Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AIS Tracking System-gctid795437

"Old Man With A Boat" post=795433 wrote:
    Does anyone here use a ATS marine tracking system. If so, tell us about it. Where did you get it and so on. I read about people saying that when they were crossing to the Islands from Florida they were called on the vhf from other boats by there name because it showed up on the ATS.
    I believe you mean AIS - Automatic Identification System. There are lots of videos on YouTube explaining how it works.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/auto...tem-ats-update
    Esteban
    Detroit, MI
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

I do not have a transmitter, but I do use the free app called findship.
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

I did mean AIS
        Just love being on my 3870............Bill
        1985 3870
        Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
        Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
        Live on board full time.
        North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Not sure if you have played with any of the AIS stuff before, Bill, but here are a couple links to check stuff out.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/ works from a pc.

http://www.findship.co/ is an android or apple app. This is what we use when cruising.
          Joel
          1987 3818 Hino 175
          "Knotty Girl"
          Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

AIS is a very cool feature for boats, but often misunderstood. It's an acronym that stands for "Automatic Identification System" (AIS). True AIS is one of two installed systems. It is either a receive only system that passes OTHER ships info to your chartplotter and NMEA network, OR it's a Transmit / Receive system that does that as well as transmits info to other ships in the area. There are a couple of classes, but that's not too important for a layman understanding. A transmitting system encodes information like: Speed, Heading, Status, Destination, Name, Callsign, tec on Channel 70 of the VHF spectrum. This is very cool because you can get information about other vessels around you and most importantly, they can get information about you. VTS (vessel traffic services) also monitor all local AIS traffic and electronically exchanges data with other nearby ships, AIS base stations, and satellites around the world. Essentially, anyone in the world can see the status of your vessel. Its a HUGE safety margin should something go wrong. They keep all the tracks and can essentially rewind and see where you were last and know where to look for you if something went wrong.

Now... these "Apps" you're hearing about are not AIS at all. They are simply web applications that pull data through a cell connection from base stations in the area. It has no pedigree as far as how accurate the date is, how old or accurate. You could be looking at data that is several minutes old, or missing contacts altogether. They're fun, but I would not rely on them for safety.
            Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=795451 wrote:
              AIS is a very cool feature for boats, but often misunderstood. .. .... most importantly, they can get information about you. ........
              I go boating to get away - the LAST thing I want is to invite big brother to hang out with me for the weekend...
              Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
              Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
              Rear Commodore BYC

Comment

I go boating to get away - the LAST thing I want is to invite big brother to hang out with me for the weekend...[/quote]

+1 to that!!!

We use the app for fun only. It is interesting to see where a ship is form, where it is heading, all its details etc etc.
                Joel
                1987 3818 Hino 175
                "Knotty Girl"
                Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

It's not Big Brother, it's other boats in the area knowing where I am and me knowing where I am. It's a safety measure.

Enter a narrow channel with ten other boats, and it's nice to know about that ferry that just left the docks... Or if you get in trouble and hit the DSC button. They'll know exactly where you are. I don't see how that's big brother. You do know they manage waters through VTS just like aircraft right? They have been since 1949.

iBoatNW

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=795474 wrote:
                    It's not Big Brother, it's other boats in the area knowing where I am and me knowing where I am. It's a safety measure.

Enter a narrow channel with ten other boats, and it's nice to know about that ferry that just left the docks... Or if you get in trouble and hit the DSC button. They'll know exactly where you are. I don't see how that's big brother. You do know they manage waters through VTS just like aircraft right? They have been since 1949.
                    I agree that having an AIS receiver aboard is very helpful - as you say, nice to know the ferry is approaching and how fast it's going etc. But as for them knowing about you, by law they have to have their radar up and running, and it has to be monitored, and it has to do collision awareness tracking etc. In other words, for other vessel traffic around you, they already have the technology needed to understand if you are a collision threat. No AIS needed for that.

Regarding the real reason for the AIS push on rec.boaters, have a read - I think the first part of the first sentence about sums it up...:

https://www.sbir.gov/sbirsearch/detail/374002
                    Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
                    Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron
                    Rear Commodore BYC

Comment

I have an AIS receiver connect to my laptop running OpenCpn. Very useful in close quarters around the WSF in places like Eagle Harbor or Rich Passage because it can see around the corners! Also useful when crossing the shipping lanes, it give very accurate collision information so you can make an informed decision to avoid one. Is also useful in the fog, but of course it only shows vessels that have an AIS transmitter.
                      Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

"Nikko" post=795900 wrote:
                        Regarding the real reason for the AIS push on rec.boaters, have a read - I think the first part of the first sentence about sums it up...
                        Nobody pushed AIS on me. It's a very useful safety tool. Your tinfoil hat might be fitted a bit tight.

iBoatNW

Comment

Here is an inexpensive AIS receiver option. Add the NMEA 0183 connector and an antenna, connect it to your chartplotter and done. https://www.tindie.com/products/astu...-ais-receiver/
                          Terry
                          1999 Bayliner 3388
                          Twin Cummins 4BTA
                          Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                          Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

We have a full transmit and Receive AIS

It is very useful (for us) to see other large boats, and to be seen by them in areas that are radar challenges.

KEVIN SANDERS
                            4788 LISAS WAY
                            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Radar can't see around corners like AIS
                              John McLellan White Rock BC
                              "Halifax Jack"
                              1999 2855 383 stroker BII
                              MMSI 316004337

Comment

Working...
                              X