switching from fishing boat to a cruiser-gctid347413

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switching from fishing boat to a cruiser-gctid347413

First time posting. I've been lurking for a week or so. Hello to all. I currently have a Polar 2300wa with an outboard. Last couple of years my wife and I(as well as friends and family) have really changed our boating style. I have really gotten away from fishing so much and more into cruising. We have been looking at the new 2012 Bayliner 285 cruiser. Does anyone here have one or something similar? Maybe some in and outs of making the switch? We are still in the question and answer state. We will use our current boat this year and towards the end of this year or beginning of next year we will pull the plug. Anyone have any idea of how this boat rides and handles? Does it pitch and roll or is it pretty stable? Mine has a pretty deep V and I believe it has a 24* deadrise so it rocks and rolls quite abit. Something the wife does not like too much. She wonders if the 285 will do the same. Also sitting up higher above the waterline will she feel the affects more. I don't believe it will due to the much lower 17* deadrise. Any help and insite is greatly appreciated.

Tim

Welcome to BOC!

I had a chance to get on one of the new 285's at our boat show a week or so ago they are pretty nice. There are quiet a few members with 285/2855's here that can give you info about the boat itself. As far as pitch and roll from what I have been told the 285's ride very nice. The roll should be somewhat reduced due to the wider beam, but it will still have a little but nothing compaired to a fishing boat.

You are really looking at a nice boat, the fit and finsh of them is amazing.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right on about the wider beam helping to keep the pitch and roll down quite a bit. And I was also impressed with the fit and finish of the boat. I'm hoping to make a trip up to the dealer sometime later this year to crawl all over to get a deeper look into the boat. I'd aslo like to do a sea trial.

Comment

Welcome! My version of the 28 I believe has a 19* deadrise, and is very stable. The beams are similar as are the weights, which contribute to stability. If I were buying a new 285, I would pay the extra money for the bow thruster option. It will help tremendously in slow speed maneuvering and docking. Also closed cooling and air conditioning...
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghBUa...e_gdata_player good review

Comment

My brotherinlaw has one with extended swim platform.his son has limited mobility and they find it quite comfortable

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I want the bow thruster for the reason you stated above. I thought it would greatly help around the docks. That was a great review. Thanks for posting as I haven't seen that one before. And as for the extended swim platform. I also will get that. My brother and a few of our friends are in wheelchairs. I think it will provide safer and easier boarding trying to carry them on. Thanks for the insite on how it rides. I would aslo think that it will be better on the hook due to the lower deadrise. We also want the AC as it will make weekend cruising more comfy for the wife. Do any of you have the gen set?

Comment

riznfall wrote:
                Thanks for the replies. I want the bow thruster for the reason you stated above. I thought it would greatly help around the docks. That was a great review. Thanks for posting as I haven't seen that one before. And as for the extended swim platform. I also will get that. My brother and a few of our friends are in wheelchairs. I think it will provide safer and easier boarding trying to carry them on. Thanks for the insite on how it rides. I would aslo think that it will be better on the hook due to the lower deadrise. We also want the AC as it will make weekend cruising more comfy for the wife. Do any of you have the gen set?
                my brotherinlaws son also uses a wheelchair to get to boat

Comment

I have the 02 version of what you are looking at and love it. Mine has 21 degree dead rise which makes it cut through the waves pretty good. The downside to this is as you mentioned, at slow speed and at anchor she can get pretty rooly. I think the newer model has less dead rise. A blessing and perhaps a curse. Overall I,m sure you will love it!

Comment

10 years ago I too traded in my fishing boat for a 1996 2855 and LOVE IT. One thing about fishing boats, they are built only for fishing with very little sitting room for a group of people. Cruises on the other hand do everything...I have fished, crabbed, pulled a tube, and mostly go to restaurants along the river. I also have had BBQ's on the boat with a BBQ grill I purchased years ago. Lots of fun. I'm not sure of the degree of rise, but it does "roll" on occasion when I get caught up between wakes of boats hitting me sideways. I wish I had the bow thruster...it will come in handy, especially in strong cross winds.

Mike

Comment

Yes as you. We are really looking forward to making the change. And I figured I'd also be able to put a rod or two on there. It'll be all I need. Wish I could pull the plug now. But the extra time will give me time to start clearing everything out of mine and repair or replace anything that needs it. We have extremely happy with our wa. Just doesn't fit our needs anymore. We have been looking into cruisers the past couple of years and that's more of the style of boat we need. Not only that but to have the creature comforts that's offered with a cruiser.

Comment

My wife and I stepped up to a 2003 285 from a 2355 four years ago, love the boat very much. It handles Lake Ontario very well with its 21 degree died rise and is quite fuel efficient with its single screw 5.7 Mag and Bravo 3.

We have looked at many larger boats from different manufactures and I must say that the 285 has to be the best in its class; however, I personally do not like the new 285 model. I am still on the fence about the reversed radar arc; I think that the extra frame work would be more of hassle. I also find that there is a noticeable difference in the overall size of the cabin as opposed to the older models.

On a positive note I do like the new sliding door that has been added to the gangway.

If you are interested in a cruiser new or used I suggest that you look for one with A/C. Our 285 came with A/C and the previous own installed a bow thruster which makes docking a dream.

Comment

Any idea on how much it would cost to add the bow thrusters?

Comment

I have the Sideshift www.sideshift.com I believe it will run about $3,000. Money well well spent.

www.sideshift.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply about the 285. I do like some of the older features also. But the wife doesn't. And you know what they say. If shes not happy than no one is. As far as the current options that are available on the new one. We will get almost all of them. We want to get the ac/heat, generator, bow thruster, the garmin electronic package, the stern fridge, bow cushions and rails, etc. I unfortunately rushed purchasing our current boat do to the fact I got too excited to wait to order what we had wanted. So we decided to wait this time and get everything we want from the beginning. I'm hoping to have everything on my end squared away and ready to pull the plug at the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X