Anchor chain?-gctid395601

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchor chain?-gctid395601

Silly question, but what is the purpose of the long chain between the anchor and rode? I was thinking of cutting mine down from its long status to short (2-3 feet) as its kind of a pain to hand jack up without a pulpit.

long story short....it helps the anchor dig in

Comment

Actually, it KEEPS the anchor dug in when the wind picks up.

More chain on the bottom is better. You should have a minimum feet of chain equivalent to the length of your boat.

Anything less - then you're really just a lunch anchor, not an overnight.

With more chain on the bottom, when the wind really blows. you will get a pull that is horizontal to the bottom, which will dig your anchor in more.

If you only have a few feet chain, the force of the wind will cause that rode (line and chain) to lift and will pull your anchor free.

In this picture, see how the chain stays on the bottom. If you have little or no chain, and the wind blows, the line will lift

And then your dragging anchor, usually in the middle of the night. And possibly hitting other things (boats, rocks, etc)

Pat
      Paragon
      1999 4788

Comment

I'd leave it as is. The chain adds to the anchor's ability to lay nicely against the bottom.

If the feel of the chain bothers you, switch to a G4 in a size that is comfortable for you.... perhaps 1/4".

Make yourself a nice chain/line splice as well.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

What others have said is true. That being said, I cut my chain down too. Have never once had the anchor drag. The ruling that you should have a length of chain equal to that of your boat is like the 7:1 ratio of scope.....not necessary unless your trying to anchor in a squal. Ultimately your choice.

Comment

Seaquel wrote:
            What others have said is true. That being said, I cut my chain down too. Have never once had the anchor drag. The ruling that you should have a length of chain equal to that of your boat is like the 7:1 ratio of scope.....not necessary unless your trying to anchor in a squal. Ultimately your choice.
            While chain=boat length is a good rule of thumb it can vary depending on many factors including where you anchor, condition of the bottom, wind, current, boat size and chain size. I've also heard this expressed as chain should equal 1 lb for every foot of boat but not all chain is 1 lb per foot so that can change how much chain you have.

In any case, 2-3 foot of chain is a bad idea, IMHO, unless you have a 2 foot dinghy in which case it's just right. LOL

Comment

When we got our 2651 it only had about 5' of chain and a small danforth. It would drag in high wind conditions. When we started taking it to the Gulf, we bought a Fortress FX-11, 30' of chain and 300' of 7/16 rope. What a difference! We've overnighted in some pretty rough conditions out at the barrier islands and never moved. Kinda neat the first time we dove of our boat and I went to check the anchor and could actually SEE it work. I would say 20' of the 30' of chain was laying on the bottom! This was in light to moderate conditions 5~8knt wind and 1~2ft sea. I'm a believer in the chain!

Comment

Resqme49 wrote:
                Silly question, but what is the purpose of the long chain between the anchor and rode? I was thinking of cutting mine down from its long status to short (2-3 feet) as its kind of a pain to hand jack up without a pulpit.
                More chain is always better. Here's mine.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

The chain also protects the rode from abrasion. Some bottoms can eat nylon rope up pretty quickly.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                    More chain is always better. Here's mine.
                    Makes sense you are getting rid of the classy Tiara and upgrading to a Sea Ray like the rest of your family... _^_

Comment

Having lots of chain can do a lot for you. I regularly anchor in very deep waters with 2:1 scope or even less. I have 25 feet of chain. We simply never drag anchor, even with that minimal scope.

Comment

Working...
                      X