Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discover 246/266 Transom Transducer location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover 246/266 Transom Transducer location?

Those of you with a transom mounted transducer on your Discovery 246/266, can you post a pic of where it is mounted? I'm installing one next weekend (after my thru hull crapped out) and looking to see where everyone mounted theirs. Where my current speed wheel is located, I'm afraid the trailer bunk would hit it.

Nick
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 03-08-2020, 03:07 PM.

Little hard to see under swim ladder beside trimtab works good

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/699732=29258-_facebook_932321961.jpg[/img]

Comment

Ok thanks, thats where my useless speed wheel is now, I see they just mounted it a bit above the bottom of the boat.

Do you have any problems tracking bottom while at full speed?

Comment

At full speed it will sometimes go out depending on conditions but real good at cruising speed

Comment

jamie mac wrote:
          At full speed it will sometimes go out depending on conditions but real good at cruising speed
          I ripped out the digital depth finder transducer and replaced it with a through hull in the same spot for my Lowrance GPS. Works great. I just couldn't bear to drill a new transom!

BTW, any way you can measure the locations of the roof clamshell holes on the hardtop? I'm ready to give this a try. Send a PM if possible as I only get to check this site occasionally now that I am retired.
          2007 Discovery 246
          300mpi BIII
          Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

I hate screwing things into my transom, so what I now do is to take a couple of pieces of UHMW (cheaper) or Starboard about 1/2" thick and cut and mold them to the lower edge of my transom. I secure them to the transom with a combination of a few screws (I counter sink the holes in the UHMW so that I can fill them in above the screw head) and 4200. This creates a semi permanent mounting location for various items. By using 1/2" materiel thickness I can use 1/2" long S/S screws which provide a very secure attachment for transducers, speed sensors ect. This also eases replacement of said items because their mounting screws never touch the transom, only the UHMW.

The blade of the prop is hiding the transducer, but you can see how my speed sensor mounts to this set-up. I'll try and get a better pic this evening once it cools down some.

Comment

I am mounting a Garmin downView and sideView transducer on the tea some of my 246. I did t want to drill into the hull below the water line if I didn’t have to, so I purchased a “Stern Pad”. It comes with a 3M adhesive backing that lets you mount it and then screw transducer into the pad. Will post final pictures once complete.
              JAX, FL
              2007 Bayliner 246 Mercruiser 5.7L 250HP I/O
              Zodiac (WestMarine) 8.5’ inflatable 3HP Yamaha (SOLD)
              1999 Trophy 2002 WA 150HP Mercury OB (SOLD
              Starcraft 17’ Tri-hull (SOLD)

Comment

• builderdude
                builderdude commented
                Editing a comment
                Op left the building🥴

• Dave Boroughes
                Dave Boroughes commented
                Editing a comment
                How do you like the stern pad?

• Ryderpd
                Ryderpd commented
                Editing a comment
                I love the stern pad. It was easy to install, with clear directions. The transducer mounted to it without any issues. I’ll upload final pictures and reviews soon.

Yeh, I saw it’s an old post but it was hard finding info on a transom install for this boat and I thought I would post info since the sideVu stuff is getting really good and it’s time where many are probably upgrading their 246/266.

hopefully this will be helpful to someone doing a similar install.
              JAX, FL

Comment

• tekreck
                tekreck commented
                Editing a comment
                Very helpful as I got new Garmin during West Marine sale this past week and have to mount the transducer.

Final stern pad/transom mount transducer location.
              JAX, FL

Comment

• tekreck
                tekreck commented
                Editing a comment
                I ordered one this morning.
            Working...
            X