Strange buzzing and clicking-gctid395729

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange buzzing and clicking-gctid395729

I am on the lake minding my own business, and some rain clouds start coming my way. Nothing major really, a little rain that lasted no more than five minutes before the clouds went away. What was strange was the sound.

A few minutes before the rain, I started hearing this faint hissing sound. Upon paying a bit more attention, it turned out to be a high frequency buzzing coming from the radio antenna and behind the panel in the vicinity of the radio (VHF). The sound was then accompanied by a ticking sound that got faster and faster. I turned off the radio, but there was no change in either sound. The buzzing was definitely coming from the antenna, and the route that the cable follows to the radio, and the ticking was persistent. After the rain, the sounds were gone.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I would think it might have to do with some electrical discharge from the clouds, but this was not an electrical storm. It was not a storm to start with, either. Just some weak clouds that passed by. Any ideas?

CE

Nuclear rain. You are now radioactive......

Comment

Not an uncommon thing in your part of the world where there can easily be a charge attached to cloud cover and enough moisture in the air for a path between the negative and positive charge. Buzzing antennae are usually the result of the charge finding a ground thru your radio. You can usually make the buz go away be disconnecting your antenna from the radio (preferably before the lightning bolt strikes - that could ruin your whole day)

Comment

Once upon a time, when I was salmon fishing...

Around mid morning, a fresh breeze swept over the ocean. The sky darkened the surrounding fog. I looked around at the ocean and noticed the waters turned inky black. The increasing breeze created bright white foam, that danced around the boat. The popping, splashing foam, showed brightly on the darkening waters. I remembered the locals calling this condition ÔÇ£Popcorn chopÔÇØ. I stretched upwards from the heavy plank seat of the pier boat, looking in all directions at this unusual spectacle.

The next moment I shall never forget. I felt my hair shoot straight up in all directions. Each hair was waving in all directions. I felt a million stings on my scalp. My eyes open widely. A blue green aura surrounded me. I realized that I was close to being hit by lightening and threw myself into the bottom of the boat. Frightened, I pressed my self into the slatted bottom of the boat, my head resting next to a squished tray of pungent smelling anchovies. I looked upwards suspiciously at the sky and noticed my carbon fiber Lamiglass rod sticking skyward. I crawled forward, grabbed the rod and slipped it under the seat planks with me.

On another occasion,

"Rock Cod Rodney" was one of our old time fishermen. He was a famous Commercial fisherman from Santa Cruz all the way to Dutch Harbor. We were having a beer when he told the following tale. He was piloting a Commercial boat off Alaska in a wicked storm. The boat's cabin had side doors. He told me he hated boats with side doors to the cabin. As his boat crashed through the storm, a blue light settled all over the boat. He said it felt like a large hand was reaching through the cabin of the boat. A moment later, the blue green image of the ancient mariner appeared before him, warning that he would be lost. At this point he was so scared, he decided to leave the cabin. He threw open the side door and just before stepping out, noticed the safety railing had been swept away. He pulled himself back into the cabin and shut the door. At this point I figured that I was just hearing at tall tale when I noticed the look on Rodney's face. He had a 1000 yrd stare and was was trembling in terror. Based on his expression, I reconsidered his tale.

Be careful out there .

Comment

Nuclear rain. You are now radioactive......
          This. Have you noticed a sudden ability to walk up the sides of buildings and spray a web from your wrists?

Comment

Working...
          X