Custom Mattress Recommendations?-gctid396735

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Mattress Recommendations?-gctid396735

So we have done the foam mattress toppers and my wife needs better support in the front berth on our 305. We are willing to spring for a custom mattress, but there are a ton of choices revealed after a google search. I have seen positive things on here regarding www.boatbeds.com. Any firsthand input with a custom mattress? I don't want to spend the money and have her hate it.

Thanks for the input!

Well if you want a real mattress than you are going to have to go the custom route. But have you taken her to a foam shop? Where they have all kinds of densities and thickness? Even foam that is mildew resistant and they can cut it to fit the v-birth? Just a thought.

Comment

The best deal I have seen for a boat replacement mattress if you like the temperpedic is to find one at a Costco type store that is slightly bigger than the boat setup and remove the cover and trim it down.

Otherwise - custom interspring or foam shop can get you there as well.

Personally I am not a great fan of the memory foam but for the 30 or so nights/yr it will be the way we go when we get to that part of our rehab of our boat.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

I just installed a king-size mattress from Handcraft Mattress Company (boatbeds.com) in the aft stateroom of my 3270. I got the 5" latex with the half-inch quilted top. It cost somewhere around $1,500 plus shipping. My wife and I absolutely love it. The construction quality is wonderful. It's a perfect fit.

I dealt with Brian Ogle (Brian Ogle [[email protected]]).

Make sure you do the template exacly as described on HMC's website, including the angle of any mattress edge that meets the hull.
        100T MMC 2307794

Comment

When we moved to our condo last fall we had a local foam mattress maker create a new 10" foam mattress for our 90" round bed, a Sclar Peppler suite we bought when we got married (approx. 100 years ago). It was so nice we had the same company duplicate another mattress for our boat; same stuff, same thickness. They are identical to sleep on and very comfortable. We got to lie on several samplers to see which one we liked best. When the sleep number air bed goes in our motor home, I'll order another duplicate for it.

Comment

I have a down comforter and a regular comforter then sheets then another comforter, its quiet comfortable. The down makes you feel like your floating on air

The admiral has foam in her bed in the back and its alright, still doesnt touch the down

Comment

We put 2 inch space/memory foam UNDER the stock mattress in the cave. It is almost as good as our expensive home one. I put it underneath just for looks not sure if it would be good (we had it on top of our old one) and what a difference it made having it on the bottom.

So if you have one cut already maybe give it a try under.

Comment

We did kind of a hybrid of Special K's idea, that is, we put a foam topper under the stock mattress, and on top of it. So, the stock mattress is now sandwiched between two foam toppers and it feels great, a world of difference, not more sore back!

Comment

We have this at home:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tag=cbowsor-20

We simply love it! I have slept in the Tempur-pedic beds too and they are nothing different, but 4x the price. We will probably buy this for the boat. We have a 3" topper on the stock bed, but the admiral still complains about pressure points (she's pretty thin, lacks padding--it's fine for me).

Since we use king sheets in the front berth, I would expect the king bed to fit reasonably well in there. We sleep in the aft, so I haven't done any measuring in the front berth.

Comment

Working...
                  X