Advice-- walking away from a 3488-gctid800702

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice-- walking away from a 3488-gctid800702

I'm looking at a 2001 3488 that has been boat house kept and fresh water moored since new. It's apparent the owner cared for the boat, he hired a marina to do annual maintenance on engines and to wax it 2X/year. Boat looks good. I was planning on slinging the boat next week and having hull power washed and inspected. While it was out intended to change anodes on transom, shafts, and thrusters as required. Asked the owner what type of anode he was using magnesium or aluminum. Found out he hasn't changed anodes in 12 years. The marina doing his maintenance never told him they needing replacement.

When looking over the boat, I had checked all seacocks. No corrosion and they were stiff but full range of motion. All through hulls were still bonded to the bolts in transom that retain the master anode. No rust or corrosion there either The prop shafts and logs showed no corrosion. Rudders posts and bolts through the transom don't show obvious corrosion Obviously, the props, cutlass bearing struts, shafts, rubbers and thrusters need to be inspected.

Would you spend $1100 to haul, clean and survey the hull or walk away now?

My first initial thought is, if the owner didn't do any of the work and was willing to spend money to have a marina maintain it for him (getting waxed twice a year on a boat like that is a lot of $$$$), he might not be the most knowledgeable boat owner. Does he have receipts? Did you have a look at them to see if the marina actually put anodes on and the owner just wasn't aware or didn't pay attention?

Having no anodes potentially is a serious concern. Since the owner is admitting this, I'd be splitting the cost or negotiating something for the haul out, knowing that this was a pretty big oversight on the owners part.
    2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
    2009 Subaru WRX STI
    2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

Comment

Did you make an offer that he accepted?

I wouldn't spend any money on someone else's boat unless I planned on purchasing it and we already agreed on a price.
      Esteban
      Huntington Beach, California
      2018 Element 16
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

If the boat looks good, and the bottom looks like it was painted, then the zincs have been changed.

The owner just does not know it.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I tend to agree with ksanders. You could get a diver to take a quick look. Get the name of the techs that have been doing the maintenance and talk to them, you may need the owners permission, but that shouldn't be an issue. If it is an issue its time to put on your running shoes. IMO
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

Fresh water might not be a problem. By looking at mine I don't think they've ever been changed, both the prop rings and the dog bones show little to no erosion. And it's 15 years older. Drive is not corroded in any way. Boat has never been out of a 100 mile range of it's current slip. On a case by case basis it may not be an issue. Wouldn't hurt to have it checked out if it's as pristine as you say.
            -Boatless-

Bryers Cottage Marina
            Harrison Twp, MI

Comment

"kaiserwe" post=800702 wrote:
              I'm looking at a 2001 3488 that has been boat house kept and fresh water moored since new. It's apparent the owner cared for the boat, he hired a marina to do annual maintenance on engines and to wax it 2X/year. Boat looks good. I was planning on slinging the boat next week and having hull power washed and inspected. While it was out intended to change anodes on transom, shafts, and thrusters as required. Asked the owner what type of anode he was using magnesium or aluminum. Found out he hasn't changed anodes in 12 years. The marina doing his maintenance never told him they needing replacement.

When looking over the boat, I had checked all seacocks. No corrosion and they were stiff but full range of motion. All through hulls were still bonded to the bolts in transom that retain the master anode. No rust or corrosion there either The prop shafts and logs showed no corrosion. Rudders posts and bolts through the transom don't show obvious corrosion Obviously, the props, cutlass bearing struts, shafts, rubbers and thrusters need to be inspected.

Would you spend $1100 to haul, clean and survey the hull or walk away now?
              Where are you and where is the boat berthed? Salt or fresh? If you could fill out your profile, you'd get a more tailored response.
              "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
              MMSI: 367637220
              HAM: KE7TTR
              TDI tech diver
              BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
              Kevin

Comment

[quote="kaiserwe" post=800702

Would you spend $1100 to haul, clean and survey the hull or walk away now?[/quote]

How about get a Mechanical Survey and Sea Trial done first -- that will normally be done by a mechanic (likely Cummins engines in that boat, so a Cummins certified guy). Make sure all the engine operations come without any major issues. Then, once you are comfortable with that step, schedule the hull survey do be done out of the water (that's how it should be done anyhow).

I don't think $1100 is steep. The Hull Survey is likely going to be about $600. A haul out is going to be usually another $300 and a couple hundred bucks to clean the boat. Satisfy the conditions of your survey at this point and if you decide to purchase change the anodes to the proper type at this point too, paint the shafts/rudders and bottom while the boat is out so you don't have to do those things later.
                Terry
                1999 Bayliner 3388
                Twin Cummins 4BTA
                Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                X