Collision-gctid396768

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collision-gctid396768

So I moored my 2855 at The Causeway marina in Victoria's inner harbor for the Canada Day weekend. This morning, as I was out for breakfast, the boat moored behind me (a 47 foot Carver), accelerated forward and struck my dinghy, which was attached to the stern of my boat. The dinghy was down at the time, but secured on the davits. A friend who was on the boat told me what happened. I inspected for damage and found nothing obvious. The owner of the Carver came around and told me his granddaughter had played with the controls, leaving the boat in forward and throttle advanced. When he started his boat (which can apparently start when not in neutral), the boat accelerated forward into mine. I told him that all seemed okay, we shook hands, and I said that's boating.On the way back to my home marina later that day, all was well until we accelerated to planing speed. About 15 minutes after, I noticed water being sprayed into the back of my boat. The rub rail on the starboard side corner of the swim platform had detached and elongated and was dragging in the water. See photos. I backed off the throttle and did planing speed the rest of the way to my marina, keeping the rubrail out of the water. It's a very curious bit of damage. There is also bulging of the rub rail on the port corner of the swim platform. I figure he hit my boat with enough force to make the swim platform flex, popping the rub rail off the corners of the swim platform.Fortunately, he was still at the Causeway. I went back by car, and I made him aware of the situation, showed him photos, and even took him to my marina so he could personally see the damage. It is now in the hands of the insurance people. Any thoughts? Anything I should be looking out for? Should I insist on a haulout and a thorough inspection of the stern?

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700440=29348-2012-07-02 14.11.50.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700440=29349-2012-07-02 14.12.35.jpg[/img]

Really? That looks like the rubrail is just popped out of the taco molding. You can tap it back in with a hammer.
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

If it were only that simple. We tried tapping, tugging, pushing, and pulling. The rub rail is literally 5-6 inches longer than it used to be. It was stretched out when it was dragging in the water. Same on the other side.

Comment

And the more concerning question for me is what other damage I should be looking for.

Comment

let it go very minor ..

Comment

Foggetabouteeet

That is what the rub rail is for.

Comment

Unless there is structure damage I think this will fall below your deductable.
              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
              1998 3055 Ciera
              (yes, a 1998)
              Previous boat: 1993 3055
              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
              Sea Doo XP
              Sea Doo GTI SE
              Life is short. Boats are cool.
              The family that plays together stays together.
              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I understand your worries. I would think if you had strucural damage to the transom the swim platform would have been destroyed. Its normal to end up with buldges in the rub rail when it gets pulled in the middle. I would find one end & pull the rub rail lose to the last pull out spot & start reinstalling it. its a pain :livid: just grin & bare it.

Comment

Forget about it and enjoy the summer. You may have to trim of excess after you put the rub rail back in.

Comment

larryinvic wrote:
                    Should I insist on a haulout and a thorough inspection of the stern?
                    That's a hard call to make, without seeing more of the original boat positions, impact area, etc.

It is possible that you're going to find the swim platform was pushed in at the centre, elastically deforming it. This would have stretched the rub strip. If this is the case, there will be extensive damage to the 'glass that will show from underneath.

Or it could be simply that the dinghy pushed hard on the strip, stretching it, and a good hot day will allow you tap it back in.

Can you get you head under the platform for a peak?

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I do hope its a simple fix. But I think whiskywizard hit the nail on the head. The Carver hit the dinghy, force was transferred to the dinghy davits bolted to the top of the swim platform, the swim platform flexed enough to pop out the rub rail. My concern is that it must take a lot of force to make that happen. It's for sure not something you see everyday. Will be going over it with the adjuster within the next couple days and will put on the wetsuit to have a look underneath. Will keep you all posted.

Comment

DO NOT cut and/or shorten it! :thumb The rubber will shrink over time as it is.

Try pouring hot water over it, and soften it up a bit before you try to re-insert it.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                          DO NOT cut and/or shorten it! :thumb The rubber will shrink over time as it is.

Try pouring hot water over it, and soften it up a bit before you try to re-insert it.

Yep - Do Not Cut It. It will shrink back in faster than a boy on his first date!

Comment

larryinvic wrote:
                            The owner of the Carver came around and told me his granddaughter had played with the controls, leaving the boat in forward and throttle advanced. When he started his boat (which can apparently start when not in neutral), the boat accelerated forward into mine.
                            Nice story Grampa - throw the kid under the bus!

I don't believe him for a second. Bet he was one of those who suffered unintended acceleration in his Audi 5000 too.

Comment

Yeah, it occurred to me that maybe the kid had nothing to do with it. I feel bad for the guy though. Kind of taints his whole weekend. He's one of those old salts who's been boating forever. He's owned his Carver for 10 years and often single hands it. I think he was really disheartened by the whole thing. He told me that he thinks he might get out of boating next year. I really hope that's not just because of this episode. As far as I'm concerned, occasionally unintentionally bumping into things is part of boating.

Comment

Working...
                              X