It finally happened to me too!-gctid395463

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It finally happened to me too!-gctid395463

I was anchored at the beach for about three hours today, changing the prop, cleaning the bottom, relaxing, etc. When it was time to go, the engine would not start. I tried and tried, to no avail. This had never happened to me before. Could a prop change cause this somehow? Did I possibly block the exhaust? How about sand ingestion from shallow water? Nothing made sense. I was about to give in and call a tow. Then it hit me... I had engaged the engine kill switch before changing the prop. Doh!

CE

We should have tee shirts made.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Several years ago, this happened to me in a different way. The admiral and I were on our boat on the day after it was purchased and launched. We were cruising in the channel returning to our marina and got pulled over by the San Joaquin County Sheriff because our tags were expired (new ones were ordered but not yet received). As we were getting ready to return to the marina, our boat wouldn't start. The sheriff's boat offered us a tow, and in the middle he asked us if our engine kill was engaged. Surely enough, it was. We looked like complete jacka$$es. Looking back at it, it was hilarious. :hammer

Comment

CruisinErie:

To help you feel better, I'll tell you my story which happened long ago when boats had barely evolved beyond the hollowed-out log stage. I had a 13 foot wooden runabout with a 1953 25hp hand-start Johnson. I had invited a cute young thing to go boating with me, and the launch went pretty well. However, I could not start the engine. I grew hot, sweaty, and frustrated; finally taking off the engine's cover and pulling off parts while the sweet young thing looked on. At some point I glanced down and noticed the fuel line laying on the floor near the transom. I plugged it in, squeezed the bulb and pulled the engine cord. Of course it fired right up. She probably still thinks I'm a mechanical genius, because I didn't have the heart to tell her I was just dumb. On the other hand, perhaps she was merely being diplomatic.

Safe and Happy Boating!

ColonyCove

Comment

JimMc wrote:
          Large please!

Comment

ColonyCove wrote:
            CruisinErie:

To help you feel better, I'll tell you my story which happened long ago when boats had barely evolved beyond the hollowed-out log stage. I had a 13 foot wooden runabout with a 1953 25hp hand-start Johnson. I had invited a cute young thing to go boating with me, and the launch went pretty well. However, I could not start the engine. I grew hot, sweaty, and frustrated; finally taking off the engine's cover and pulling off parts while the sweet young thing looked on. At some point I glanced down and noticed the fuel line laying on the floor near the transom. I plugged it in, squeezed the bulb and pulled the engine cord. Of course it fired right up. She probably still thinks I'm a mechanical genius, because I didn't have the heart to tell her I was just dumb. On the other hand, perhaps she was merely being diplomatic.

Safe and Happy Boating!

ColonyCove
            Funny story Bill. I would have never fessed up either. Good for you lol. Remember the days when checking your fuel was as scientific as picking up the red tank and swishing it around. You knew if you had enough by the weight and the swish. I ran out of gas that way once. I mis-judged my swish.

Comment

CruisinErie: heart dropping feeling isn't!.. samething happened to me and all i could think about was "how much is this going to cost"

JimMc wrote:
              I'll take two please!

Comment

I feel your pain. Last year we were just drifting down the river when i started to get to close to shore i firgured it was time to move. Turn the key and nothing. I started looking over everything i could think of and nothing. I called my buddy to come tow me luckily i was only a few minutes from the marina. So once back at the dock i was just staring at the boat and it hit me. I never checked to see if it was in neutral. I must have hit the shifter at some point and didnt realize it. Felt like an idiot explaining to everyone at the marina why i got towed and what was wrong

Comment

Working...
                X