of the other holes - like railing bolts - in your foredeck. I would first check to make sure your forward bilge pump is working, even though the cabin floor has no drain. Do you have any mold in the cabin?

I doubt it is your live well, because I'm pretty sure it drains into your aft bilge, and there is a bulkhead between the bilges. You may have a crack in the drain line, the thru-hull (which is unlikely), or a serious crack in the fiberglass well itself.

Keep my downrigger balls in a carrier under the counter beside the sink. Between that and that I have a 15hp kicker the port side, my boat sits perfectly level on the water.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

Thanks for the comments. To clarify a bit. The spare balls are in containers to negate rolling around. I will remove them and relocate to the starboard side as I agree with your thinking regarding stress to the live well structure and rebalancing of the boat.

No mold in boat. Hatch does not leak (one of the first things I replaced upon purchase).

The live well is never used for its purpose and has never held water since I have owned it. The damp carpet is caused by lake water, I am pretty sure(since its can get wet despite 2 straight weeks of sunshine and no rain).

I assume the seal in the scupper at the thru-hull is the problem. Since no water needs to drain from the well, why have a needless hole in my boat?

The boat is still in storage and wrapped. I expect to get access this week. Hence the lack of pics, but here is an old one from the year It bought it in 2010. You can see the offending scupper.

Thanks again!

Attached files

Comment

"Blackdog" post=801882 wrote:
        No mold in boat. Hatch does not leak (one of the first things I replaced upon purchase).
        Funny. I did that too, first thing.

The live well is never used for its purpose and has never held water since I have owned it. The damp carpet is caused by lake water, I am pretty sure(since its can get wet despite 2 straight weeks of sunshine and no rain).
        Maybe someone else can chime in here, because your cabin floor is solid with no drain, there is no way other than a leaking deck, even if your forward bilge was swamped. I am, however, concerned about how low the stern of your boat is sitting in the water, that there is more than the lead balls in the live well. (Though, I would still move them.)

Here's yours.

[attachment]34963 wrote:
        oldboatpic,beforeupgrades.jpg[/attachment]

Here's mine with - from what you suggest - the same basic gear onboard; I have also taken the mattresses out and am using the cabin to store fishing gear.

[attachment]34964 wrote:
        BonDCAfloat.jpg[/attachment]

Just from the photos, your bow looks a lot higher than mine, and the port quarter is about 4" lower. In fact, I weigh just under 300lbs, and that's what my boat looks like when I stand right in the very corner by the kicker. To me, there seems to be more than the downrigger balls at issue.

Anyone else see that, or am I seeing things?

I assume the seal in the scupper at the thru-hull is the problem. Since no water needs to drain from the well, why have a needless hole in my boat?
        Your choice, but I somehow doubt that is the problem, especially your wet berth and cabin floor. For that to happen, your forward bilge would have to overflow, and from the angle of your boat, your bow is too high for that to be it. Besides, if that 'scupper' leaked, it would drain into the aft bilge. Do you know if your aft bilge pump is in constant use? That could explain some of the angle.

You can see the offending scupper.
        Yes, but I doubt it is the problem. Again, whenever you can get one, a photo of your foredeck including the bow would help.
        "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
        MMSI: 367637220
        HAM: KE7TTR
        TDI tech diver
        BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
        Kevin

Comment

Working...
        X