War of 1812-gctid347599

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War of 1812-gctid347599

For those of you in the Baltimore / Annapolis area. There will be a bicentennial celebration of the War of 1812. A lot of cool ships. Try to stay away from a week end if possible, it will be packed.

http://starspangledbaltimore.com/sta...-sailabration/
    Gregg
    2006 225 BR
    XT Package
    5.0 MPI
    Alpha I Gen II
    39.41130 N
    76.35131W

That looks like a good time. Jan and I will keep it in mind when we start planing our summer. Thanks for the link.

Comment

2012 and 2013 will see a lot of celebrations in the Islands area where the Battle of Lake Erie was fought by Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry who dispatched "We have met the enemy an they are ours."

Comment

Should have been in Detroit when the war of 1812 was declared. The Canadian's from Amherstberg, Canada tried to invade Detroit, but they took one look and ran back across the river. :hammer

Comment

Jarhead wrote:
          2012 and 2013 will see a lot of celebrations in the Islands area where the Battle of Lake Erie was fought by Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry who dispatched "We have met the enemy an they are ours."
          I thought it was Pogo who said that.

Comment

There is a red, white, and blue buoy where Francis Scott Key was to be held on a British ship. This is the location where he was to write what is now the National Anthem. The marker is located just north of the Key bridge on the the Baltimore County side of the Patapsco River.

It is kind of cool to see how far away Fort McHenry is away the marker.
            Gregg
            2006 225 BR
            XT Package
            5.0 MPI
            Alpha I Gen II
            39.41130 N
            76.35131W

Comment

Hey Bigboat

You should check your history book. In August of 1812, 700 Canadian troops led by General Brock and 700 Natives lead by Chief Tecumseh, crossed the river into Detroit. General Hull surrendered his 2500 troops that day. Later on Hull was court martialled and sentenced to death. If memory serves me right, your Pres. Madison pardoned him. Glad we are all friends now.
              Bill and Janice
              Chatham, Ontario, Canada
              1988 2455 Ciera

Comment

Working...
              X