Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy-gctid395406

GREETINGS.

I just purchased a 92 Classic 2452 and would like advice on how to operate the boat at its optimum. The previous owner left me no manuals so I'm finding things out slowly using the trial and error method , ( which is frustrating and expensive.)

Please tell me about the fresh water system on board. How do I empty the tank? what is the best way to winterize the system? Can I upgrade the hand pump to a pressurized version, (I'm fairly experienced with RV systems)? Can you tell me what to do to sanitize the system before I start using it for drinking, cooking, and brushing my teeth?

I would also appreciate any ideas about how to aquire an operator''s manual for this year/model.

Looking forward to lots of good times on the water.

Nanmar

Fun. You will get lots of help here. First off, never approach anything faster then you want to hit it.

Everyone will want to know where you boat, the engine, store it the water or trailer etc. ZGive us a brief resume' and you will get everything you need, (and lots you don't) but that all helps too.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the gang!

RinnyBeth, one of the members here, just posted earlier today the bayliner site for parts catalogs and manuals.

http://www.baylinerparts.com/1992/19..._reference.htm

Good luck with your new boat!!!

Ed

Comment

Welcome to the zoo.

I will answer one for you- how do you empty the water tank- open a faucet! When you say hand pump, is it not a pressurized system?

Wally world or west marine have plenty of supplies to sanitize your water tank. Perhaps you have a water filter somewhere, I would look for that too.

Have fun and post pics- no pics, it didnt happen. ;raseberry

Comment

I had a 1992 2452 for 16 seasons that I bought new. It does not have a pressurized water system, but rather a hand pump at the sink. I replaced mine with an electric pump and faucet set. There's a switch you mount at the sink that turns the pump on. This was one of my wife's favorite upgrades. This is the one I had:

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/ITT...th+Faucet.html

I installed it at the outlet to the water tank (under starboard floor cockpit hatch). I got some tubing, fittings and clamps so the water came from the storage tank, into the pump, then out the pump back into the original line that feeds the sink. The electric was fairly easy to run from the back of the dashboard (where the fuses are), to the pump, and then to the switch at the sink. That wire ran up the port side storage, thru the head and into the cabinet.

I put plugs on the wiring to the pump so I could easily unhook it at the end of the season, and take it home, not worrying about it freezing.

Paul
          2008 Rinker 330 EC
          Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
          2007 285 (sold)
          350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

Welcome to the club!

What systems have you tested so far?

What experience with boating do you have?

Have you taken a boating safety course? Would recommend doing that if you haven't.

As others stated, post lots of pics. Check out the Completed Projects section also for ideas. There are lots of 2452 owners here.

Comment

Don't know specifics about how to operate your style pump - but as for how to maintain the system, etc. If you do a search you will find a very detailed post about how to either maintain, or if first time, purge your fresh water tank.

In it's simplicity it involves about 1 cup of bleach mixed with 1 gallon water, add to tank, flush all pipes until you are sure bleach is in the lines, let sit 24 hours, then flush with fresh water until bleach is gone.

There are other remedies, so happy searching/reading.

Comment

We have been around puget Sound/Hood Canal since the early 70s, but didn 't have the wherewithall to buy a boat of our own until 1999. We now live in Eastern Washington so the big lakes and Columbia river are potential destinations. Started small, 12' Duroboat, followed by a brand new duroboat 14' w/ 20hp honda. Last boat was 16' Smokercraft.

We have owned RVs for the last 30 years and much of the same style of engineering seems to apply to boats, just more expensive because parts must be "marine".

Thanks for the idea about the switch and pump. I just need to know if there is a drain valve for the freshwater tank, and where the outlet is located. A schematic of the boat would be ideal.

I'll try the website for manuals.

this forum idea is new to me so please be patient.

thanks again

ed

Comment

As I recall there was no specific "drain valve" for the water tank. What I did at the end of the season was undo the fitting where it came out of the tank and let the water drain into the bilge. The outlet end of the water tank is on the starboard side (drivers side) of the boat, underneath the floor storage hatch.

Paul
                  2008 Rinker 330 EC
                  Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
                  2007 285 (sold)
                  350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

I think one of the best ways to winterize your boat is to forget about all responsibilities and bring it down to Florida during the winter. We take ours out year around down here and never worry about anything freezing. :kidding

Ed's link to the bayliner manuals is a pretty good one. I did try to use the link and it redirected me to a page that I couldn't interact with. Try this link. http://www.baylinercustomercare.com/catalogs_index.html It is the same as Ed's link. It just takes you to a differnt part of the website.

click on the year of your boat at the top and the the model to the left. It should work.

Comment

If you'r'e completely new to boating, I strongly suggest taking the USCG Aux or US Power Squadron boating classes. Also, I recommend reading the Chapman's book.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700525=29363-Chapmans.jpg[/img]

Comment

Google search Peggie Hall Marine Sanitation. She is considered the expert on marine plumbing odors.

Comment

If you are familiar with RV equipment then you can work on the boat. Nowhere does it say that RV equipment will not work on a boat. Most of the lines fittings etc are going to be the same. If you are in salt water I can see using brass fittings, pumps etc but I think if you start looking at parts you will not find much difference outside of the price.

Comment

ohhh that is a nice purchase, congratulations!

i am using my father's boat now, and saving to buy one for myself

Comment

Working...
                            X