2859 Genset, Heater and A/C?-gctid796570

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2859 Genset, Heater and A/C?-gctid796570

Hello all! New member here. Thanks for this opportunity. I have been on the hunt for a 2859 for a couple of years now and came close a couple of times to purchasing. Awhile ago I found another that met my expectations. It was listed with a genset, heater and a/c but upon closer inspection did not have any of the three. I have a yard that would have installed all three but never went so far as to ask for an estimate? My question is a subjective one, I know, but I wanted to hear thoughts on the pros and cons of either having or not having these items? Particularly from those that were lucky enough to get a boat with these options installed. My territory would likely be the Chesapeake Bay from early spring thru late fall and perhaps south Florida during the winters. This would put a genset, heater and a/c set-up into play. Especially for long overnight weekends. Having spent hundreds if not thousands of hours at sea without either, I recognize these to be luxury items. I can sweat and freeze with the best of them. I am more interested in their efficiency to heat and cool and their reliability over an extended period of time. In short do these features meet or beat the cost to install and/or maintain? And if all things were equal could you or would you want to live with or without these options? I will post this over on the bayliner2859.com site as well. This will help me make a decision for a future purchase, should that opportunity come along again. Thanks to all who post a reply and for maintaining a place to ask questions like this for people like me : )

Welcome to the forum!!

I may be wrong, but I do not believe that a gen and a/c was ever available as an option on the 2859s.

I have seen owners build a soundshield/box, and install the gen on the swim platform, and then use a portable a/c unit.

You could install a reverse cycle a/c heat unit, but they do take up a lot of room with the ducting , and are noisy.
    Joel
    1987 3818 Hino 175
    "Knotty Girl"
    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

We love our 2859, but we do live in Southern California so the Heat/AC is not an issue. It is my understanding that the 2859 was never sold with a gen set, but many dealers did install one where the starboard fish box was located. Maybe other 2859 owners can chine in on the heater issue, but is is my understanding that the model with the AK bulkhead is desirable for the heating area.

As far as the gen set, I would recommend a small portable Honda that you can plug into your shore power connector while you are moored or on the hook. You can also install an inverter to run your small appliances. This will be your least cost option.
      sigpicDave Stancil
      Bayliner #1 in slip
      1993 2859 Classic
      10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
      Bayliner #2 in garage
      2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Comment

Diesel heaters can be bought for around $600 and do not require a generator to keep them going. (AC requires the generator)

I need heat if it's below 70. I have slept under my truck in the desert when it's 95 at night, but that's a dry heat. I don't know what it's going to be like in the summer in Florida on a boat with no AC. Hopefully I'll find out soon.

I've seen 2859's with generators installed on the side where the fish box was. Those generators are expensive and heavy. And it would be 3 feet away from your bed running at night to keep the AC on. Hopefully someone with AC on their 2859 will chime in.
        Esteban
        B-ham!
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

I had AC on my 289, thought about a Honda 3000 on the hardtop. There's a remote wireless aftermarket starter available for those too.

There's no way in hell I'd sleep on a boat in Florida without AC. Nowhere east of the Rockies! I even use the air in LA, because we can.
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "Sea Ya"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I am in the process of installing a new AC unit on my 2859. The boat is new to me, had an AC installed already that the unit had gone bad. The new unit will go under the forward "bed", the same location it was before. It is ducted to two locations in the cabin. I do not have the helm rear bulkhead, mine is canvas curtain. The new AC is 16,000btu and should provide a little cooling to the helm also.

I have shore power, and I plan on using a Honda 2000 generator on my swim platform. I am in Southwest Florida.
            Sometimes there's Justice, sometimes there's just us.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Honda 2000 won't run a 16k btu AC. When my Honda 2000 was new in 2009, it just barely, and not always, could run a 12 k. The Yamaha 2400 might run your 16k, but you'll be best served with a 3000 watt generator.
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
              "Sea Ya"
              Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

He said South Florida in the winter. Perhaps a smaller air conditioner would do the job and a Honda or Yamaha 2000 would do that job. It isn't hot and humid like the summer months.

I second the idea of a small Honda or Yamaha genny. I have a Honda EU2000 and a Yamaha 2400. The 2400 is a lot heavier than the Honda but it does produce just enough more power to run thing better than the Honda. The Honda 3000 is much heavier than the others mentioned and you should check that weight if you are thinking about using it as a portable. That is my reason for suggesting a smaller ac and lighter genny.

Doug
                Started boating 1955
                Number of boats owned 32
                Bayliners
                3870 presently owned
                Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

No matter the season, the start-up amps of a 16k AC will be the same. B) But I agree, a smaller AC such as a 12k or even 10k would work just fine, for the cabin.
                  Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                  "Sea Ya"
                  Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

http://www.championpowerequipment.co...ter-generator/

I bought this for my RV and it's hands down the best generator inverter (in my opinion) after trying the Honda, my buddies Yamaha and the Harbor Freight knock off 2000. My RV has a 15k BTU A/C and none of those would reliably start the A/C, the 2000's not even close. Plus I can pick it up, it's got every connection you can imagine and runs on propane. Makes slightly less power on Propane but it's really quiet, clean and stingy on propane. Iceclimber tested and approved.

Comment

I have the Polaris 2000 watt inverter generator and it runs my 12000 btu reverse cycle heat pump just fine.
                      1995 2858 7.4 B2 (Present boat)
                      1988 2655 460 KC
                      1987 2150 5.0 Cobra
                      Commercial/Ind HVAC/R Service Tech.

Comment

"iceclimber" post=796883 wrote:

I bought this for my RV and it's hands down the best generator inverter (in my opinion) after trying the Honda, my buddies Yamaha and the Harbor Freight knock off 2000. My RV has a 15k BTU A/C and none of those would reliably start the A/C, the 2000's not even close. Plus I can pick it up, it's got every connection you can imagine and runs on propane. Makes slightly less power on Propane but it's really quiet, clean and stingy on propane. Iceclimber tested and approved.
                        Costco?
                        Esteban
                        B-ham!
                        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

The Honda 2000 with a Smart Start will start and run my 1600btu ....
                          Sometimes there's Justice, sometimes there's just us.

Comment

"green650" post=796894 wrote:
                            "iceclimber" post=796883 wrote:

Costco?
                            No, I ordered it on Amazon.I see costco is carrying it now. That's probably the best price you will see, I think I paid that, plus you get Costco's return policy.

https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL...100284958.html

Comment

Thank you all vey much for your replies! What a great way to get quick feedback and ideas! I see there are a few options out there. I think I will start with the easiest method of a portable generator with perhaps some electric heat and possibly a potable a/c unit. If I find that I use them often enough I may over time consider making an investment into a more 'hardwired" configuration? I will update if I go with either option. Thanks for the heads up on the Champion Generator! That thing looks amazing! Great reviews as well. Thanks again everyone! Happy Boating!

Comment

Working...
                              X