How to attach those long decorative strips inside the cabin-gctid800781

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to attach those long decorative strips inside the cabin-gctid800781

Ever since I owned this boat both those long narrow decorative strips have been laying there unattached. Does anyone know how they were installed or what to use to installed them to the cabin walls

Thanks In A

dvance,

Chuck
    1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
    5.7 Liter Bravo III

My experience. They were held in with stainless screws from the outside, along the same line as your bumper strip. Extra screws along the path taken to join the two half's of the boat together.
    Crash Override
    1989 Bayliner 2455
    Ford 351W (5.8l) OMC Cobra
    Mods: Custom pulpit, 8 million candle power of LED lighting, Lowrance Hook 5, Uniden UM380BK VHF w/8' Whip, Custom 3,000lb cable drive winch w/150 cable+rode, Sound system, upgraded sleeping quarters.

Comment

in looking at your images it appears that there are screw holes on the line where the two halves meet. Maybe slip a ice pick through one to see if it comes out behind the rub rail insert and look at the back of the trim board and see if that is the spot where it was secured. By chance can you take a picture of the back side of the trim panels?

Mike

PS, I'm trying to figure out how to remove mine from my 2004 285 so this might be a answer to my quest too.
      2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
      2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
      2000 Ciera 2455 sold
      Redmond, Washington
      The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

The back of these trim boards have no mounting holes across the whole span. I'm thinking maybe the P/O had them redone but never mounted them back.
        1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
        5.7 Liter Bravo III

Comment

"Chuck Wagon" post=800812 wrote:
          The back of these trim boards have no mounting holes across the whole span. I'm thinking maybe the P/O had them redone but never mounted them back.
          Very likely. I've seen it on other boats where the po gets them off, then realized to screw them back in he'd have to break the seal, who wants to risk that . So they just grind the screws down so no one gets hurt and leave it.

I have mine off right now. I intend on replacing them with some nice cedar strips when it goes back together. I'll be grinding the holes down and using "pl premium" to put the new ones on.
          Crash Override
          1989 Bayliner 2455
          Mods: Custom pulpit, 8 million candle power of LED lighting, Lowrance Hook 5, Uniden UM380BK VHF w/8' Whip, Custom 3,000lb cable drive winch w/150 cable+rode, Sound system, upgraded sleeping quarters.

Comment

That sounds really nice. I'm going to investigate what else I can use to mount these strips and have a clean installed look. I prefer a more non-invasive method. Would love to see your project when its completed. What is "pl premium" ?
            1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
            5.7 Liter Bravo III

Comment

"Chuck Wagon" post=800944 wrote:
              That sounds really nice. I'm going to investigate what else I can use to mount these strips and have a clean installed look. I prefer a more non-invasive method. Would love to see your project when its completed. What is "pl premium" ?
              Thanks. I have a thread on here "2455 reno" or something like that. I'll be updating it with more over the weekend.

Here's a link to the product. https://www.lowes.ca/construction-ad..._g1196140.html
              Crash Override
              1989 Bayliner 2455

Comment

"What is "pl premium"

Construction adhesive in a tube.

I need to take mine off to repair a bow rail stanchion that got crunched. It really makes me scratch my head why these are attached from behind the rub rail, what a PITA. Considering my rub rail insert end joint is at the stern I need to pull it up one side nearly to the anchor to get this stupid trim panel off, oh well sounds like at least a half rack project on a warm day LOL. :S

Anyone have a idea of how to identify the "long" screws that hold on the trim panel?

Mike
                2000 Ciera 2455 sold
                Redmond, Washington

Comment

I'd say it's easier to find the screw points inside and carefully pry them off, without accessing the screws from the outside at all. That was my choice anyway.

"flyman219" post=800968 wrote:
                  "What is "pl premium"

Construction adhesive in a tube.

I need to take mine off to repair a bow rail stanchion that got crunched. It really makes me scratch my head why these are attached from behind the rub rail, what a PITA. Considering my rub rail insert end joint is at the stern I need to pull it up one side nearly to the anchor to get this stupid trim panel off, oh well sounds like at least a half rack project on a warm day LOL. :S

Anyone have a idea of how to identify the "long" screws that hold on the trim panel?

Mike
                  Crash Override
                  1989 Bayliner 2455

Comment

"I'd say it's easier to find the screw points inside and carefully pry them off, without accessing the screws from the outside at all. That was my choice anyway."

Sounds like you have been there done that. If I can locate the screws and pry off the trim panel without destroying it to roll back the headliner, how did you re mount the trim board from the inside?

Mike
                    2000 Ciera 2455 sold
                    Redmond, Washington

Comment

If your careful it can be done. I wasn't careful because I didn't care to keep the old ones, and I only cracked on spot.. Go figure.

Once out.. Drill the screw holes in the panels with a larger bit, using them as mounting points. Then use a very liberal amount of pl premium to stick it back on.

"flyman219" post=800976 wrote:
                      "I'd say it's easier to find the screw points inside and carefully pry them off, without accessing the screws from the outside at all. That was my choice anyway."

Sounds like you have been there done that. If I can locate the screws and pry off the trim panel without destroying it to roll back the headliner, how did you re mount the trim board from the inside?

Mike
                      Crash Override
                      1989 Bayliner 2455

Comment

Just saw this one... I'll take some pictures of how it goes together for you tomorrow.

"flyman219" post=800808 wrote:
                        in looking at your images it appears that there are screw holes on the line where the two halves meet. Maybe slip a ice pick through one to see if it comes out behind the rub rail insert and look at the back of the trim board and see if that is the spot where it was secured. By chance can you take a picture of the back side of the trim panels?

Mike

PS, I'm trying to figure out how to remove mine from my 2004 285 so this might be a answer to my quest too.
                        Crash Override
                        1989 Bayliner 2455

Comment

If you go to a fabric shop, like Fabric Land, you guy buy 1 1/2" or 2" wide heavy duty Velco with adhesive backing. I use this all over to hold stuff. It sticks well to fabric and fibreglass. A no holes alternative :lol:

Comment

Working...
                          X