Hino EH700TI V-belt change on my 3888

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hino EH700TI V-belt change on my 3888

It looks like the belts on my port engine need to be tightened (much more than the 1/2 inch deflection). The alternator bracket seems to be at full end of adjusting slot, so no room to take up tension. Do I need to back down the raw water pump bracket to loosen and remove that belt in order to remove the main belts? Should I swap the raw water belt at the same time? Seems like an obvious yes. Any tips helpful. Also, I am in SF Bay Area so I am looking for best location for both engine and boating parts, filters etc., chandlery/ Any local resources would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 09-20-2018, 12:17 AM.

Your belts may be different as my EH700's are naturally aspirated, but I bought my belt set from NAPA. Here's that portion of my onboard spares list. The prices are "abouts" and may vary.

Alternator Belt - NAPA 25-22545 $27

Waterpump Belt - NAPA 25-22443 $20

Also check the Motoryacht forum. There's a spec list for most of the engines with part numbers in many cases.

I would do all and on both engines, but that's me.

As far as engine parts, my first call for hino stuff is to Earl the Baylinerguru. My next sources are Amazon, Fisheries Supply in Seattle and Harbor Marine in Everett, WA, especially for transmission stuff. I love going in shops that carry salvaged gear and out of the way boat shops.

Btw, getting to the locking bolts on that port pump is a pita. Ive had success going from between the engines and reaching under to get at them, then going to the outboard side to run the adjustment bolt, then, yup, back over to the center to tighten things up.

You just got that boat didn't you? How's it working so far?

Pete
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Yes loose water pump

Yes I would replace all

Here some napa numbers I have used for the

Alt NAPA #25-22545 (2)

Raw water pump NAPA #25-22443

Hope this helps
      Mark
      USCG OUPV
      1990 4588
      Carlsbad, CA

Comment

The boat came with two sets of replacement belts from Hino. Got lucky on that I guess. Not sure what "pita" means in pcPete's post, but if it is anything like a pain in the a$$, I must concur. Do I understand there are locking bolts on the raw water pump bracket that must be loosened first? Gotta get my mirror out to seem em. I suppose the starboard bracket will show the same thing. Either way, it sounds like a knuckle banger. Thanks for the part numbers!! NAPA is a lot closer than Japan. I haven't taken her out of the slip due to bad weather down here lately, hope to move around soon.

Comment

Be sure you ask for a matched pair of belts. There is a difference.

Doug
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned
          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Nota type of bread, it's code for pain in the a......
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

YES, there are four bolt/nuts that need to loosen alot under the water pump first, then use the adjusting bolt to loose the tension.

I suggest you take the hino belts to your local auto/truck parts store and ask them to measure and get your replacement sets now so you always have a spare. Cheap insurance that replacements are the right size (I assume they would be same as mine but why not play it safe since you have new factor sets). Also it is always a good idea to have at least one set belts per engine, we have had many trip save by having spare parts (belts and impellers and water pump rebuild kits are our best friends
              Mark
              USCG OUPV
              1990 4588
              Carlsbad, CA

Comment

On the hunt for the correct belt.. The 55.8" belts are just too long.. I have a stack of belts that came with the boat that are actually 54 3/8" long outside diameter and they still have slop in them. Went to napa and got one that's 53 7/8", but now that one is beyond too short.. I'm completely baffled that just a half inch could create the amount of difference in these two belts..

In any event, the napa number listed in the stickie, does not fit my 1989 Hino EH-700T... Having a hard time today... Lol...

Comment

I tried the Napa route as well, no joy there. Finally ordered the proper Hino belts, matched set, perfect fit, not much more money.
                  Peace of mind, priceless
                  1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                  Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                  Lowrance Electronics!
                  MMSI
                  VHF
                  CFA 2587
                  Boating on Georgian Bay
                  Currently on the Great Loop

Comment

I figured out the dilemma here..... Turns out, the NAPA belts have a larger V, and do not fit the pulley grooves the way they should.. This is the reason for the drastic differences in the way my belts fit, and why I'm guessing the 55.8" length is required from a NAPA belt.. Ordered a set just for grins to make sure they will fit... But please note, properly fitting belts will have a diameter in the 54" range, possibly 53.5" when they sit in the groove correctly.. Planning to call one if my old belt contacts that I used to use for machinery to see if I can get a bulk rate on the RIGHT belts.. If it's something I can get for decent prices, I'll post here and see if we can get a big bulk order going.
                    Last edited by Swimmster; 09-20-2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X