Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a 1986 Contessa Sunbridge 2850, What to look for on test drive?-gctid395844

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a 1986 Contessa Sunbridge 2850, What to look for on test drive?-gctid395844

I'm getting back in the game. My 2455 sunbridge motor blew a few years ago and since we wanted a bigger cruiser any way I sold it. I'm doing a test run on a 1986 Contessa Sunbridge 2850, 325 hp. Saturday. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to look for or besure to check for.

Also any info on the Contessa would be appricated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This year model would be equipped with be Volvo Penta engine/drive. This is a plus!

When properly taken care of, these drives are pretty much bullet proof.

Nice smooth cone clutch gear engagement to boot.

I'm not aware of a 325 hp SBC engine being available in this model, so you'll want to check out and learn just which engine this is.

Perhaps the boat was fitted later on with a BBC.

If SBC, make sure that automotive build techniques were not used for this. We don't get 325 hp from a SBC without using automotive build techniques, and that rarely works out for a Marine application.

You can plan on replacing the sea water pump impeller, drive shaft bellows, etc.

Don't take a PO's word at replacements, unless you see the documentation.

PDS bearing replacement will be on your list, unless recent documentation shows that they have been replaced.

Lastly, but not least....., hire a surveyor, it will be money well spent.

Look at the transom shield set pin ears. At this age, we'll find that these can become corroded.

Likewise with the forward area of the Intermediate housing at the lower pivot tube boss.

Ask the surveyor to examine the exhaust system, and take a close look at the rubber couplers that join the risers to the Y-pipe.

Read this thread regarding this.

A good surveyor will know exactly where and what to look for.

Have fun, and good luck!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
    X