First tubing adventure with the new boat-gctid396739

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First tubing adventure with the new boat-gctid396739

With my new Bayliner 170 OB went to a local river and took some family tubing for the first time. It was great! I normally boat in the ICW near Cape Carteret in NC and I am always watching the water depth. I went to the New River at Camp Lejeune and could really air it out. The youngsters were strong and I couldn't dump them but I sure wore them out! Also learned a good lesson about keeping the passengers properly placed in the boat. At one point I couldn't get the boat on plane and then remembered that my bow passenger was now in the water with the two young men in the back. Made the back end heavy. Once one of the boys went to the bow we popped on plane in a zip. Lovely day and exactly why I bought the boat.nthego:

Nice! Do you have the ski pylon, or did you tie to your rear tie-down cleats?

newboat wrote:
    With my new Bayliner 170 OB went to a local river and took some family tubing for the first time. It was great! I normally boat in the ICW near Cape Carteret in NC and I am always watching the water depth. I went to the New River at Camp Lejeune and could really air it out. The youngsters were strong and I couldn't dump them but I sure wore them out! Also learned a good lesson about keeping the passengers properly placed in the boat. At one point I couldn't get the boat on plane and then remembered that my bow passenger was now in the water with the two young men in the back. Made the back end heavy. Once one of the boys went to the bow we popped on plane in a zip. Lovely day and exactly why I bought the boat.nthego:

Comment

I have a ski pylon but I do not use it for tubing. There is a warning on the pylon not to use it for tubing because the stress on the pole can damage the boat. They worry about the stress caused on the rope and pylon if a tube and rider submarine a little. What I have is a Y harness designed to hook to my two back transom rings. The tow rope is attached to that Y harness. Gives a nice level ride, avoiding the airborne antics of a higher placed tow rope.

Comment

Can you post a picture of this setup? I am looking into how to tow with my boat.

Comment

I saw the picture you posted. I didn't see any d rings (or transom strap rings) on the back of your boat. I have a 17 footer that I trailer all over, thus the transom strap rings. Is your boat trailerable?

Comment

yeah tubing can be really awesome. I just had a guy pull a tuber over my wake about a hundred feet behind me while I had 10 people on board throwing a big wake. The guy must've jumped ten teet in the air and flew all over but somehow managed to land it for a 2nd go at it. It was pretty cool just to see

Comment

We've tubed a lot, and I've yet to see one of those highly buoyant tubes submarine, so I've long wondered how much that warning was a result of lawyers and how much was a result of real physics. Pulling a skier up out of the water (before he planes) has to be just as much stress....

newboat wrote:
              I have a ski pylon but I do not use it for tubing. There is a warning on the pylon not to use it for tubing because the stress on the pole can damage the boat. They worry about the stress caused on the rope and pylon if a tube and rider submarine a little. What I have is a Y harness designed to hook to my two back transom rings. The tow rope is attached to that Y harness. Gives a nice level ride, avoiding the airborne antics of a higher placed tow rope.

Comment

Yea. I have two tie down rings on the transom. I will get that and see if it works! Thanks.

Comment

JeffBowser wrote:
                  We've tubed a lot, and I've yet to see one of those highly buoyant tubes submarine, so I've long wondered how much that warning was a result of lawyers and how much was a result of real physics. Pulling a skier up out of the water (before he planes) has to be just as much stress....
                  They will submarine if the kids don't keep their weight back. I think some guys do this on purpiose and see how long they can hold on for

Comment

I managed to dunk a 1988 Sea Doo once, does that count???
                    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                    1998 3055 Ciera
                    (yes, a 1998)
                    Previous boat: 1993 3055
                    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                    Sea Doo XP
                    Sea Doo GTI SE
                    Life is short. Boats are cool.
                    The family that plays together stays together.
                    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X