Compound and wax?-gctid797017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compound and wax?-gctid797017

What's really necessary to keeping gelcoat in good shape. Some people compound, polish, and wax every 3 months... others just wax only once a year. Is compounding even necessary if the gelcoat looks good? What about polishing? Me personally, I use a cleaner wax and then a wax coat once a year and the boat looks good... this is after about 10 years of ownership. Now that I'm looking to get into a new (10 footitis) boat, I'm thinking of the extra work of maintaining the pretty new coat.
    1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Your boat is old enough to do the following once a year...the concept is similar to sanding rough ---> fine:

1. 3M Super Duty compound, applied with a variable RPM machine polisher. Be careful not to lean on it, and especially around decals or stripes.

2. 3M FinesseIt glaze/polish

3. Collinite Paste wax - as many coats as you wish

This should last a full year. Your arms will be absolutely on fire.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Certainly not an expert, it my boat was 3 years old and well taken care of when I bought it late in the 2015 season. Before the next season i Compound, polish and wax as mentioned. Probably put about 4 Coates of Collinite 970 on...just washed down from time to time all season....when I pulled her for the winter layup, I was going to Compound again but after working with it, it didn't need it again. So I just polished and waxed....definitely the hardest is the first time...tough to get rid of years of sins in an afternoon, but it is possible
      Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
      2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
      1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
      1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
      1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
      1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Comment

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...90-waxing-boat
        Sea Venture
        2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
        Cruising the PNW and beyond.