Dustless Blasting and Bottom Paint-gctid801454

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dustless Blasting and Bottom Paint-gctid801454

After much deliberation and some trial and error trying to prep the bottom for another coat of paint I decided it was best to remove all the existing paint and start with a clean slate. Mainly due to two decent size patches I found after power washing the bottom and so I want to make sure no other repairs are needed. As the dustless blaster guy is working as I write this I have very high hopes when he is finished I will be just about ready to get to work painting.

I plan to put three coats of Pettit Protect (Gray/white/gray) and then two coats of TotalBoat Krypton (Blue/Black). I suspect I could get away with just a single primer coat of the Pettit Protect but after seeing the work that goes into prepping the bottom I feel this extra protection is worth the time and money. Hopefully next year I can just brush off the bottom and put another coat of bottom paint.

Oh yeah, I am using trailer mounted boat jacks to get the boat off the bunks and they work great! I will post some pics with results in the next few days.

I may well have the bottom on my 3870 water/abrasive (nut shells) blasted this spring, it leaves the bottom down to just gel coat.

Quoted $600 for my 3870, has not had a bare gel coat bottom for 14 years.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Took about 3 hours for the blaster to remove 99% of the bottom paint. There were a few spots along the water line I will sand by hand to make sure I don't mess up the gelcoat above the waterline. As expected the process also uncovered several spots that need repair. I don't see any blistering just chips and dings that should be easily repaired with some West System epoxy before I apply the Pettit primer and subsequent ablative paint. He was even able to do the trim tabs for me so I should be able to get a good coat of ablative on them as well this year.

Comment

Some pics after the dustless blaster finished. Some spots to sand and repair then on to epoxy primer and paint!

Comment

Three hours? Where do I sign up? That's impressive.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

We can no longer remove or apply bottom paint (DIY) unless one possesses a "Marine Pesticide Applicator's License". No joke. SO how does the yard's licensed guy apply it? With a conventional spray gun pressure pot setup. About a third of the expensive paint is blown into the air where the wind carries it into a housing area! And it is supposed to be a "green" marina / boat yard. They can spray away, but I am not allowed to apply by roller and brush. I am going to look into how difficult and costly it is to get the needed license. That's Califoregon for you.

Greg
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina
            1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

"Mr. Darcy" post=801484 wrote:
              We can no longer remove or apply bottom paint (DIY) unless one possesses a "Marine Pesticide Applicator's License". No joke. SO how does the yard's licensed guy apply it? With a conventional spray gun pressure pot setup. About a third of the expensive paint is blown into the air where the wind carries it into a housing area! And it is supposed to be a "green" marina / boat yard. They can spray away, but I am not allowed to apply by roller and brush. I am going to look into how difficult and costly it is to get the needed license. That's Califoregon for you.

Greg
              It's not about better magical procedures licensed "professionals" use. It's about more taxes and fees for the gov and the yard.
              Esteban
              Huntington Beach, California
              2018 Element 16
              Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
              Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

"Pcpete" post=801480 wrote:
                Three hours? Where do I sign up? That's impressive.
                Yep, although he probably should have spent another half hour waiting for it to dry and hit the few spots he missed. I just spent an hour under the port side sanding a few spots he couldn't or didn't get and suspect another hour on the starboard side will be needed. BUT I still think it beats sanding the entire bottom and when he left, he rolled up the plastic tarp and took about 90% of the mess with him!

It cost me $35 per foot at 25 feet plus taxes, so just over $900 to have it done. Also important to note, this left the bottom with about 80 grit roughness which is perfect for me cause I am putting on an epoxy primer before I apply bottom paint.

As far as having it done at a yard or by a yard, I don't know what that would cost or entail or what regulations must be followed. And hopefully I will be able to stay on top of my annual bottom paint maintenance moving forward so it will be some time before I need to strip it down bare again.

This is the company that makes the blaster:

http://www.dustlessblasting.com/

And this is the company that used their equipment to do my boat in my driveway:

https://www.facebook.com/South-Jerse...1216878236600/

Comment

i did the same think

now im ready for a pettit protect

but im confused about what roller to use

which u going to use or which one did u used ?

pettit advice to use microfiber roller some ppl said foam some said no foam

so which one ??

Comment

I ordered from Jamestown Distributors and they shipped a couple rollers with the epoxy and paint. I also bought a few myself but I don't remember what they were, I may have an extra one out in the garage I can check for ya.

I wouldn't go super cheap on a roller but I also wouldn't go with the most expensive as they are only good for a single application and in reality I used 2 rollers per coat on my 25' hull. I put three coats of primer and 2 coats of bottom paint and went through 10 rollers and just as many brushes.

I used the Pettit protect primer system which seems like a very good product, time will tell.

I also used TotalBoat Krypton from Jamestown distributors for my bottom paint and while it is still early in the season it is holding up great, was easy to apply and looks nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X